1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Malfunctioning F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MotoLara, Jan 10, 2011.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mentioned one here in Veracruz that was only dealer maintained, ran premium fuel here, and every bearing in the motor was finished and BMW replaced the motor but the owner paid for dismounting the old one and mounting the new one.
    The motor was supposedly sent to Germany for further study. As a side note, the owner of that bike had replaced every other bearing on the bike, front wheel, steering head, and rear wheel and all were bad and some with catastrophic failure that resulted in the bike being trucked home from one trip. It was an early 2009 build date with some differences from other 2009 models like the front brake master cylinder being a cloudy plastic finish and the rear axle left side being a different arrangement. That bike never detonated that I know of and just was worn out after 30,000kms of dealer service.
  2. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are some BIG QC problems and one needs to take a few steps to prevent low fuel quality damage but many of these engines are going far.
  3. Pate

Pate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know 6 BMWs F800GS belonging advriders.
    These motorcycles have about 40к-80к.
    2 from them were often used in offroad.
    Any serious malfunctions to them hasn't occurred.
    One case occurred in Morocco is known only.
    In fork there was a rupture of sealants.
    But it has been connected with an error at service.
    In a fork the superfluous quantity of oil has been filled in.

I am very happy with this motorcycle,
    It is very reliable.

In Russia this motorcycle is on sale for gasoline 91RON.
    83HP / 91RON (min).7500rpm

In my opinion breakage of engines in Peru has been caused by bad gasoline,
    Probably it was gasoline worse than 87.
    I am glad that BMW nevertheless has made the decision on repair at own expense.
  4. macrae85

macrae85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After seeing Nick Saunders 50.000 mile strip down on his Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere,
    and him doing both directions in the Americas,the moral of the story is;Avoid anything Rotax
    designed,wether it be BMW or KTM!
    Saunders Yamaha was like new inside,i given that he rides a lot harder than most,it's a testament
    to quality engineering........i know where my money would be going!
  5. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The two issues I have seen on F800/F650 bikes with high mileage (over 80,000kms) is alternator failure and cam chain stretch. The cam chain stretch now appears to be a much easier fix with the aftermarket sourced split link and corresponding chain. The alternator failure is interesting and there could be a remedy for that. BMW could fix both of these problems but why bother when they can con people about the "legendary performance and reliability" and then sell them a big ticket repair?
    I have seen other lower mileage failures that are simply substandard parts and poor assembly.
    The Super Tenere is an interesting option but you'll probably find less support for it than even the F bikes in the developing world.
  6. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this tread...We are on US spec 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere in Cali Colombia headed S and have experienced some occasional detonation on this trip...we always buy premium...but I think the octane is still low. If you cane it to 90% - WOT in 2nd gear or higher at say 2500rpm often you will hear predetonation till the revs come up over 3500 +/-.

I do not know of any Super Tenere failures down here....but dont want to be the first... Is octane booster available down here...and if so...where. Is there any potentaial harm to using octane booster to a moto engine. Those of you that were down here on a Super Ten....what was your experience? Other than oil changes with synthetic oil ahead of schedule and riding the bike gently (in T mode all the time) not much we can do but ride. We are heavily loaded 2up with gear and this place is nothing but up and down....and often v hot and altitudes of up to 12,000' so far. I will say...that other than stop and go traffic the cooling system seems to keep the temps under 190f most of the time.

Reading about the 800 GS meltdowns makes me happy to have a Super Tenere...now at 14,500 km with no issues.
  7. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    So you're in a BMW forum, bashing our bikes and asking for help? :thumb

Ask in the Latin America Regional thread where you'll get more help.
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Available at your closest BMW dealer.
  9. greenthumb

greenthumb b00b

Oddometer:
    That's odd, my F8 ran fine on regular all over Central and South America.
    I didn't have to baby it, change oil early, or watch the temp gauge - it didn't even meltdown! :lol3

But seriously, maybe you're riding it too gently - read: lugging it. Drop a gear and keep the revs up. The terrain will flatten out more as you go further south, and the altitude goes up, so that should help. As far as octane booster, I can't offer help as I didn't use any.
    There is a good ktm shop in Quito, maybe they can offer some ideas.

:freaky
  10. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah.

