1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Main seal leak R1200 GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by yellowmike, Jun 6, 2006.

1. yellowmike

yellowmike YellowMike

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 900 mile ride and noticed that there was a small amount of black oily crap coming out of the right side seam between the trans and engine on my 2005 1200 GS. It doesn't smell like trans oil so I have to assume that it is engine oil. So far the clutch is working ok and the leak isn't getting any worse but I'm wondering if the engine main seal is getting ready to take a dump on me??? This is made worse by the fact that I don't have any dealers within a 300 miles!! Anyone else have any similar problems?
  2. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... did it look like this?
    [​IMG]

Happened to me at about 6K miles. It turned out to be the forward seal in the tranny. Fixed under warranty.
  3. ObiWanJak

ObiWanJak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine goes in for that on Friday... 12K miles.

Loren
  4. mikerd400

mikerd400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem at 6K. It was fixed under warranty. I'm now at 17K and no further problems.
  5. GSPete

GSPete Why Not

Oddometer:
    Yeap, They replaced both front and rear seals in the trans. 18K+ and no problems. I posted a thread about this a couple months ago and no one entertained it, HMMMMMMMM.
  6. yellowmike

yellowmike YellowMike

Oddometer:
    mine resembles your picture but isn't nearly that bad (yet). Did the leak get gradually worse or did it go all at once??
  7. bgroover

bgroover woodchuck

Oddometer:
    Trans seal. Replaced on mine at 12k. No leaks since 8k later.
  8. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Hard to say. I had just finished a little dirt-road riding, and it could have happened at any point that day. It was clean 2 days before... I had washed it then and didn't see any oil. I ended up riding about 400 on the day I noticed the leak, not all on dirt.. most was on the way home on pavement.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the club, most every 12GS has this fixed eventually. Mine is in the shop now being done. It started at about 5K miles, and I put it off till 15K miles, it never really got any worse, though there is significant amounts of oil down on the back of the motor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plus a new valve cover for bubling paint.

Otherwise the bike has been great. Always started from 100 to 10°.

Jim :brow
  10. yellowmike

yellowmike YellowMike

Oddometer:
    As I said before I don't have a dealer in my area anymore so I'm hoping that mine will hold off and not get any worse until this winter. I'll haul it to a dealer somewhere and get it fixed... Thanks for the input, glad I'm not alone with this problem...
  11. Towjam

Towjam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why just the GS? Doesn't the ST/RT use the same seal?
  12. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I would not be surprised if this is not caused by the "hot plate" catalytic converter mounted under the tranny boiling the gear oil.:eek1 ​
  13. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Mine had all three seals replaces.

[​IMG]
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good question, that may also be the case, though I have no information on it.

You can bet I will be keeping an eye out on my GF's 12ST.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2812339" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>STUFF2C</TD><TD class=alt2>
    I would not be surprised if this is not caused by the "hot plate" catalytic converter mounted under the tranny boiling the gear oil.:eek1 ​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nah, the 12 series cat is much smaller, and further back then the old 1100/1150 and they didn't have this problem, besides, it doesn't get that hot. It appears that, when repaired, it doesn't come back, so my guess would be that they used a poor quality seal, and have since upgraded.

Time will tell.

15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Looks like mine. They may be replacing all three on it too. I'll find out tomorrow when I pick it up.

16. rakemup

rakemup n00b

Oddometer:
    ... gos in next week for repair. 6500 mi.
  17. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Another cause for this sort of oil leak is the breather on top of the tranny. I and my dealer both thought that there was some sort of leak at the front of the tranny/rear of the motor, but when they pulled it apart, to their great surprize, they found that it was only the breather. Been fine since they replaced it.

Dunbar Eurosports in Brockton, MA. They really took care of me on this without any dancing around. A good shop. Their service is first rate, in my opinion. :thumb
  18. snsbeemer

snsbeemer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto on mine. Both transmission seals on the input/output shaft were replaced last year under warranty. Not sure of the miles but 6-8K sounds close.
    I kept smelling gear oil but never could find it 'till I really looked way up between the tranny and engine.

Scott
  19. flyingwasp

flyingwasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 05 has the same leak but only on the bottom side of the tranny. It started around 13k miles. Before fixing it I took the bike offroad on 150 miles of dirt trails which covered the oil in dirt. BMW OF MILWAUKEE refused to fix the leak claiming that it was only dirt. I told the owner, shop manager, and mechanic that I saw the oil seepage over the entire bottom side of the tranny and still they refused to service the leak. I have heard alot of horror stories about the BMW of Milwaukee shop. I doubt I will ever go back there.

In a service-driven business such as this I would expect more from a shop. They also over charged my bill by 100 dollars.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Looks like all three seals on my GS, plus the clutch plate, which they do not have. So I don't get my bike back yet. Luckily I have a loaner, so I am not too worried about it. They said the clutch plate is backordered, but should be in next week.

We shall see. Meantime I have to decide if I want to use their R1150R Rockster for my weekend trip, or my R65? Decisions decisions!:D