Making of the 10HP Diesel Prime Mover

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by danielson, Jul 11, 2010.

1. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
  2. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're going to need a pre unit box to go with it and the one I posted earlier was a bit cheaper I reckon .
  3. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey overlander
    Don't know about HP output but this Tiger has a Smart Car Diesel engine installed.

Gearbox is a 6 speed Ultima

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RpE9CxhWhaA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RpE9CxhWhaA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bumblebee that sounds pretty good the supercharger and its designed specifically for the engine that many are using as well as me, the 186FE. It looks like they are only the cad drawings.

That GM petrol converted to diesel (was a disaster deliberately) gave diesel fueled passenger cars a bad rap in the states. Because of that they don't import many of the Euro diesels that achieve hi MPGs.

I've posted this before but here's a little Italian Moto Perugina 175cc petrol converted to diesel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gets 90 km per liter:eek1

close to the magic 1l/100km

Modnrod I think thats what some of the scooters use.

Fatboy thats exactly the same one, there very good sellers.

But like Sibbo said your gonna need a separate gearbox
  4. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Danielson , any joy on the charging system so far ? Do the alternator windings on your engine have sufficient output for your needs ?

Do you know if the original Yanmar had sufficient charging to run lights etc ?

I was just looking at my Enfield again and wondering .................:D

[​IMG]
  5. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
  6. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So a centrifical clutch and is that a variable pulley ? Have you ever used a system like that , it's a bit like the Rabbit scooter from once upon a time .

I'd still prefer a clutch and gearbox for the positive feel .

..........................................................................................................................................

Danielson , what is a comfortable cruising speed ? Is 80 km OK ? 85?
  7. Andreenduro

Andreenduro LUMI

Oddometer:
    Ha, thanks for putting together what I had in mind for years after I was too late to buy one of the few Taurus which were brought in to OZ years ago.
    You got me thinking again...:D
    I wouldn't be worried with the rego for where I live in Tassie...hahaha
    Shame though not knowing you are in Adelaide as I was down that way on my DR only a couple of weeks ago.
    Let me know if you try and sell a bike or parts and the reliabilaty of the engine. Although at about $600 for an engine probably not such a big deal.
    If I can legally register them in Tassie wouldn't it be possibel to get them registered in other States when bought from here? Just a thought.
    A matter of paper work I guess.
    Please keep me/us posted, Andreenduro
  8. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
  9. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sibbo
    I tried the reg that came with the motor, but like I thought; nothing
    According to other Diesel riders the alternators do the job providing the reg is decent. I'm still workin on it

Yanmar do make a 15Amp alt which can be bolted on to this engine.

Your Enfields a perfect candidate for conversion:D

Comfortable cruising speed atm is like you say 80, 85 indicated, speedo goes into wiper mode around those speeds though.

You can wack on a 17 or 18 front sprocket to get more

Andre thanks. Woah you nearly bought a Taurus:D How much were they back then?

Yeah I've heard Tassies good for rego with modded machines. It's similar here too.

Engine reliability has been tops for the past 1000km.:1drink If it can do that then hopefully 2K then 3k, 4k, 5, and so on

And yeah if it goes south then they are cheap as. Also just found a cheap parts supplier for these motors in WA. Pistons, rockers etc

I reckon your right with rego in Tas, and again the paperwork for eastern states.

Ssshhh that was my plan; make em and rego here then send interstate:rofl

Hey Bumblebee

That would work, has been done before.
    I think you may have to cut the frame work. Then weld up a new cradle into the frame to house the Diesel motor

That is damn cheap:wink:

130mpg machine for under a grand:evil

You can cut the gearbox from the motor also, a bit of work involved. Make a separate case for it. Someones done it too:D

This dudes used a UJM and cut the box out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XWORIuNSPg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1XWORIuNSPg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The kicker has been slipping lately so after a bit of reading what to do I found out the pawl has to be replaced. This is a small part in the GB

[​IMG]

I was happy when the part to be change was a bit mangled.:D New part on right.

