Making of the 10HP Diesel Prime Mover

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by danielson, Jul 11, 2010.

1. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    My guess is that it tops out at 80kph but that'd be ample really for laid back cruising along enjoying life.:thumb

Were there any issues getting it rego'd? Will it run on straight used, filtered chip oil?!:evil
  2. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    It looks great,and the motor suit's the bike just perfect!

I know you mentioned turbo, are you happy with the speed considering the vintage of the carcass:D.

[​IMG]
  3. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    The bike looks "just right". I'd be guessing it would just chug along all day.
    Great work!
    Does the exhaust exit just under the seat?
  4. 1stworks

1stworks dude

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

SWEET Dude!!!
  5. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Now thats just cool! I've looked at the diesel bike site before but haven't seen a build on here yet.

I want one. 100+mpg would be sweet. Especially if a little turbo could be slapped on.:wink:
  6. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    You guys are talking about cutting and fabbing gearboxes out of Japanese bikes, how about using a gearbox out of a bike a la Harley Davidson, where it's a separate unit? Not sure if any other bikes had that sort of setup, I understand a Harley setup might be a little costly for this particular style build...

Aside from that, really cool idea and good idea, those industrial engines might not be power monsters but they'll last forever with just regular maintenance.
  7. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all and thanks heaps

Mcfear

Depending on gearing you could hit 100-110 and cruise at 70-80-90.

Icecube

Thanks heaps
    Yeah I was thinking about production, I'm still testing though for reliability and longevity before anything like that though.

Pricing would be another thing, I'm thinking around $5500 all powdercoated frame like new etc. Sounds like a lot I know for the performance..

Some may love it, some people would say its a rip off for such a slow slug.

In my mind this is the perfect motorcycle :norton

Its kick only and takes a few kicks when cold, but its good because by the time you get it running you've had your workout for the day:1drink

When the motors warm one or two does it.

There's an alternator fitted to the flywheel of the motor. Just have to hook it up to a rectifier and should be good to charge.

Currently though on constant loss electricity. Then charging. It'll probably kill the batt.

No more vibes than most large singles, about as much as my SR500 at idle. But since the motor has a balance shaft its very smooth in the upper RPMs whereas the SR isn't.

Would not hesitate running tanked up, and have done so twice, though there is a large time gap between fuel stops:D

Kiwipeet

"So stick a Safari tank on it an you could go 1700k's before reserve "
    :rofl

Yep that'd be the go maybe in the future but seeing as 600km or so between fuel stops is plenty enough I'll prob just leave the current tank on. Plus Diesel fuel is a bit heavier than ol' petrol.

FatBoy

Spot on that's just what my philosophy on motorcycling is.:norton
    Thanks for the offer.:D I should remember when I'm up your way.

Adrian thanks

I agree it fits really well

And you know about the alternative fitting methods.

I was thinking about going that way with all the Taurus bits but after hearing those longer transmission shafts break I thought I'll work with the original shaft and petrol primary.

I measured up the holes in line with the motor as square as possible. Same distance as petrol motor to gearbox. Just a steady eye is all it took:D

ADVJake

:D Just wait to see how this one performs. To build costs around $4000 including the bike.

Overlandr

See top of post for speed ranges.

It's rego'd with the frame number but I'll probably tell em that the motors been changed.
    I reckon it could run on filtered SVO but I would try in the warmer months cos don't wanna block up injectors. Even though new injectors are $25 and pumps $100 from Perth.

Gimme 2

Is that an XT of some sort yes?

And the speed is fine. It's all relative:D

itsgunnahurt

Thanks mate. Yep and it does just that, whatever you set the throttle and it should keep going till you run out of Diesel:1drink

Exhaust is angled 30 below horizontal. Any guesses to where it came from?:wink:

[​IMG]

zephyr

Enfields in the States are really cheap and super low miles (great for the gearbox) compared to here and so are the 10HP clone motors. Get a registered one with blown motor. Should be cheap 1000US or so. Diesel motor for around 400. Maybe I'm too optimistic though:D

From what I've read turbos on singles aren't the best, generally 3 cyl is the go. I think its to do with phase or something.

