Making of the 10HP Diesel Prime Mover

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by danielson, Jul 11, 2010.

1. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Andre top stuff hope you get that done in the near future when you get the donor Enfield.

Those diesels when stationary are great fun to play with:lol3

Mike
    One 1951 RE like that in ratty nick but all complete on ebay in Melb went for 600 bucks. That was few months back. Nearly won that one.
  2. Dirt_Boy

Dirt_Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adelaide, Australia Home of Coopers Pale Ale MMMMM
    Hi Guys Spotted this link some time ago..very cool stuff
    http://www.neander-motorcycles.com/shortversion-neu/main_en.html
    <object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWyRmuiTawo?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  3. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey DirtBoy

They are nice but very pricey at around 85,000 USD:eek1

Each piston has two rods that balance the motor

[​IMG]
  4. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm building mine starting this weekend, it'll be identical I've even got the same Yellow covered Yanmar clone. Fitting the original alternator is supposed to be a bit of a pain.

Ultimately you can stick an LED rear, LED indicators, LED sidelamps and a HID 35W in the front - that will take the consumption down to less than half when braking and indicating!
  5. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Snoopy

Hope it goes well

Yeah that would be good to lower electricity consumption.

If you can try to get the Yanmar 15Amp alternator instead of the Chinese low output one.
    They are dear but worth it from I have read.
  6. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The petrol is very nearly out. It looks like four long bolts go through the gearbox into the engine, I've undone the nuts but extracting the engine looks impossible if its slid sideways as it bumps into the frame, thus not allowing the bolts to come out. I'll have to take another peak later on. :wink:
  7. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Engine and gearbox off!

Got to order the sprocket now and then I'll get welding. :freaky
  10. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Andrew

hope this helps

answer for
    a) The cable coming out from the diesel alternator has two connectors. Just connect those two (from diesel alt) to the two petrol white and green cables. They lead to the original rectifier. This should power the lights off the diesel alt. So no lights when engine not running. Looks primitive but works :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

b) to get the height place the motor on blocks just like here. Get a spirit level to be sure. Move it where its supposed to sit under the frame.

[​IMG]

Mark out the holes on the inner primary as per the engine ones. Takes a bit of measuring to get it square. I drilled three only but used two diagonally. Top right and bottom left.

Then get the inner primary. Place it on the gearbox shaft and bolt to the motor. Shaft distances will be the same as the petrol.

[​IMG]

with the back plate, weld up the 90 deg angle first before drilling. If you want to bend the steel do it here to.

then you g clamp it to the gearbox. Get the right height and level it (with a spirit level) with the engine on the same blocks next to it. As the motor wont fit under the frame when the g clamp is on the gearbox.

Then you can drill holes on the back plate as in photo earlier.

c) damn i wish i took photos of the throttle set up.

heres a few hard to see though

[​IMG]

from what i remember how it looked like
    [​IMG]

d) buy a y piece

[​IMG]

the diesel excess hose from the injector and the fuel tank hose connect to it. bottom outlet connects to fuel filter then to fuel pump on motor.

e) dont use the decomp lever to kill the engine its not advised. i made another cable from the handlebars that pulls the govnr and turns fuel supply to engine off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw some mention of the Comet torque converter in this thread so am wondering if this torque converter at
    http://gokartsusa.com/Baja-Heat-Minibike-TC2-Torque-Converter.aspx
    would open up at lot more donor bike opportunities?
    The largest model will accept a 1" shaft on the drive part and has a 40/41 sproket on the driven part.
    Opinions?
  12. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Barnone

That would be good for UJM machines with unit construction. Take the motor out and put the 10hp diesel and torque converter. Has been done before.
    I'll find the links.
  13. Discojon75

Discojon75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
  14. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Danielson , how's it going ? Any joy with the charging setup ?

I had a bright idea for another donor bike ...an R65 BMW ,there are quite a few around in non working condition ...I think they have a separate gearbox and a fairly automotive clutch .It might be made to work .The diesel would fit in across the frame too and that should leave room for an electric start .
  15. Angry Pete

Angry Pete Yeah, whatever

Oddometer:
    Hi Danielson ,
    I've been following this thread, and thought I might throw in a suggestion. Have you heard/read about the bio-diesel bike built by The University Of Adelaide? As you live there I thought this may be of some interest to go and have a look at/talk tech stuff with the dept that made the thing.

I know it's a pain in the arse when you've built something, everybody wants to put in their 2-bob's worth. I was more coming from a technical point, to see if you have looked down this path. If so, what mods does the engine require to run bio-diesel compared with regular diesel?

Sibbo, interesting idea. I wonder how the radial torque would affect the handling? The fly-wheel is a bit on the large side!
  16. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sibbo
    Thanks for the bump
    It's goin good, has bit over 4100km on it and no problems.

We're making another RE Diesel. Here it is. The engine mounts are already done. This time with 6mm steel for the rear GB mount as opposed to 5mm.

