Magura 1C clutch master cylinder replacement

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by erbe, Apr 1, 2019.

1. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I will try to keep this short. I have small hands with short fingers. I have recently bought a AJP PR7 which has Magura 1C clutch master cylinder. [​IMG]
    Same had the KTM 640 LC4 Adventure 2004-2007, KTM690 Enduro 2007-2012, KTM990 2007-2013, KTM 450,520 and many more between 2004-2012. Here is a nice chart http://www.midwestme.com/products.html#clutchchart

My problem is that the I can't adjust the stock clutch lever to operate it comfortably and being able to disengage the clutch. Either I am comfortable operating the clutch lever and not disengaging the clutch properly (like big time, not even possible to shift at standstill with running engine) or being able to shift smoothly but the lever is so far away from handlebar, that I have to use all fingers to get it.

I spent hours to find a replacement for reasonable price, but it seems there simply are none. Yes there are, but shipped to EU would be more than 100eur. That is just not reasonable for me for one damn lever. What I am thinking about is changing the whole master cylinder for something, that I can get a cheap and adjustable lever for easily. I am not the expert, but I guess if the master cylinder itself will have similar proportions it should work. So does anyone know it it is possible and that compatible ones I might try? Have anyone done this? Or am I completely wrong here?

Thanks
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Heat it up me shape it in a vice
  3. EricV

EricV Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks to me to be the exact same that came stock on my TE630. I've known it as a Magura 163 master cylinder, and mine is the 9.5 mm.

Those are known to fail, and not have a long life expectancy. The issue has been that the anodized coating (inside of the barrel) starts to flake off, making it impossible for the plunger to get a good seal (thus leaking.) I've been through 2 rebuild kits and know it's done for, so I bought a Magura 167 Master Cylinder w/ lever. It's a direct bolt on and, as far as I know, doesn't have the same issues. It does, however, require you to order the safety switch separately (if you choose. I'm doing w/out that feature going forward.) Even better yet (and I should have done this, as I'm not a fan of Magura) are the Brembo clutch masters. Here's an example of a Brembo unit that should work:

https://www.red-moto.it/shop/frizio...pa-frizione-idraulica-ktm-husqvarna-husaberg/

If I were you I'd spring for the new full master assembly, b/c I'm in the camp that says it's not a matter of if it'll fail, but when. As for levers, there should be many options out there that will bolt on to the master.
  4. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for info! It is indeed the clutch of the Husky TE630, because AJP PR7 uses its engine.
    I will look into the Magura 167 master. But in the meantime do you have an idea which Brembo master will fit and work with our clutch?
    Many many thanks!
  5. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EricV likes this.
  6. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is George at uptite still around? I remember him selling x rings for the plunger that helped retain fluid where it should.
  7. EricV

EricV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again man, and didn’t mean to not credit you with the 167 option!

erbe- you’ll get it sorted quick. All you need is a 9.5 master to go with your system, so a Brembo 9.5 should work. Conversely (this I’m pretty sure of, but not absolutely certain) you can go with, say, a 10.5 but then you’ll wanna swap to a compatible slave cylinder.

And therein lies a potential rub also- something to be mindful of: these slaves (if yours also has the Magura slave) are not known to be very robust. They have a single o-ring that’s not uncommon to have fail. Oberon makes a robust replacement. I plan to change mine out soon.
  8. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for your replies guys!
    Just a quick question before I dive into the all the details. If I change the master for Magura 167, what lever compatibility will I get? What bikes use this master from stock? Because I am into this mostly for the short lever replacement, not reliability issue. My bike is brand new at the moment, I just can't operate the clutch comfortably and I am unable to find lever replacements for the old 163. If there are none for the 167 as well that is a no go for me again.
    So all that said, it would be ideal to replace it for the Brembo master, for which the lever is not a problem. I actually might have it on my Beta Xtrainer, so I might be able to just try it before buying the new master. But there is the issue with the bloody mineral oil vs DOT brake fluid again... Anyways, I will be changing the slave for Oberon replacement as well so when changing to Brembo master I should be able to fun the brake fluid inside the clutch, right? Maybe change the hose as well just to be sure.
    Oh god damn these hydraulic clutches...I see no point in them anyways. Sweet cable trouble free clutches...
  9. EricV

EricV Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do a search of the 610/630 thread on CafeHusky you'll see some info. A quick glance seems to yield that a good choice is the ASV clutch lever- part number cdc602-sk. See post #3 of this thread:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/asv-levers-that-fit-a-sms-630.23634/#post-211524

That one seems to give good adjustability to bring it closer in towards you.

It's my understanding that as long as you match the master and slave you're good. So a DOT master will require a DOT slave (and so the same with matching mineral oil components.) It comes down to the seals in those components- the o-rings have to be DOT compatible. I'm not sure about the line, though, but if you're swapping both out then no harm in doing a new line also. To be honest I wouldn't necessarily be rushed to throw out the Magura stuff since your bike is new (but the caveat to that being this: if you are taking it out on far away/remote rides then I'd be more inclined to swap it all out sooner rather than later.)
  10. erbe

erbe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So with all the help from you guys and a local AJP dealer I located the aftermarket clutch lever that fits. It's Zeta ZE42-3182. I have not fitted it yet, but the dealer have tried it and reported that it fits.
    View attachment 1624362
    On basis of this I have also found some cheap ebay ones. I will report whether they will fit as well.
    Hopefully this will solve my problem. If not I will have to do the Brembo conversion.
    Thanks a lot!