Magruder Corridor

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NorthIdaho800gsa, Jul 21, 2019.

1. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I left my home on wed the 17th at 1700. Why so late you ask, because my buddy who was supposed to be going with didn't get off work until 1630. Well, he bailed....no surprise there. I get all packed up and as I'm turning onto the highway I pass another rider and I wave. Huh, that looks like another buddy of mine. Couldn't be though, he is on a trip and won't be home for a few more days. Nope, it was him. So I turn around and run him down to give him my best go with me peer pressure speech. I laid it on pretty thick too, all to no avail. He wasn't going. I noticed his windshield was missing. Appearently he managed to get into a head on collision with another bike. I thought he was joking and I continued to laugh at him. Nope, he was serious. How the hell did you manage to hit the other 3ft wide vehicle on the road? Yeap, got me on that one. Anywho, his vagina was hurt and he was going home. Par for the course. I have one more chance, on to my original buddies house to let him redeem himself for bailing. Got there and laid it on pretty thick aswell. Nope, he is still out. So, like usual, just me. Onward.

So, I head over to clark fork and head south. Some easy dirt forest roads until prichard. This route is awesome because it has good views, follows the river for awhile and never has many people. From prichard onto wallace. It is pretty dark by this time. I'm jamming out to my tunes and see something out of the corner of my eye. Shit, A moose tried to t-bone my....wtf. Missed my by a foot or so.....shit. Then, about 1/4 mile up the road 2 elk run out in front of me and I lock it up. This is the first time on the road my front abs has ever kicked in. Good to know it works. Now I really can't wait to get to wallace and into my cabin.

I rented a cabin for the night at the rv park. The cabins there are awesome for what they are. Now I'm inside I need to figure out where I am going. I rarely if ever have a plan. Hell, i don't even have a general direction after this though. So, I need to figure that out and it's late......really late actually. So, I get some opinions on the magruder corridor. I've heard it is pretty bad ass and I have time, why not. So, with the blessing of the forum, I'm off to bed.

Next morning all packed up and ready to go I goto check out of my cabin and pay the tab. As I am doing this I ask the gal about a place to eat. She rattles off this list and then at the very end says, and the best place is probably the Brooks Motel. To which I say, next time just start with that. Then she kinda chuckles. I stop to top off with fuel and off to breakfast. Breakfast was ok. Now, on with the ride.

I head south into avery. This section of road is usually pretty awesome.....so what gives. The road was very soft and squishy and wet. WTF, I was all over the place. Well, turns out they are blading the road in front of me and the water truck guy was really getting after it...lol. O'well, is what it is. Another great section of dirt/gravel road. Great views and it passes through a few tunnels and also follows a creek for some ways.

When you hit avery it turns to asphalt and follows the St.Joe river. This is a gorgeous section of road. When you get to the Montana state line the road turns to gravel. A pretty nice gravel road at that. When I get to St.Regis I hop onto the Interstate and make my way into Missoula. My first stop is the RMEF visitors center. Then onto Taco Johns. Because Taco Johns is awesome. While I'm there the front desk/tech guy from Missoula BMW walks in and he sees me and shakes his head. Shit you not, everytime I'm in that place I see him.......every time. So, we sit down and chat for some time. Then, down the road.

My wife calls and asks where I am, i replied Missoula. She asked what I was doing there, she thought I was staying in Idaho. To which I replied I was. I just had to go through Montana to get there. My wife and I have been together long enough, she knows when to give up. So, she asks where I'm staying. I said I met this gal on tinder who needed some tuition money, so I was staying with her tonight. Long pause, that's not nice she says and laughs.

The plan was just to make it to the first camp ground at a decent hour and do some fishing and tackle the corridor in the morning. I stopped at the Ranger station and it was locked up, nobody around....huh. So, I decided since I was there I was going to use there crapper. Well, poor life choice that was. I dang near fell into the thing. It had a toilet seat and when I sat down I found out very quickly said seat wasn't connected to anything. It quickly flew to the side and down I went. Fuck! I don't even want to know what my ass just came into contact with. So, after the baby wipes come out, I'm off again.