With regards to the charging, the flywheel was taken off the new motor to get at the stator.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This weighs 10 kg :brow

[​IMG]

The Chinese use 19 ga - 0.91mm. With two rounds of wire per post.

Currently I'm rewinding it with 17 ga wire - 1.14mm. This will give more amps.

I'll be going with two rounds per post too.
    Its nearly done. My first rewind. Hope it works as expected.

I thought about the R65 with the chinese v-twin. With any shaftie I've read the final drive gearing would need to be changed.

Also wonder if the frame may need to be altered. Electric start would fit no problem and it'd be easy to adjust the fuel governor.

I guess I'd need to get one and find out. In the meantime I really like the Enfields.

Here's something though with a multi cyl Yanmar

[​IMG]

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/584104603/m/9301053591

Here's a page of BMWs converted to Diesel power. The R25 with a 296cc Hatz motor takes the cake for me down the page.

http://www.dieselbike.net/bmw/bmw.htm

hey dirt bloke, thanks yeah I've heard of them. They use the same motor but a genuine Yanmar 406cc.

They even had the Yanmar bosses come down from Japan and have a look at what they're using a genny motor for.

I might pop in as I haven't been down there to the mech. eng. dept just seen it on the net. What gets me is they say it uses 3.5l /100km.

Most guys with same setup as me get 1.5-1.8l. Must be the CVT sapping the power. Also heard motors run on bio tend to use a bit more.

People have been using bio without much drama. I don't have access to any nor making it but in the weather now it'd be no problem to run it as long as its made correctly.

What I do though is pour a bit of fresh canola, veg, ATF oil to mix with dino diesel to give more lubricity as these days its ULSD (Low Sulfer)

We had SAFF (SA Farmers Fuel) who sold bio but BigOil Mobil bought them out and decided to not sell bio as it needs to undergo further testing. :lol3

But with the mileage that I'm getting with regular D then running costs you could say are negligible. Here's a rough calculation. A long trip say 20,000km would cost around $450-500AUD in fuel.
  17. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the BMW links , the green one is very pretty ! The V twin is a great job but imagine dropping it and having to stand it up !!! Gawd it looks heavy ! An excellent build story though , really useful .
  18. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been reading Mouse's story Danielson ...the man is a legend ! An amazing and innovative build ...he sure had some problems and it looks as if a lot of them come from too high an engine speed ( the valve train not liking the excess speed .)

It's made me thing that the simplest way to get a bit of extra speed from the combination would be to increase the speed prior to the transmission ,say using a timing belt of some type .Either from a car or if the budget stretched to it ,
    http://www.forbo-siegling.com/pages/products/timingbelts/timingbelts_en.html ,expensive but quite amazing in efficiency !

It would be possible to up the output speed by 25% or so and have a much more useful ride .....and the diesel would spend most of it's time at comfortable speeds .

BTW ,I love your Enfield , if you remember I had one but I just sold it for $3900 ,I'm afraid the Visa card required it's sacrifice ! If I can find a cheap non goer I'd be VERY tempted to have a go and spend the time getting it through NSW rego .

The reason for my interest in BMW's is (apart from the fact that they very well built )I can buy an R65 very cheaply ...this one for instance for about $1000 .All there and running ...jeeez I hate alloy wheels !!!! That aside it would be a great start in a project like this .

[​IMG]

Good luck with that rewinding , it looks like the logical way of solving the problem ....well done ! Tell us how it goes .

BTW ...you may see me one day ...I'd love to try your Enfield in the flesh so to speak ( if you were game !).I run two diesels ,a 1980 240 D Merc and a Hilux .Biodiesel production is close and I'm seriously interested in a bike that uses bio !:clap
  19. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sibbo

No worries yeah Mouse's build is interesting. its a heavy motor.

Some people use CVTs with the diesels as you say it spends more time in the optimum rev range.

Also check out Heiko's site. This guy has built a few diesel bikes. From Germany. I'd love to have the Molotov M72

That R65 looks like the LS. Pretty cheap at a grand. I like those saddle bags. Are you gonna get it? It'd be interesting to see how the the v twin motor would fit.

If we do cross paths then by all means you can take the diesel for a ride.:D

What kind of mileage does the 240D get? I've liked those W123 series
  20. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Danielson , the 240D gets a consistent 8l/100km no matter what speed I drive it at ,80 or 110 .She's a sweet old girl with only 390,000 km on her !The perfect vehicle for biodiesel .

Is that twin cylinder diesel available in Oz ? It would fit in an R65 without too much drama I'd say but the top speed would be very low .I think some kind of intermediate step up gearing would be necessary .I've got a tiny transfer case from an LJ50 4 x 4 Suzuki that is about 1.3 to 1 .I'll have to have a look inside ,if it's straight cut gears it might run in reverse as a step up and that would give the right revs to ratios and a reasonable top speed ,probably 120k or so .

The trip would be getting it through NSW rego !!:huh Buggers aren't helpful

Did you ever come up with a price for an Enfield conversion ? Our rego blokes are much more likely to let a conversion through if it has rego in another state .