Making Memories

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Bear Chow, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Bear Chow

Bear Chow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to give my children an adventure to remember. I have been reading this forum for a year now. There are certainly some great adventurers and story tellers here. The Dads and Daughters thead got me thinking, I want to share a memory that will stick out in my daughters mind forever. My daugher is 13 now. I would like to take her on a three week adventure. With a large family spaced out around the US, my initial planning is to leave from lower Ohio my current residence. Travel through Memephis, TN to Arkansas make sure to see my brother. Into Oklahoma then to Colorado to visit my other brother. Than north to Michagan and back home.

I'm looking for insights on pretraining. She rides a 50 cc Honda, of course she way to big for it now, and a 250cc Quad. As I am a fan of being muddy in an offroad jeep, She knows what it means to be OUT There a bit. I have access to an inexpensive 80cc bike we could use a trainer as long as it has a clutch (don't know yet). I was also looking at getting a Honda 230L for myself. We could run around our own property and find some single and double tracks to gain confidence.

It's a three year plan. Once we are both more aquainted with the vehicles. She can graduate to the 230L and I will find something a bit larger, as I have continued to grow but have not been getting taller for some years. After her sixteenth birthday we could begin the adventure. Minimalist style travel with arranged supplies on the way. Again a big family network.

Now the real questions. Do I tell her or wait until we're much closer to an actual leave date? How do I begin the training. Obviously we will begin with basic driving techniques, but do I use the time we have to learn how to handle a bike in the woods or how to avoid cars? Any good books or article videos someone can point me towards to get a good head start?

I have three children separated by two years each and one separated by 5, OOPs. I would like to make a lasting memory with all of them. And she's the rough an tumble type that will really enjoy this, I am going to set a pretty big precident.
  2. cycletlh

cycletlh Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer:
    My theory is: It is not what you ride, but that you ride!

If my math is correct, the kids are 13, 11, and 6. All of them old enough to ride motorcycles. (Not Quads) Outfit the whole family, wife included and start riding every weekend possible. They do not have to be new KTyamahonsukis. Slow yourself down and ride with them. Include them in as much as you can including cleaning, maintenance, and packing for the day/weekend.

Time behind the bars will plan your trip for you in 3 years. The family time between now and then may be priceless!

I started at age 6 my brother at 5. 40 plus years later we still ride everytime we get. Unfortunately Dad had to quit riding a couple of years back. Had my mom and sister rode it would have been even better. My wife rides and has been my number one partner for over 30 years.

Keep us posted how it works out!:D
  3. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Do give them access to motorcycles but for now concentrate on mountain bikes. You'll develop many of the same skills and you'll toughen those bodies up for a real adventure.
  4. Bear Chow

Bear Chow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We do mountain bike some. Probably once a month. We've been lax this winter waiting for the weather to break. Good point though, I'll start taking them on some more technical trails as well.
  5. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Where you planning on going? Doing the Baja?
  6. vintagemxr

vintagemxr old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great plan to me, I'd just be careful about maybe overwhelming her with what might seem to her to be "long term" expectations. One step at a time, the next step revealed as each one is completed. If it works out, great, if it doesn't then she doesn't feel like she let her dear ol' dad down.

Doug
  7. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    why not try a few long weekend trips on the back of a bike, one child at a time? St. Louis, or Nashville (Smokeys) or Michigan......see if they like the road time. Even though I have no children...as an observer it seems children could give a shit about adult grandiosities...they just like hanging out for some quality time.