Makairo Meander

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its near the tui brewery HERE
    young1 likes this.
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've laid in a small stock of Ginger Beer. Couldn't quite bring myself to get in ham for the sandwiches, so roast beef will have to do instead...

See you good keen gentlemen tomorrow morning.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I spy with my little eye...

[​IMG]

Something beginning with 'G'.
    Renner, MarKTM and innathyzit like this.
  4. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Looks like a wartime plane wreck with that old dinosaur cylinder poking out!
  5. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Houston!

Does ACC cover trying to lift that?
  6. MarKTM

MarKTM Wannabe ADV rider....Dakar Passionate!

Oddometer:
    So.....hopefully the rider is on the track side looking down right! Rather than somewhere deep, deep into the valley of the Makairo...
    I guess all will be revealed.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    hummm is it Goose?
    Te Hopo likes this.
  8. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or Gander?
  9. Fitzall

Fitzall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dream of Jeannie with the bright red bikini just like the one my mother used to wear......... Hello over there, hate to say west, because ur probably east where you are. That's a pretty country , where you at. I'll be there someday when they build a bridge.....

tarheel
    Night Falcon likes this.
  10. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    While we're waiting for Steve to front up with the ride report...

After 17 yrs the Guzzi is off to a new home in Whanganui today.

[​IMG]
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAKAIRO MEADER 24TH JAN:

The kick off was at Charlies Bakery at Pahiatua, ostensibly at 10.00 am. But in reality it was much later by the time all the riders had assembled, the coffees & pies had been consumed, the stories, lies & gossip had been exchanged, & the latest mods had been explained. The carpark outside the bakery included an eclectic mix of bikes including 5 airheads in various states of modification, a DR650, a DR750, a Triumph Tiger, & a CRF450 Rally Bike.

My understanding is that there was only one bike at the end of the track that hadn’t required assistance, or whose rider hadn’t taken a tumble. The guy on the CRF probably didn’t figure in this total. Dunno who took the prize out for the most offs.

It was bloody hot in there. My temp gauge was registering over 40 degrees, which in real terms is over 35 degrees (it’s about 5 degrees optomistic).

Gus was ‘Tail End Charlie’ for the day. He managed to take a couple of rests, very low speed, where the footing wasn’t great. The first was on a tight right hand bend that coincided with a streamlet. Just one of those where a dab of the right foot would have steadied things up after a rock moved, but because the right side dropped away, there just wasn’t that option.

The other was approaching a couple of ruts nearing the summit, but still in amongst some scrub. The right hand rut went deep, so I decided to back up a couple of feet, & hook up onto the left side. Unfortunately what I didn’t realise was that the right side rut had contained a little streamlet, & the exit down the Bank was just a single backward paddle behind me.

[​IMG]
    The right rut I wanted to avoid

I rolled about 4 metres down the bank. This presented a problem, because there was very little to aid me back up, & Gus was upside down, just above me, with little holding him from continuing downward. I really didn’t want to cause Gus to slide further down. I finally managed to scramble back up, mainly by pulling myself up on the undergrowth off to the side, turning off fuel & ignition on the way past.

[​IMG]
    The aftermath. The hole where I lost my footing is just in front of the Toetoe seeding...

Given where Gus was, there was no way for me to get him back up myself, so I called for help, which fortunately was heard.

The team came back with rope, tied that to each of the wheels, then as a group we hauled him back up, upside down at first, & then levering him back upright once there was room. Team building at it’s best.

The wait upside down had unfortunately filled the right hand side jug with oil, so starting wasn’t possible after the cylinder hydrauliced. So out came the plugs. The oil was shooting 1-2 meters out to the right side when we cranked things over. The airbox also swallowed a 100 or so mls of oil thru the breather, & the air filter was well soaked. So once we managed to get things sort of running, we may have been deemed an environmental disaster, given the oil slick, & plumes of grey oil smoke from the exhaust.

The cap to the whole thing was when the starter sprag clutch bearing decided to die, probably as a result of the initial stress of the hydraulicing right cylinder. The starter solenoid would throw out, but wouldn’t allow the starter to spin the motor.

Good to have an MD in the house in that sort of situation though.

We walked Gus past the ruts, tried a couple of quick crash starts, then resorted to towing Gus to the summit lunch stop. Thanks Glen.

[​IMG]
    Bloody grateful for being towed to the summit by a DR650. Is it possible for an Airhead to look sheepish?

After lunch (which consisted –for me at least– of a roast beef roll & lashings of ginger beer) we crash started Gus on the firmer area around the summit area, then trickled down the eastern side. We had one stall, but fortunately where I could crash start. I also switched the ignition off once to help MarkS out of the deep ruts on the Eastern side of the hill. By that stage I’d got crash starting pretty much down to a fine art, so was good for the rest of the track.

At the quarry, which marks the end of the track, most decided they’d had enough for the day.

Mark & I decided to check up on Bart, who broke his foot running last week, so separated from the main group. & hared off to Dannevegas for a visit & a cooling lemonade.

Home via the Pahiatua Track. Huge cramps just before & during that portion of the ride, which made cornering interesting. Home at about 7.30 ish. Despite all the dramas, I enjoyed the day. Just don’t ask me about whether I’ll have another crack at the Makairo, at least for a few more weeks...
    Renner, Te Hopo, MarKTM and 6 others like this.
  12. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    after a very long walk out of the bush in aussie once, i made up a rope z pull winch complete with prussic loops

havent used it in anger yet but i get it out every now and then, pulling bikes up onto the ute deck for practice.

i guess it weighs less than a kilo and takes up about the same space as a 1litre bottle.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Mixed feelings?
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    I've been meaning to get something similar. I nearly threw a 1 tonne strop into the top frame for this ride. Fortunately others had enough to cover me.

I did think I'd be walking out at one stage. I wasn't sure how well crash starting in there was going to work out.

I have a kickstart gearbox from the bent bike, so have decided to get that operational, just to get another start option. A stall in the bottom of a muddy gully would have been a shit...
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Excellent Steve :clap I love tales of high adventure, overcoming adversity and soldiering on, especially when its someone else's tale.

Main thing is you weren't hurt, things could have been so different if you had fallen under the Gustapo. I fell upside down on a hill trail once (hard to believe I know) with the bike on top of me and was pinned till some kind folks lifted it off me....took years for my pride to recover.
  16. Fitzall

Fitzall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ur outings make mine look like a walk n the park. What an adventure....

tarheel
  17. Manakau.KTM

Oddometer:
    A bit weird.
  18. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Was a fun day.

a good mix of bikes - nice looking airhead in the middle....

[​IMG]

Flat twins are not good with deep ruts . Later I got caught out at the east end of the track.

[​IMG]

The rescue mission - you need lots of bodies around when airheads go off road.... (or in this case - off track)

[​IMG]

was a great day, and I was again really impressed by how well the airhead will pull from zero revs - its virtually unstallable.
    Its just what I want - a comfortable road bike that can go on proper adventure rides

Was a bit slippy in places and the anarchy 3 front made it interesting at times - especially at 35psi...
    At the high point I lowered the pressure on the front to 22 and it made a noticeable difference

I was utterly shattered when I got home.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chipping the above in. Looks like you took more photos than I did. Good for my damaged ego to see that it wasn't just me that struggled in that section. Because I was behind everyone, I wasn't aware of how others were getting on.

Did you get your strop back after Gus was towed to the summit? I neglected to check.

Wanna have another run at it sometime soon?
  20. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Think I got the strop back - not a biggie one way or the other

What about heading in to Sutherland's Hut? - ON A COOL OVERCAST DAY!