Making of the 10HP Diesel Prime Mover

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by danielson, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Opps ! I though you were local ! :nortonHmmm .I guess you are but not local to here !

I had a 10hp Petter aircooled stationary once and being in the same shed with it running was NOT good !:eek1
    I'd be very interested in something a lot quieter .

I'm going to have a look at the Hatz diesels .I don't know if they will fit but they make a variety of quieting mods , down to one you can't hear at all ...it's very bulky though .
  2. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan, can you post some pictures of your modified gear shift?
  4. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the seizure there is a thread on dieselbike.net about it for this engine - it's overfuelling causing the cylinder to expand. There are two people that have had the problem and caused cylinder damage. I'm your lucky yours didn't get that far.
  5. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Snoop and Sibbo

The straight thru is fine, but I doubt it'd pass NSW laws. I wear ear plugs:1drink.
    A muffler IMO makes the Diesel rattle more pronounced which is worse. I'd rather listen to the one beat per lamppost thud anytime hence straight thru.

To clear up
    The bike on the trip photos is the second Diesel MC, a 1990 model. The one on the first pages of this thread is 1994.
    The 1990s been on a few trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its clocked up over 10,000 km and not one problem. No seizures also. Don't worry about it seizing it musta been a one off. That happened on the 1994 model (diff engine) with low kms. I later restarted it and ran fine back home. I got that engine now as a back up.

Snoop I really like the front headlight you made. Top stuff

On the oil been using regular Valvoline XLD Classic 20w50 CD rated. Its been fine and doesn't use any between changes.

With the sump bolt I ground out a space inline from the rear engine bracket which left enough room to get a 17mm round in there to get it off. I'll try to get a photo

[​IMG]

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_AWnc_1t51lg/TZAQw3uGVJI/AAAAAAAAAjw/LBBVWsxceRg/s912/P3280081.JPG

The rear wheel trick, never thought of that, bit difficult though.

With changes I just get the filter out as much (about an inch) as I can and get a tissue in there to scoop up the crud.

I'm 6'4" so not really short. I find the RE comfortable.

Snoop the gear shifter was cold bent in a vice to clear the flywheel cover

[​IMG]
  6. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ALL I CAN SAY IS BUGGER ! :eek1:eek1

I've been thinking that was probably the go ,I used to have a 10hp Petter aircooled diesel and it was loud ...seriously loud .I couldn't be in the shed with it .

I did scrounge some pretty amazing lead backed foam sound insulation from a boat yard recently ,it's the stuff that is used in launches and yots around the engine .It's very effective ,the trick would be to see if it could be used on a bike while still cooling the engine .Boat engines tend to be water cooled .

Can anyone think of a cheap light water cooled engine ?
    I have a BUKH 20hp ,but it is about 140 kgs ...a little bit heavy !
  7. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW Danielson , what kind of tent is that ? It looks good .
  8. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be great if you can hook the original muffler up as a comparison, I'm in two minds as well as I think the noise is enhanced like you say. With ear-plugs it's ok but everybody knows I'm coming!

I'm not sure how you did the gear lever as mine was too short, can you post a side-view of it and the footpeg? Cheers dude. Andrew
  9. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK ,you 2 experts , any suggestions as how to quieten one of those engines down .I think I really need to know if my project is to even start .:eek1
  10. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the spec you are tying to achieve to pass the test (decibels)?

The engine itself is noisy (knocks) the exhaust isn't too bad.
  11. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing a search of NSW rego and environment laws reveals this little bit of regulation .\
    http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/noise/vehiclenoise.htm

Do you think 94 decibels is achievable ?

Prescribed noise levels for exhaust noise

Exhaust noise from vehicles should not exceed the prescribed noise levels referred to in clause 4 of the Regulation. The levels depend on whether the vehicle is certified to Australian Design Rule (ADR) 83/00 (which came into force progressively from 2005), or to earlier ADRs.
    For vehicles certified prior to ADR 83/00, Schedule 1 of the Regulation specifies the prescribed noise levels. For cars built before January 1983, the maximum noise level is 96 decibels and for newer cars the level is 90 decibels. For motorcycles built on or after 1 March 1984, and designed or manufactured for use on a road, the level is 94 decibels. The noise level for other motorcycles is 100 decibels.
    For vehicles certified to ADR 83/00 and with compliance plate dates of 1 September 2011 or earlier, the prescribed noise level is the higher of either the level in Schedule 1 or the ADR 83/00 signature level plus 5 decibels. For vehicles with compliance plate dates after 1 September 2011, the prescribed noise level is the ADR 83/00 signature level plus 5 decibels.
    ADR83/00 signature noise levels can be found on the federal Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government's website at www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/environment/noise.aspx[​IMG].
  12. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the exhaust is near to the engine (default muffler) I'm sure it'll exceed that, if you pipe it to the rear and stick a temporary muffler (I see R1 exhausts going cheap on ebay!) it'll pass no problem.

The engine knock is worse than the exhaust noise!
  13. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Snoopy , that's hopeful ! :1drink I'll buy a motor first and try a few strategies to quieten it before doing the conversion .That is really the only problem I can see ...you guys have answered the rest .
  14. wiggywildwildwest

wiggywildwildwest cranky bugger

Oddometer:
    as an aside, in the early 90's ADB did a test where they got a yamaha WR200 which had a really quiet exhaust and added a few panels to keep the engine and chain noise in. it passed the ride by noise test easy. maybe something like that ? can you add some sound deadener to the engine cover ?
  15. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to have to experiment ,but a serious automotive exhaust system for registration might work OK ,it might get modified later ! :norton

Sound baffling around the engine would be good and there is good stuff available for the job , but not restricting airflow would be the main consideration .
  16. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a reply I received on another forum when asking about reducing diesel engine noise .

Do you have any idea how far off the engine is now?

As noted by others, you need to identify where the noise comes from: exhaust or mechanical. Diesels generally produce a LOT of noise that is not from the exhaust, and that's in (much quieter) liquid-cooled motors. So, while you can use a larger muffler, I suspect you would have to do some custom fairing work with internal sound deadening in order to make it happen. This would have to pay close attention to the direction from which they measure the 94 decibels (and, if you are measuring yourself, the exact distance they use). It's all moot if the thing is so far out before you start that it's hopeless. Remember, the dB scale is logarithmic, so 10 decibels up is twice times as loud, and 20 is 4 times as loud (this is in human perception; in electrical audio signal level 10 is actually 10x as much, and 20 is 100x as much).

If you can find out from them what the noise level of the engine is, make sure you know from what distance that is, or it's meaningless. If they measured at 20 meters and your government measures at 10, then there will be a 10 dB difference.
  17. danielson

danielson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sibbo
    its a Hi Country Hiker, now called a DMH Cygnet I think. Pretty good for the $80. Its done many nights out.

To get passed NSW rego use a muffler of some sort. It'll get thru. A peashooter should be fine
  18. Sibbo

Sibbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate ,I'll look it up .

Re the Enfield ,I'm going to have find one with a dead motor as I sold the one I had ,after talking to the rego bloke .He wasn't encouraging about getting one through from scratch in NSW .

I'm going to have to ask Andrewaust on the Diesel Bike Forum ,(I'm trying to register at the moment but the bot won't let me !! ).Anyway he got his through in NSW so it must be possible .

cheers,
    Peter
  19. snoopy

snoopy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how danielson found his but mine is getting a bit quieter as I put miles on it. Still not quiet! :evil
  20. Russ

Russ Long timer

Oddometer:
    One from OZ.