makita cordless or a pneumatic impact for automotive suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hotwheels22, Oct 12, 2019.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    gents. i have almost all makita corded or cordless tools. but i need to do some suspension work here. 8 have a makita compressor.
    but i’m not seeing that makita makes a pneumatic impact driver?
    or maybe they do and i am missing it?
    any alternatives if they don’t?
    anything else i need to pick up other than a floor jack, jack stand and maybe a jack post?
  2. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are almost set.
    Try the Makita's,if that fails a Harbor freight or Lowes/Home Depot trip to get an inexpensive pneumatic.
    With the proper fitting on a pneumatic wrench,any one will fit your Makita compressor.
    For suspension,you really need a half in.impact wrench,not a driver,the drill/drivers do not generally have enough torque.

JR356
  3. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    For suspension work? You may need a breaker bar with a Gold Wing fork tube on it. That's what I use. :deal
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  4. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    yeah. thanks. i checked. makita seems to make only nailers.
    is there a makita level brand for pneumatic 1/2 impact driver? i hate to go cheap if i don’t have to...
  5. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    i have to buy a breaker bar and find something suitable for an extender.
    last time i needed a little extra force with my 1/2” socket wrench i had to use about 8’ of 2” diameter pipe.
  6. mango_420

mango_420 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m at a wedding today. But I have an electric Makita 1/2 inch impact driver.

Can send pics if interested.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  7. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    yeah. electric impact driver could be interesting i guess?
    but don’t all the automotive guys and heavy duty structural guys use pneumatic impact drivers? presumably it provides more torque...?
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    In the construction trade around her Makita is nicknamed Fisher Price. :lol3

:1drink
    sieg likes this.
  9. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    it’s not a thread about construction tools.

i was trying to point out to someone that was trying to be helpful that i was looking for pneumatic tools and not electrical.

but the only guys i’ve ever seen making fun of anyone’s tools on a job site have been plumbers.
  10. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes and not worth the money, buy a IR composite impact as long as you have a good air compressor. Or right now for $250 you can get a Milwaukee high torque 1/2 with free battery and chargers are dirt cheap on CL.
    sieg and hotwheels22 like this.
  11. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks. what’s an IR composite impact driver?

also. you are talking milwaukee battery powered?

i would like to get a heavy duty makita battery powered impact driver.

would this be as powerful as a pneumatic for suspension work?
  12. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    CB05AD2C-1F86-4D02-8F07-B9E44E09CB8A.png 5448A147-D1C1-4B59-8CB6-EE7033362ACD.png 93F5F7F9-0915-47A5-B794-8D14DB3BB4BA.png
    can i just pick up one of these?!
  13. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have that battery platform than it's your best bet, the milwaukee has more power but then you end up with battery and charger only for that.

This the the impact I was talking about, you need atleast a 30 gallon compressor to get it's full potential. Ingersoll Rand 2235TiMAX Drive Air Impact Wrench, 1/2 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV9Y1FE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kxPODbVM24DXD
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  14. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks a lot for that.
    so basically i’ll get the makita cordless impact and keep my fingers crossed. or get the IR and not fuck around i guess...?
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a not very expensive CP brand pneumatic 1/2" drive air wrench* that spent 20+years undoing stuck fasteners on cars, but mostly trucks. Was still as good as when new. You could strip it down and replace (or turn the vanes if it lost torque) or reef on it for ages without having to worry about battery life or burning it out. Drop it from on top of a truck body down into the pit - no problem. And if it did break, then it didn't cost much to replace.
    No worries about battery compatability or finding a replacement when the original or its replacement dies.
    If you do get a pneumatic, then also get an oiler/filter for it. And drain down the air lines for water, that does kill not-much-used stuff.
    A work mate had a 3/8" SnapOn which was a better tool, lighter and more torque, but at S-O prices.

Use impact sockets, they really mess regular ones up quickly.

Moderate cost cordless one are great for lighter duty cycles, the really expensive new stuff is excellent too, but huge price. Justifiable if you are out there with equipment with costly down time, you say that isn't you.
    If you are a casual user, having a regime to keep things charged optimally for longest battery life is key. Spending lots on a tool that gets used only once every few years can mean you need new batteries each time.

*from pre chinesium days.
  16. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    In these parts, the only guys who make fun of other tools are the Dewalt fan boys.

I use the above linked makita and it's awesome....very powerful. May need to use a long handle breaker bar first to break it free, maybe a torch, depending, but that impact is amazing considering it's cordless.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  17. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think your best bet is the cordless as you can take it anywhere you need to and should have enough power.

The air impact has more potential power but again you need a big air compressor to feed it or its useless.
    sieg and hotwheels22 like this.
  18. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks for that (and for the pointers) nick. i was originally assuming i needed a pneumatic gun and was going to have to lug around the air compressor just to make sure i got the job done.
    now i am thinking i may be able to get away with buying another makita. usually i pick these up used but sometimes i’ll plunk down for new.
    once in a blue moon i have a construction job so having tools i enjoy using and that don’t let me down makes this work a lot more pleasant.
    maybe it is time to have both on hand i suppose.
    can i ask you this? can i get away with a makita impact driver that uses those sockets like a power drill? i mean is there any good reason i would need the half inch socket attachment?
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The huge difference between air and cordless is the duty cycle. If you have a compressor, then the power never runs out. With a battery, power is always finite and the batteries however good don't last forever. They lose the ability to hold and deliver power.
    Sooner or later, the batteries change style and won't fit your implement. Then you dump them.
    I'm a tool person as much as the next guy, but not a "I-have-to-have-the-lastest-thing" tool guy, rushed in too often now.

If you are hinting that you want something to travel around in the back of your truck, then obviously the cordless wins on that account.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  20. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    hey man.
    thanks for the help. sorry for banging around like this with the questions. can i just ask - if i was going to a pawn shop or checking craigslist of marketplace are there brands i could look at used? anything to watch out for on buying used pneumatic tools? buying used makita is petty straightforward but the pneumatic tools i am not familiar with...