I met a couple folks on their way out and waved. Then nobody, at all, for hours. I rode up to the opservation lookout camp ground. Seen some folks camped there. It was still fairly early and I wasn't ready to stop yet. I really wanted to fish. Up until now I had been pretty disappointed with the route. All I have heard is how awesome this trail is. BS. For one, it's not a trail, it's a fucking dirt road and a pretty nice one at that. I managed 45 mph in a few sections and and sustained 30 mph or so pretty much the whole way. There was nobody on the trail, at all....just me. Huh, I though this place was supposed to be busy. You know how when you ride angry and your by yourself, shit just gets worse.....this was no exception.

So, I press on. It's starting to get dark now. So, all lights on. When i finally stop just shy of midnight I made camp on the west end. I was so angry, that I couldn't fall asleep. All I've heard is how awesome this route is. It is 100+ miles of burnt trees and dirt road. Nothing special, it looks like Idaho. It looks like it does when I look out my bedroom window. Then I heard how crappy the trail is. It isn't a trail. Hell, when I was pulled over taking pictures, I got passed by a subaru outback. WTF, yeah real tough. Hell, this road looks better than some of the highway in my county. I wish my driveway was this nice.

The next morning I'm Packing up and this deer just walks right over to me. Like, within about 6ft or so. I just continue to pack up and it just hangs out there....odd. I pass a few folks in camp on the way out and I wave. I'm doing about 50mph now just wanting to get the hell out of here. I felt like I just wasted my day. It was like meeting your childhood hero and discovering he's a POS. That I how I felt, total let down.

I hit pavement. I have never been so happy to see pavement in my life. The Red river road is awesome. Then onto Hwy 14. This Road is awesome aswell. I was feeling bummed because I got screwed out of fishing. Then I look down and see this pretty sweet spot. That looks nice I think to myself. Then I see a dirt road and then the entrance. Hell, yeah. I lock it up and whip a youee. I pass a sign that says fee area. I don't pay for public services, out of principle.....fuck that.

I play it safe and fish from shore. However after about a half hour of that....it gets old. Hmmm, my boots and Carlsbad suit are waterproof. So, I start wading. Worked great. Then I start thinking how I can put felt on the soles of my boots. After catching some fish on my 2wt, I'm ready to head back and get home. I didn't feel like wading all the way back, I'll just cut across, it's not that deep I thought. Up until then it wasn't, then I stepped into a hole that was thigh deep. Shit, I'm wet now....lol

I get back on my bike and now I'm feeling good. I caught some fish and feeling better after the disappointment of the corridor. Up until then, I was still pretty pissed. Now I back on the road and feeling good. I come into a turn and I think that i'm going a little fast. I look down, hmmm, 80ish is a little fast. I don't know the speed limit, because I really haven't been paying attention. So, I slow it down to 65. 65 has to be close to the actual speed limit I thought. I travel another couple miles and come upon a sign. Shit, 35mph, you gotta be kidding me. So, I slow it way down, but still feeling good. The red river road all the way through hwy 14 has been sweet.

I come into kooskia. I go into the diner for some food. I'm the kinda guy who packs camp food and has no intentions of actually using it. It makes my wife laugh every time I pack. The diner was great, except for one thing, usfs asshats. I despise these people and these particular people don't disapoint. These people were from D.C., strike one, then spent the whole time trashing Idaho and how it sucked and they couldn't wait to leave. So, to make a long story short, I tell them to get bent and leave. So, after making a scene and paying my bill I left.

I make my way back to hwy 95 and head north. I get a call from dons1911. So, I stop by his house on the way home to check out his new guzzi and give him my best work is overrated and you shouldn't do it speech. I don't think it worked though. So, after BSing for a lot longer than I intended I headed home. My wife was surprised to see me home so soon. However, I was kinda glad to be back.

So, what did I learn from all this.
    I pack more crap than I need. Like most. However, I'm glad I do.
    I hate tank bags. Every time I stood up, it was like getting punched in the dick.
    I hate soft luggage. I know it's the cool new thing, I gave it an honest try and fuck it.
    I really want cruise control.
    Motorcycle seats suck.
    I need more better lights.
    Don't believe the internet hype
    My filming abilities suck
    Gopro battery life sucks...big time.
    There has got to be a better way to film.

