1. eNewsletter Sign Up

makita cordless or a pneumatic impact for automotive suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hotwheels22, Oct 12, 2019.

1. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt many pawn shops will have an compressed air for you to try it on. Front bearing play, trigger integrity and forwards/reverse buttton is about all you can see.
    They are easy to take apart, but I expect that will be too late. The vanes do wear, but well known brands are replaceable. Mine are still servicable after more than 20 years. The rotors do get scored but it has to be really bad to affect anything. Having an inline oiler and filter really helps.

I would have a good look on ebay or any machine sellers and see what sort of prices are being asked - mine was not expensive brand new and this applies to most air tools - then you can see if something with a guarantee is better or worse value than what you find.

I should have mentioned, check out the output of your compressor and the air consumption of your proposed gun. NFG if you only have a little pancake thing. I only ever used mine in workshops, so consumption was never an issue for me.
  2. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    For auto suspension work you want pneumatic 1/2" drive impact wrench. Aslo get a set of real impact sockets not chrome ratchet sockets.
  3. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    First off what are you working on, car or bike?

Secondly and most important is what air compressor do you have at home, I have a 30 gallon compressor and maybe get 5 seconds of full power before the air pressure is gone and you wait for it to refill while at work I can go all day.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  4. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    automotive suspension work.
    i have one of those massive makita compressors i bought with some construction money thinking i would use it for framing or a rag tag framing crew. but it just sits in storage for an odd job i need to pull it out for...
    if i had a pneumatic impact i suppose i would use it more...
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...te-xtreme-torque-air-impact-wrench-62891.html
    This impact gets a lot of love on a different site, I prefer ingersoll rand impacts as they have served me really well and tons of parts available if needed.

I would suggest checking out new as any used impacts I've seen have always been completely worn out. These are my work ones that were barely used and the other a demo. 20190919_145256.jpg
  6. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    gents. how about this thing?!

Attached Files:

7. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    No.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  8. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    thanks...
  9. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have that Makita 18V impact, it's a beast, super powerful. Problem is that it's HUGE and VERY heavy, there are places that you just can't get it into (at least on my Grand Cherokee).

Having said that, I seldom break out my IR air impact gun anymore. But I'm primary using an impact for tire work. It's just really convenient to not have to drag out the air hose when I can just grab the electric and go.
  10. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not trying to be a dick but youre wasting your time trying to find anything quality at pawn places, it's either worn out or they want to much for it. The earthquake hun at HF is quite capable and you can get some decent impact sockets when you're there.
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    The makita is definitely huge, Milwaukee is a lot shorter and more powerful but not to cheap.

For 3/8 stuff I stick to mostly cordless but working on semis in the rust belt you need that extra power the 1/2 air impacts bring.
  12. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're only using it once in a while or a one-time job on your suspension get the electric. A Harbor Freight will work for what you are doing. Or the Makita if it uses the same batteries you already have.
    The spec's for that Makita say 790 ft. lbs.
    That will break anything loose on a car, although that's probably an optimistic figure. And get impact sockets.
  13. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys need to get out more.

I purchased a M18 Milwaukee impact three ago. Have not used my air impact since. The M18 handled every fastener on ground up restoration of two 70 year old GMC pickups.
    Just purchased a compact M12 Fuel compact 3/8” impact rated at 250 ftbs. More than capable to handle lug nots in very small package.
    Wasser likes this.
  14. HeavyMetal

HeavyMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son got a M18 Milwaukee that is rated at 1100 ft. lbs. if I remember correctly.
    I was sceptical so had him bring it over and we used it on a semi truck lug nut.
    They are torqued to 450. It broke one loose and retightened it to the same torque. But I doubt it would have enough battery power to do all 10 on one wheel. But it is half inch. I really didn't think it would even do one.
    I was pretty impressed though because that isn't what they were made to do.
    For the occasional home gamer doing automotive, probably any brand would work.
  15. beemerkid

beemerkid Do you ADV

Oddometer:
    @HeavyMetal it totally should take them all off with the appropriate battery.

I believe any of the current offerings from any of the major manufacturers would be more than enough for what you're looking for. I'm of course taking about the high torque 1/2" guns , not a 1/4" driver, though those have a pretty big place in automotive work too with a nice set of socket adapters.