Making of the 10HP Diesel Prime Mover

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by danielson, Jul 11, 2010.

1. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Gudday guys!

I gotta stop reading this forum.... Dead broke and I just wanna go build!

Is this the V twin you guys are talking about?

http://www.hydrapneu.com.au/punsun_engines/

The bloke being in Brisbane, I gave them a call about 6 months ago. Now let me give you the edited version of his response..

"Oh, the Punsun old man? Rather a poor show I'm afraid. Jolly chink gave me a right rotter! Even our chap Jeeves couldn't get to the bottom of it. Thing wouldn't run you see. Think I rather lost my shirt on that one, what?"

:D

Insert a lot of words starting with f and c, mention of a 17k loss and "don't laugh mate, it's not funny" And I think you may get the picture. It WAS refreshing that he was so honest about it..:D

Danielson... where DO you get the different grades of copper wire from? Is it pre-lacquered??
  2. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crash ,look up ''motor rewinders'' in the yellow pages .

and about the motor ,BUGGER !!
  3. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Amazing!
  4. desert dog

desert dog scrub basher

Oddometer:

aawww common ya "girl" waz wind'in coils for x-overs in the eighties (loudspeakers.........der) check out Jaycar...............:deal

ow ya go'in mate ?

cheers matty and da bitch...:jack
  5. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:

Hey Matty!! You planning on doing the corner this Easter? I'm dragging Mick out I hope.
  6. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its about a grand or a bit more depends on the engine cost.

FBC about that motor its funny what he said but that does suck. The v twins from punsun are mostly good, just gotta get a good batch.

Funny thing is the singles look to have their date of manufacture stamped on the rocker cover. So just make sure its a wednesday engine

The copper wire does have some coating on it. Yes and I got it from a local mc lectrician

Thanks DRF its wasn't that hard as it was a single phase and not a 3 phase.
  7. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Won't thicker wire on the small stator drop the voltage?
  8. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Snoop

You're right: thick wire for more I, less V.
    I listened to the stator dude but now after trying it out should have gone
    with the same gauge (or just one up thicker) with one more wrap around per post. This would make it three per post.
    Although it works ok and does charge the battery.

Snoop this is a great bike for slow touring. I've done two small trips of 2000km each. I can maintain 50mph on the flat. I put a 17 tooth on the front.
    When hills come I sometimes change to third.
    Watch out so you don't overfuel it: black smoke out the tailpipe. (when I ride mostly happens up hills) Once it just stopped running, I guess it had a slight seizure because of all the heat.
    Doesn't use any oil between changes.
    Average mileage is about 155mpg. Highest I got was 180mpg. Lowest around 135mpg.

It turns heads going through towns and cities. When stopped people come round and chat ask questions.

Here's a few photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    insomnia likes this.
  9. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photos. Love that machine.

50mph is a great touring speed - I usually sit around that speed.

What's the ballpark figure for the one you're selling? Feel free to PM, I'm in Adelaide.

Cheers,

Rob.
  10. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob

Thanks. At 80ks you get to see more as I'm sure you'd know when riding your Postie:1drink

On your postie what sort of mileage do you get?
  11. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day mate ,I'm still here or actually I'm back .My computer shat itself then my satellite hardware died .I was keeping up with all this but then it all kind of disappeared !

A couple of questions Danielson , the exhaust ..no muffler ? How noisy is the straight dump ? I'm still interested in one of these but it would need to pass the inspection boys in NSW ,noise would be the main one .Does a muffler make big difference ?
    The seizure ? Was it a particularly hot day ,wrong oil ? Any ideas ?

Charging ...will the new winding run a headlight ?

cheers ,
    Sibbo .
  12. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump ...you there Danielson ?
  13. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yo Danielson how's it hanging?

Mine's nearly ready for the road. The Enfield frame mount for the petrol which I butchered cracked and I have a gearbox issue but other than that I'm expecting to go back to Morocco in four weeks time.

I measured the voltage from the default stat and it's 12v-30v DC (idle to 3800 RPM), I'm running all LED's, multiple switch-mode supplies and pulling at max 3A. :evil

How have you been changing the oil? The big bolt at the back is obscured, I could probably get it back about 10mm but not out fully, or do you just get the rear wheel in the air and let it come out the filler?
  14. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will run it but at idle it will go dim, at revs you are putting 24v AC into it (on some Enfields) and 30V DC on other Enfield types, depending on the loom which will cause the bulb to fail quickly. Ditch the headlight and go LED or HID if using a battery.

The default muffler fits beautifully in the Enfield frame you don't need a straight through. Default muffler is still loud, straight through will be obnoxious!

Bigger problem is the air filter which hits my knee. Danielson must be a shortarse for it not to affect him. :huh

Seizure has me worried. :eek1
  15. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Snoopy .. can you reposition the air cleaner ? It might not worry me , I'm a shortarse too .:norton

The seizure is a bit of a worry , but I haven't heard of it happening to any other diesels ...perhaps it was a particularly hot SA day or chugging up a hill at low revs ? The cooling fan should be adequate as it is on the stationary engine ...on a bike there will be a lot more airflow .
    LEDs are a good idea , but I reckon I'd spend a few $ on getting the windings redone to give me a decent output .I really like a decent light ! After years of riding a shitty 6v trail bike , there is no going back !!!
  16. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have a laith and a good hand you could fit the original Enfield alternator, I know one person that did that. With the diesel stator you have a size issue as it fits inside of the fly wheel, rewinding it will increase the voltage but lower the amps so you'll end up with a similar wattage which is approx 50W peak. With such power more efficient lighting and switch-mode regulation is not an option, but is possible with work.

Due to the way the engine works one can adjust the amount of fuel going in upon acceleration (aka under load) and it sounds to me like its running rich - black smoke is typical.

The air filter could be repositioned to the side but I'll have to weld something up and don't have the time. I'll stick a rag against it for now. I'm expecting it to annoy greatly until then.
  17. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other solution to the charging thing is an external alternator ...say off an R65 BMW .I don't know if it would be possible to mount but it might be a go .
  18. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One or the other I'd say. Here is the petrol alternator, you would have to laith the middle to get it to fit on the diesel. Heliko did this.
    [​IMG]
  19. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep ,that might be a very good idea .I have a lathe but I'm not brilliant at it ,mainly just rough and easy work .

We DO have a really good Triumph riding machinist in town though!

Back to the muffler and noise ...do you reckon she will be OK for rego ? Do you think it would be possible to quieten it more ?

What state are you in ?
  20. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    State (chuckle) i'm in the UK. :evil

With the stock muffler it should pass. Without - no chance! Just use the stock it's well made, light and fits perfectly. All you need is a little stainless bend to direct the exhaust flow away from your leg. If you haven't seen it yet look at: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623129

Regards, Andrew