A_Vasiliev

Thanks
    Yep your right about the HD boxes, some have 6 speeds which would be great for diesels.
  8. billyt53

billyt53 Phast Phossil

Oddometer:
    QUOTE...."Exhaust is angled 30 below horizontal. Any guesses to where it came from?"

Looks like a handrail from a disabled toilet!! (Just a guess!)

You've done a great job there.

Cheers Billy
  9. icekube1

icekube1 Befuddled spectator

Oddometer:
    Just
  10. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Icekube

Thanks mate you've given food for thought. I'll consider it just want to make this one bulletproof. :D

Rego in NSW though might be a problem, I think you may need an eng certificate, something like that.

Check what needs to be done rego wise when just changing an engine in an Enfield.

I agree postie enthusiasts may like it. I'm thinking of the same thing with the knobbies.

[​IMG]

Postie challenges would be interesting.

The frame'll handle rough roads no probs, it was originally designed as a trials machine when released in the 50s.

In India they've been using them for 50 years+ on some serious terrain, Himalayas etc and continue to do so.
    The 4spd gearbox is a sturdy unit.

Sorry I should be using quotations.
    That was aimed at zephyr from the US. Just an idea for him.
    I got mine here.

Yeah they do look like overkill :D But the reason being we needed strength from vibes and to hold the weight of the motor.

There's a 5kg engine weight increase from the 350 petrol to diesel. 37kg Vs 42kg.

What could have been done was to make the front mount less of an angle and closer to the motor. But now I could cook some fish in foil on a warmer day in that gap.:1drink

Looking at other machines I just noticed it acts as a nice bash guard too.:wink:

Also since the motor has a really heavy flywheel and bottom end there's a lot of weight down low, it might not make much of difference if they were drilled a bit.
  11. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    156.9339184164479 miles per gallon (Imperial) = Impressive!:evil
  12. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Reckon that diesel would fit in a postie.
    Found a old beezer box in the shed.Got a truimph one laying round too.
    Add those to this

[​IMG]

= DIESEL POSTIE
  14. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    Well done. Top work. :clap

Looks like a top - I'd have one in a heartbeat!

How many people have eBay searched for an Enfield now?
  15. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    After whatchin the vid , it seems like it has a ton of torque!

The Turbo is one that has been fitted to a wr 250 rx Water and oil cooled WTF!
  16. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Will

That'd be a nice hybrid. And one of a kind.

Work with the gearbox mountings first then motor.

You could probably fab up a tough bracket welded to the top tube. The bracket could have one large threaded rod welded vertically.
    Make another bracket with a hole size of threaded rod and bolt it on to cyl. head (provision for 2 threaded holes on cylinder head).

This probably makes no sense but eventually you'd have the frame holding the motor by one huge rod and nut.
    Just an idea.

The tank would probably have to go though you'd have a huuuuge range.

Thanks heaps Rob, yeah there's a few Enfields on the bay

Gimme

Good torque for what it is, figures are 26Nm 1500-3500rpm.

Mid range is nice.
  17. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on a cradle.I can see how a motor would fit in.Some other changes would have to happen but i think it might just work.Maybe a clutch with no gearbox kind of like the V8 bikes.Should be enough torque to wind it out.
    Just did a search of the ebay store you mentioned.The closest thing i can find to 10hp diesel is a fire fighting pump.Did you just buy the motor or did you have to buy a pump and pull it down.
    Cheers Will
  18. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done !:clap:clap:clap

I was considering doing the same to my Enfield but seeing I can't travel on a freeway now ,I need to go a littl faster , not slower .I just bought a BeeM instead .One Enfield for sale very soon ,which is a pity .She's a great bike and in perfect nic , but not fast enough for the damn traffic !

Here's the best how to link I found .You obviously don't need it but others might find it interesting .http://www.altmann.haan.de/riding_on_salad_oil/
  19. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will ,this the kind of engine I was looking at .http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ENGINE-ELECT...ing_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item45f3f0020c
  20. Taf

Taf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that bike is bloody beautiful. put me down for one... i am definately looking to buy one once you guys get into the selling game