1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Malfunctioning F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by MotoLara, Jan 10, 2011.

1. greenthumb

greenthumb b00b

Oddometer:
    I think they had a great concept, but then crammed a car engine and snowmobile transmission, that were ill suited for the purpose, into a motorcycle.

I understand developing their own power plant / transmission would cost an astronomical amount and therefore not viable, but one would there would think there would have been a more suitable option.

No disrespect to their efforts, but on the surface, it looks like they spent a great deal of time on designing and building a nice chassis. When they got to the engine, for whatever reason (likely financial), said fukit, let's do whatever is easy.
  2. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about "ill suited" but they were certainly an acquired taste.

By all accounts they rode well. Weight wasn't astronomical, and within the ball park for this kind of bike.

If they'd have gotten further along we might have seen a more practical approach to the engine/drivetrain.

Fuel consumption was awesome though.
  3. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    How bout the Military KLR Diesel?

[​IMG]
  4. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would have been a nice concept, but I don't think the company ever got it into production. They had a proof of concept that had a decent review. The power was on par with petrol KLR, and the gas mileage twice, but it's fairly easy to beat the KLR.
  5. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a real thing, one of the local Police departments got one from some Federal program that sends Military hardware out for "Homeland Security"

Apparently the extended fuel range makes a big difference.
  6. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    The whole point was to fuel all military equipment from the same can. Logistics of gas/diesel/jet fuel transport and storage.

[​IMG]
  7. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah we just bought DRZ400s and fitted them out with cam paint jobs.

Diesel is the way to go. The fuel mileage on diesel bikes is unreal. Although I have bought dud loads of diesel fuel on occasion here in Australia. Fuelling up at major truck stops along a highway that sees about 2000 semis a night running along it. You'd think you were safe in a developed country. But cutting the diesel with other products that don't have the taxes and tarrifs is common. The leading motoring organisation told me it was common place when I rang and asked if they monitor these things for their members. I was lucky in that I just had to drain the tank and change all the filters on my 4x4. They have regular reports of engines suffering terminal damage. The service station I got done at was the Southern side of Narrabri on the main highway. At the hi flow truck pumps.

I've been caught out on 2 other occasions, but not as bad, and I just put up with shit performance until the tank was empty enough to dilute it with a decent batch. Diesel bug is a real problem here. When running diesel machines for work I was regularly dosing them and my fuel storage containers in case I picked it up.

So I suppose it doesn't matter what sort of fuel it is, you are at the mercy of the retailer. They don't run any sort of decent filtration here at the fuel stations, and they don't dose fuel in storage. I had no end of dramas with it when looking after standby generators.

I was filling up at my local a couple of years back, and the pump maintenance guys had rigged up a syphon device on the tank fill point, and they had water in a long clear plastic pipe, measuring how fast it was being drawn into the tank. I was holding the pump nozzle in my hand when I noticed it...and I just slowly leaned over and hung it back up without dispensing anything, then got back on the bike and rode off. Next thing the fuel station was closed for nearly a year while they ripped out all the tanks and replaced them, and then ran a fume extraction plant further along the water table for nearly 12 months. Apparently raw fuel had been leaching into the storm water drain down the road. The fuel station in question wasn't that old, but had been installed before all the new standards came into being, and tanks were a single skin steel construction, with no secondary containment. A common problem here.

I tried adapting a heavy duty filter with water separator for my F800...but space is a problem. The only spaces it can be mounted put it squarely in harms way.
  8. BrocStar1

BrocStar1 brocstar1

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone. I recently got my bike out (F800GS 2009) which I haven't ridden in a year due to work. The gas in my tank is over a year old. I am trying to remove the old gas via a pump syphon. I cannot get the tube to reach the bottom of the tank and have about three gallons left. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Any other ideas of draining gasoline is also appreciated. I have a 2009 F 800 GS.
    Thank you
  9. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    See this thread on the subject:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054557&highlight=drain+tank
  10. GREWUPIN_D11

GREWUPIN_D11 GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer:
    Put in a dose of injector cleaner (Techron or equivalent) and run it. My 2010 F800GS went for 16 months of no operation Feb 2011 to May 2012, when I had to leave it in Tripoli, Libya and evacuate due to the Arab Spring/Day of Rage event. When I got the bike back, charged the battery, and it started instantly, idled perfectly. No problems with that tank of fuel. Caveats: the tank was completely full of non-alcohol gasoline. But I think you'll be fine even with 10% alcohol. Add the Techron as a bit of extra help to the injectors.