1. eNewsletter Sign Up

MALAYSIAN Adventure Bikers

Discussion in 'Asia' started by deaninkl, Mar 1, 2010.

1. aki

aki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! :D:D
  2. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    Hello guys, I want to do a trip from Kuala Lumpur in mid august , if anyone knows of a cheap little 125 for sale could you please contact me, I once rode from Bali to Bangkok on a 71 vespa so anything reliable will do
    Dave
  3. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Nik - amazing photos!! Thanks for taking the time to post those all up here!

Aki thanks for the shipping tip; Canoe guy your best bet from Australia is probably to check out www.mudah.com.my and there is a pretty huge section on just motorcycles.
  4. thecanoeguy

thecanoeguy just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer:
    hey ricky
    thanks for the heads up ,plenty of vespas on there ,if your in KL would love to meet up with some guys for advise
    dave
  5. ElZeeko

ElZeeko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report guys! Thanks for sharing it with us. Next year I´m planning to do the Barcelona - Kuala Lumpur and reports like this help heaps!
    Thanks again.
  6. bikermice

bikermice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :D I like your stickers.
  7. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Sure would love to hook up! I'll pm you my number...
  8. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Are you serious!! Why don't you do KL to Barcelonia and I'll follow you for a bit. Puedo ser tu interprete... todas las idiomas aqui yo se! (Pero no se como escribir - la cosita arriba del "n" en ano por ejemplo no se como hacer lo y que pe"n"a cuando escribo mi edad!):lol3
  9. samadhi

samadhi n00b

Oddometer:
    You blokes really know how to enjoy it. Thanks for all the info, starting in KL September for a similar trip (solo) but will avoid the mud. Catch up on the road sometime.

Gary:norton
  10. beneesa63

beneesa63 n00b

Oddometer:
    Salam bro Nik..Excellent Pictures & RR..:clap
  11. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride, fantastic photos, fantastic food. I'm really looking forward to going back to malaysia and thailand. Good to see you met up with simon and lisa, simon's bike doesn't look like that anymore. Stay safe, selamat jalan.:freaky
  12. 'Dicko'

'Dicko' Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to let us know when you hit KL. I'm in Penang but I'm always up for a ride.
  13. samadhi

samadhi n00b

Oddometer:
    Planning on being in Penang so will give you a definite when closer.
  14. fadhil318

fadhil318 n00b

Oddometer:
    Salam, Big THANK YOU to all the guys that share their travel adventures. I feel like im with you guys on your trips. Thank you for taking the time to show me the rest of the world. :clap:clap:clap
  15. unending

unending Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dudes,
    Keep the R&R coming mann.... its been far too many months!

Your fellow ADV rider, Singapore..:norton

16. richpix

richpix Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hello Malaysian Adventure Bikers,

Greetings from South Africa.

Hope you guys can help me out with some info. I am most likely moving to Malaysia very soon and I have a 2008 Suzuki DR650 which I love and would very much like to bring with me to Malaysia. Do you guys have any info regarding this? I know its possible of course but what options do i have? I could get a Carnet here and bring it in on that for a limited time etc How about registering it in Mayasia? How do the customs work out the import duties? The bike was actually very cheap here second hand...but does that mean anything once it arrives at Port Klang?

Looking forward to hear your responses.

Kind regards,

Richard....
  17. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert but would just say a lot of that depend on what kind of visa you are getting.

Some visas allow you to bring in one vehicle tax free every 5 years and register it.

An 08 DR650 "on the road" would go for 30,000+ RM here; about $10,000 US dollars from where I'm from or a good 5X what it would go for in the USA.
    Alot of dual sports here have 2 values and to simplify I would say the liscence plate is about 1/2 the value of the vehicle. IE a 2000 XR250 goes for about 16,000 or 8,000 ringget- 16,000 if it has a liscence to use on the road or 8,000 as an off road only vehicle.

Foreigners without that special vehicle can not ship a bike over here that I know of without massive paperwork, but are free to ride one over. Best deal I've heard yet is a Canadian friend of mine who basically lives here full time but leaves every 3 months because he's been here years on a 3 month tourist visa - he shipped his BMW from Canada to Singapore. Singapore wouldn't let him drive the bike in Singapore without lots of paperwork, so they put it on a truck and carried it to the Singapore/Malaysian bridge. At the bridge he took it down and rode it across expecting to do lots of paperwork. At the motorcycle express lane they stamped his passport and didn't care about the bike. He kept asking and they waved him thru. That was about 6 years ago. He has to leave every 3 months but he leaves the bike here and continues to update his tabs from Canada. Rides it every day and hasn't been hassled.
  18. kawanut

kawanut jaguh kampung

Oddometer:
  19. slimshedykoff

slimshedykoff n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! I'm new to Malaysia, I've arrived only a month and a half ago. Now I'm looking for a bike and some gear to purchase and have some fun on the local roads. :evil
    I used www.fc-moto.de for purchasing gear but here I've encountered some difficulties. They have Malaysia as a distanation for shiping but unfortunately site has some kind of a bug and I cannot order =( May be someone uses this on-line shop and can give me some advice? :ear
  20. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi all,

im wondering if someone can provide some information on shipping myself and a motorbike from malaysian borneo to somewhere on the mainland. im in indonesian now and plan on shipping from here to indonesian borneo, crossing the land border and then shipping to the mainland and then up north towards thailand. any information would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Rob