Edit: left home wed afternoon. Stayed in wallace wed night. Thur left wallace and rode entire corridor. Fri home.
    20190719_110247.jpg 20190719_094618.jpg 20190719_100443.jpg
    Zapgarou, Dons1911, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  2. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    20190718_202201.jpg 20190718_200901.jpg 20190718_200125.jpg 20190718_192951.jpg
    Dons1911 and popscycle like this.
  3. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
  4. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    To be honest, there is nothing wrong with magruder. it was just hyped so much that I put it up on a pedistool and made it out to be some thing that it wasn't.........apparently. I think it would be worthwhile if somebody wanted to go, just keep in mind what it is. 100+ miles of decent dirt road, with decent views and a lot of burnt timber and no real water to speak of until you get out of the corridor. good fishing and good asphalt twisties once you leave though.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "When you hit avery it turns to asphalt and follows the clearwater river" No it does not
  6. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Lol, sorry, had the Clearwater and fishing on my mind. the st.joe.
    Rapturee2 likes this.
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like the ride was too short, turn around n do it again, he he?
    thanks for the report, we have seen the macgruder on the telly n burned out forest seem to be the norm now days. with contacted fire teams and no logging this side of the border.
  8. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I agree about logging. that is a lost cause though. It will never come back, no political will. Heck, I would be happy if they would just open the existing roads and stop shutting down new roads. the magruder goes through designated wilderness, so they don't put those fires out I guess. the wilderness thing is a whole other conversation.....grr. the trail is a peak to peak trail. So the road is straight up, straight down for 100 miles. It goes from peak to peak following ridge lines mostly. I didn't find it very fun or challenging.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for writing up your report.

Do you think a 2015 Subaru Forester could do this Corridor with 8.7 inches of ground clearance and ok tyres?

Or a Tiger 800XRx?

Thanks for reading.
  10. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought it was pretty cool, westfest 2010, went up to the Burnt Knob fire lookout but not thru to Elk City. I liked the paved part too, post apocalyptic potholes to dodge. Juice, I woudn't try to take your Tiger up Burnt Knob. I cross rutted on Lolo into a highside and rang my bell pretty good, pea gravelly goodness to wet bare clay in an instant. Skleletons of trees and looking down into the valleys above the clouds whet my appetite for more. :raabia Thanks for the pics OP, refueled my dreams. :thumb
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  11. 75bronco

75bronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About the Subaru...
    When i rode it several yrs ago, there were some stretches of road that were covered with baby head rocks. If it was recently bladed, it would be no problem. But those baby heads,,, hmmmm
  12. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Yes on both. Infact, there was a subaru outback parked at one of the lookout/viewing spots.
    As long as your tiger has semi-decent tires, I don't see why not.
  13. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    The trail was really tame to say the least. On both ends of the trail from Missoula to Grangeville, the pavement was amazing. No pot holes to be had. The Red river road and hwy 14 were awesome to say the least. Honestly, prolly my favorite part. The roads follow the rivers and have great pavement and good twisties.
  14. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    20190718_181524.jpg 20190718_085656.jpg 20190718_145942.jpg
  15. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes on both. Went over it a couple days ago on my V-Strom. We saw a forester about 1/4 way in (west to east, they were going the opposite direction so they were 3/4 done).

The road was not bad, at most a good intermediate trail. I had more trouble with the sandy corners coming down the east side than anything else - probably should’ve slowed down.
  16. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks Buddy,

I plan on doing the corridor from 20-23rd.

Good to see it rained yesterday amd today in Missoula!!

__
    After living in the west for a year and studying water right laws and wild land fire science, I will never complain about rain here in the east when on a hike or out on working in the trails.
  17. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Cool report. Thanks for you candor, I too thought the McGruder was more challenging and would have had the same response as you.

I can cross it off. I like a bit of challenge.

I wonder if the Lolo is any more challenging?
  18. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lolo is paved and is a phenomenal ride.
  19. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe different Lolo (ie: Hwy 12) but the Lolo Motoring Hwy - 122 miles from start to end (Forest Road 500) has no pavement and is a little challenging depending on weather).
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks gang,

The Forester did well.