[​IMG]

Pawl sits in his chair all snug:lol3

[​IMG]

The Albion cogs

Now just gotta put the front cover on and should be good
  10. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at the little diesel engine again and realized I can remove the coil crank and fit an alternetor there.
    This is becoming simpler as we go along.
  11. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Danielson , if your gearbox suddenly freezes solid it may have done what mine did , drop a 15mm section out of the primary kickstart gear and jam up solid !:eek1 A bit of a surprise but not a huge job to repair ,a puller got it off and some heat got the new one on .Replaced the pawl at the same time , it was quite beat up too .
  12. Andreenduro

Andreenduro LUMI

Oddometer:
    Hey Danielson,

the price list is from the 1'st of November 2000
    The diesel was by far the cheapest Enfield !!
    The standard 324 diesel was $3850 incl. GST
    The Taurus Cargo diesel was $3950 incl.GST
    Cargo meant that it had a rack and a sari guard so yer missus would not be dragged into the rear wheel while riding along. Above the gearbox it had something which looked like a little chook pen...hahaha. And it came in yellow. That was the one I wanted!
    When I finally made up my mind the first batch of ten or so was sold and new emission shit regulations stopped any further coming in...
    And that was that.
    The engine has 6.5bhp @ 3600 rpm and 1.48 kgm @ 2500 rpm with the 4 speed box. It claimed 70 km per litre... no more to say.
    Interested to see how you go,
    cheers, Andreenduro
  13. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked to the NSW rego mob today and I see pain in getting an industrial diesel registered here !:cry

I know it has been done and if anyone knows more about this , please tell !
  14. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update

Not much but got 1300+ kms on the Diesel E, all running well.

I last filled up 3 weeks ago:rofl

Done 627km and still a few more liters left in the tank.

Sibbo thanks I'll keep it in mind, it should be fine though. The box is working perfectly.

I mucked around with the charging circuit to learn a few things.
    Connected two wires from the alternator to the two wires from the regulator and wiring harness, got the motor running.
    Got the revs up and the ammeter needle moved to the right and started charging:D

Problem is it don't charge enough only 3 or so Amps so I reckon the dynamo is a 3A one.

I'm gonna have a go at the Altmann electrics. Its gonna be the cheaper way.

Contacted Yanmar about their dynamos, they tell me their 15A one costs 260AUD:eek1

Then there is another way, remove the current dynamo, strip the old wiring and rewind it with thicker copper wire more times around each post. Gotta take the flywheel off for that though.

It really is sad when this is one type of machine they should be encouraging to build. The effect on the surroundings is minimal. You gotta wonder sometimes:rolleyes

Theres always a way around things though:wink:

Not bad prices on those Diesel T's

They could be collectors items now here:lol3

70kmpl is awesome:eek1

The Vic Enfield importer still has one Taurus I think, asked him how much and he said something like 15K :rofl :rofl He's dreaming
    That was a year or so back

[​IMG]
  15. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reckon I'd be talking to Yanmar ...15A of REAL electrical engineeering ! :clap YEAH!!!
  16. Andreenduro

Andreenduro LUMI

Oddometer:
    By pure chance at a garage sale today got a Lombardini 325 cc Diesel today. Starts first pull !! So there ya go. Part one I've got the heart. Anyone got a rolling frame of an old english bike? Or a workshop manual for a 520 Lombardini? If my project takes shape I'll keep ya posted.
    Thanks for inspiring me again anyway.
    Cheers, Andreenduro
  17. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The more the better !
  18. icekube1

icekube1 Befuddled spectator

Oddometer:
  19. Andreenduro

Andreenduro LUMI

Oddometer:
    Thx for the link Mike. Too big a project. I know these things. At the end you spent as much money and a lot of time as buying something with a busted engine but the rest is in working order.
    I'll keep my ears to the ground for a cheap 350 or 500. Also need to consider the freight to Tassie.
    There hasn't been a morning so far without me going up in the shed to start the donk up. :D What an invention!!
    Cheers, Andreenduro
  20. icekube1

icekube1 Befuddled spectator

Oddometer:
    Half your luck.

I wondered if there wouldn't be a market to re-sell the origibal engine out of the ebay bike, seeing as it's had so much dome to it and all.

Might be temptyed myself...giving back the company car in a couple of weeks, starting new job. The idea of a 100km/l commuter is very tempting...no freeways.