We have a rule here, you have to at least own one before you can pay them out. It also helps if you can post a photo or two of it covered in mud or bogged somewhere remote, that helps establish some sort of credibility.

A story of woe that involves being stranded, crap BMW service, outlandish prices for parts, framed in some sort of ongoing plethora of failures context is generally the way to garner some sort of sympathy.

Besides, a Super Tenere rider is hardly on a high horse. More like a big fat overweight horse, that lacks horsepower considering the amount of coin dropped to purchase it. You'd be better off conceding defeat and buying an MT09 or similar. I think it's a fair bit lighter too. By about 65~75kg (about the weight of a pillion). So the power and torque figures are far better when viewed in a power/weight torque/weight context. Even the suspension isn't that far behind. With about the same sort of cost as setting up a SuperTen, you could have a far lighter, far more nimble, far more rideable MT09.

What you have sir, is a draft horse disguised as a show pony. Congratulations, you took the "Dakar bred Adventure Bike" bait...hook line and sinker. Now you want to take out that frustration on others.

Here in the Parallel Universe, we can understand your frustration and feelings of persecution. Our expert counsellors, Reaver, JoelWisman, and Ebrabaek can provide the help you so desperately need. They can analyse the personal weakness that led to you believing in your own hyperbole. They can recommend treatment programs and techniques.:D
  11. Silverfin

Oddometer:
    Yes...I unknowingly tread on sacred ground here with what I thought were innocent questions about poor quality fuel in S America. Looks like my trip could have been so much more exciting had I selected a different bike...as it is I fuss over tire pressure....and the occasional pinging under throttle from low octane fuel....thats about it. The rest of the time is spent trying to find safe parking for my draft horse and and avoiding the grill of oncoming trucks.

I will plod on...ever southward....till the road ends in that cold place.

From Cali, Colombia
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tyre pressure - you need a tyre guru. I just use the old rule of thumb...highway loaded up, use the max rated. Off road, once the rims start getting dinged you've gone too low.

Safe parking for draught horses...they have an App for that now.

Avoid those grills, I went through the front of a Mack Superliner once. Now, every time someone asks how I feel, I say I feel like I've been hit by a Mack Truck. It never gets old.:lol3
  13. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Gee Wally, I thought Snowy was being very diplomatic. You don't want to see him angry............:lol3

If you buy gas from a jar, it doesn't matter what name is on the tank (or saddle). Of course, our chosen steeds are high compression and far less tolerant of paint thinner and whatever else they cut the fuel with. If knocking and pinging persist, find real fuel and drain what you have before it's too late.

I used my invaluable Camel Tank and filled up at the good stations which allowed me to wave politely "no thanks" at the jar guys in the remote places.
  14. Silverfin

Oddometer:
    No jug gas for us....but most rural gas stations in Colombia...and much of C America don't sell premium....that is for city slickers...so we always try to buy gas around the cities where we can get the good stuff. I think we have probably only filled 4 times with regular over 8,000 miles. There is just no way around this unless your range is much more than our 250 mile range (GSA for example). The main problem is that the premium seems lower octane that USA regular...I will keep the revs above 3000...probably means I wont ever need 6th gear.

Here is an aerial view of the problem in Manizales, Colombia...

[​IMG]
  15. Reaver

Oddometer:
    OK, just to :pot.

You picked a bike that requires premium only to ride the Third World 2 up? :evil

At least my GS was reprogrammable for low octane. :D

PS....Quepos sucks. Uvita is a bit better but we chose Ojochal to live. Missed you on the way by.
  16. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If only someone made a diesel adventure bike....oh wait...

[​IMG]
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That thing looks gnarly..... Links plz..... :freaky
  18. Reaver

Oddometer:
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Track Diesel bike venture went tits up over a distribution deal with someone in the UK. I was following their Facebook page for a while.

The whole concept really appealed to my unorthodox side. CVT transmission, turbo diesel 800cc engine, world leading mpg, White Brothers suspension...what's not to like?

I think the motorcycle world benefits greatly from these ideas, the outside the box approach.

Track made a true "Around the World tourer", in every sense of the word. Ride reports stated that although the diesel/cvt combo was different, once you got the hang of it there was plenty of fun to be had.