MALAYSIAN Adventure Bikers

Discussion in 'Asia' started by deaninkl, Mar 1, 2010.

1. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Sounds nice! Any specific route u r looking at in Malaysia? I'm based in northern peninsula. If u want, I can suggest some nice routes. I'll be chcking up some in August.

There are some places in Laos,Thailand,Vietnam and Cambodia that I want to see and I've been to these countries twice before but Malaysia and Myanmar will be new countries for us and no particular plan yet.
  2. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's your accommodation plans? Cheap hotels or camping? What bikes are you riding? How many days will you be in Malaysia before shooting off to Thailand and beyond?

I would suggest east coast for the beaches and probably visiting the national parks in the interior. In any case, the roads in the interior (especially in the northern areas) are twisty, mountainy(?) and fun.
  3. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    finished our east coast ride last month,many resorts donot have their restaurants open during the week days,so spent much time looking for the days accomadations,also if you want bike security the quest houses or home stays are best.
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Cheap hotels, one bike(wife on back) a Suzuki DR 650. with IMS tank so good for around 300kms on a tank. We have no fixed schedule but up to 4 mths total so we have time to look around.
  5. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, it is the monsoon season at the end of the year. I'll see if I can map out a route for you... maybe even tag along and play the guide :rofl

I'll post here once I have a suggestion for you
  6. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I know timing can be everything when it comes to weather but November to February is the period I'm stuck with, would February be better than November for Malaysia?
  7. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dear Gavo,

Very sorry for the late reply. I could't find this thread. I'll PM you shortly in regards to your plans and timelines

Best regards
    JJ
  8. 1km

1km sgBikerBoy.com

Oddometer:
    Hey Gavo! November's just round the corner. Was wondering how's your trip planning comming along?
  9. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Fly to Singapore on the 10th, 3 nights there then train to Kuala Lumpur.
    Still going to be hit and miss with getting the bike cleared at port Klang in time due to late shipping, not through lack of trying the bike arrives the 20th I hope, then it's a race to clear it and be on the road very early on the 25th, hopefully sooner.
    Have to be in Chang Rai by the evening of 29th>
    I'd planned for more time , tried to ship 3 weeks earlier but the freight companies were a pain in the arse.
  10. 1km

1km sgBikerBoy.com

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan! All the best! Keep us updated here!
  11. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gavo, 4 days to Chiang Rai is cutting it close man ;)
  12. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    I know it's tight and and I hope to clear quickly to give me a few more days. If I don't make it I stand to lose a fair bit of money, it's just the way things have worked out.:(
  13. JJaafar

JJaafar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try not to speed in Thailand. They're a stickler to speed limits, especially to foreigners. Other than that, it's 2266kms to Chiang Rai. Just over 27 hours by Google Maps standard. 454kms per day for 5 days is doable but tiring.
  14. pzxr

pzxr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for route from Bali Indonesia through Malaysia with eventually getting through to Japan.....any thought s on routes using boats or ferries
  15. zain

zain slow and steady

Oddometer:
    I think it's better to ask our Indonesian brothers. they might have idea.