Maine Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PWRCRZR, Oct 17, 2008.

1. The Haymaker

The Haymaker Testing Newtons Laws......

Oddometer:
    Amazing. My TT experience including recovery, stabilization, and 900 mile flight to Montreal was $18k US. Because it was an emergency, my health insurance covered all.

Too bad my employer was embezzling our insurance premiums, so I didn't have coverage at the time.
  2. MargaritaMotoress

MargaritaMotoress AKA Tigger

Oddometer:
    WTF? Are you kidding?
  3. The Haymaker

The Haymaker Testing Newtons Laws......

Oddometer:
    Nope. Over 40k in all.
  4. Red Card

Red Card Second chances

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a GPX of a mostly dirt route from the state line around central NH to New Brunswick?
    Thanks in advance from your neighbor in NH.
  5. Black Fly

Black Fly Opposed Twin

Oddometer:
    FYI - Our local club (Riders of Southern Maine) is sponsoring this premiere of the MidAtlantic Backcountry Disovery Routes film in March 18th, 2018 in Brunswick, Maine.

Details: See attached. Tickets, in advance @$10 PayPal, still available as of this posting @ bmwrsm.org.

Venue: Frontier Cafe & Theatre, 14 Maine Street, Brunswick, ME

If you're local to this venue, here's a chance to see this well-publicized premiere.

MotoDiscovery.jpg
    Se7en and Tslapper like this.
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 08 lifeflight from Harrington to Bangor was 8k for just the flight.
    The Haymaker likes this.
  7. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the free calender every year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    The Haymaker likes this.
  8. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    I'll see you there
  9. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Free calendar? I've been robbed.
  10. Muggins

Muggins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey hey just letting everyone know we’re hosting another meeting of Portland Dirt Riders on March 7 5pm-8pm at Rising Tide Brewery. If you want to meet other dirt bike and light dual sport riders come on down. Find us on Facebook.
    Tslapper and Pete S like this.
  11. Romy

Romy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snow, ice, sand and meltwater on the roads. Fun.
    [​IMG]
  12. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    5677EC9C-462F-4055-BFF6-E342380F3DE7.png
    It’s aliiiiive!
    EvilClown, nk14zp, PWRCRZR and 4 others like this.
  13. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. stromsurfer

stromsurfer Stromsurfer

Oddometer:
    Vt-Stromer and rubline like this.
  15. crazyal

crazyal dumb ass

Oddometer:
    First ever for me rode to work in February! Bit chilly and foggy as hell but it was great!
    PWRCRZR, rubline and Red Card like this.
  16. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems like a rare machine.
  17. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker...

Oddometer:
    Morning gents (and lurking ladies)

Got a question I thought I would put to the group for discussion.

As many of you know, I have been running my vstrom as my primary 2up machine for several years now (thanks Jeff!). It's been a good, dependable ride and overall I have no complaints except for the lack of space on the seat with a passenger. It's just cramped with a pillion for Me (I know, I am bit larger than the average human being).

So, the reason for the question. LADYJ and I are talking about a long ride out west this spring/summer.... Grand Canyon, Death Valley and Yosemite are on the list of cool places to visit. Maybe 7 or 8,000 miles round trip (I would ride out and she would fly out to and meet me for a big loop and she fly home while I ride home). I am therefore considering a bike with a slightly larger cockpit.

I know that I should have looked more closely at Rich's FJR when it was available but the timing wasn't right and this trip wasn't on the radar at the time. Should-a, would-a, could-a...

Current Craigslist bikes show a couple of options (maybe)... 98 R1100gs, 02 R1100rt, both optimistically priced in my view. Street Cycles has a 05 R1200gs for nearly $6k - nice, but more than I thought I would like to pay. I like the Tenere but those appear to be something like hens teeth around here.

And finally, the question.

If you were my size and planning something like this, what would you look for?

The other option for this trip seems to be renting a 1200rt in Denver and we both fly out to pick up the bike but the bike rental will run $2100+. A big chunk of change and I have to give the bike back!

What would you do?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
  18. Tslapper

Tslapper #!

Oddometer:
    The RT, or an FJR is pretty roomy but I recall the last DL I rode was similarly roomy. Is yours the 650, or 1000? Maybe they're the same size... don't know. ST1300's are big bikes but I think they are pretty pricey if they come up for sale.

I wound up with Rich's FJR because I'm sending my old one into storage out west. Quite frankly, for the money, there is no other bike in this category with the reliability of the FJR and cost. The friggen things can be found cheap. See guy with "Museum Quality" 2004 FJR on ADV. I can't speak about two up riding but I have carried a set of tires on the back seat for a couple thousand miles and didn't get any complaints. :D I was trying to figure it out the other day looking at my map and I think I've ridden mine across country around 19 times now with zero mechanical issues. There, I've screwed myself for this years trip.

If you bought an older BMW I would want to know exact maintenance history. While they can be very reliable bikes they have expensive parts with a failure history and have stopped many a ride in its tracks. I would plan to get to know the bike for a few months before I hopped on one and took off across country. And I say that not to knock the marquee but you mentioned controlling costs. An expensive repair plus hotel room for some days would put a kink in your style. Feeling that way about BMW's in general wouldn't stop me from buying an RT and taking off on it. Comfy friggen bike! I'd just be prepared to fix it and deal with all the hassle if it came to that. Same way I feel about my bike, just not as likely a scenario.

If a sport touring machine doesn't do it for you then I would seriously consider finding a Tenere. I think costs for big trips would be predictable due to proven reliability.

If there's time, you guys are more than welcome to take my 03 FJR out for a spin. I need some tires but all the maintenance was just finished. Tires should be here before riding season starts.

I'm going to go hide now while the BMW guys get out their pitch forks.
    EvilClown likes this.
  19. Tslapper

Tslapper #!

Oddometer:
    The Honda was the only machine to get some guests this winter. Guess I spritz it next winter and I'm pretty sure there's a cold spot on a shop wall some place.

I hate meeces to pieces!

[​IMG]
  20. Vt-Stromer

Vt-Stromer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stelvio's are pretty reasonable on the secondary market, reliable and easy to work on.
    Sweet 2up machine.
    Poacher Bob, radguzzi and rubline like this.