Malles Moto Info, Stories and Q&A

Discussion in 'Racing' started by manuellucchese, Feb 20, 2016.

1. manuellucchese

manuellucchese Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

after having veeeeeeery long sleeps i'm finally back on earth after the toughest experience in my life. I thought it would be nice to dedicate a thread to Dakar's Malle Moto category. I know lots of people have in the plans to race Dakar in the future and for sure racing solo is the real adventure that embraces the spirit of the old Dakar.

It would be nice to share stories, legends, videos, photos and informations for those planning on trying it, all in one thread in order to build a sort of guide where anyone can ask also for info's, budget planning, bike preparation and general advices.

Some shots from the countless hours i spent working on my bike during the rally! Not due to mechanical problems but simply because it takes time to work on your bike after 8-900 km stages :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first question is: Is there anyone that has the list of winners and bike rode of the Malles Moto category from every Dakar edition? Anywhere i can find it?
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    ASO will have it so I think you know who to call !

Great Idea !! MM is the only way I could even think of affording the Dakar.
    Guinness1 and 640 Armageddon like this.
  3. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Hi Manuel,

I was thinking to start such a thread so thanks for starting it !
    I'm working hard towards racing Malles Moto in 2017 and I'm at the stage now where I'm treating it as something that will happen, of course my entry could be refused but I've had very positive communication with them so far.
    I've collected a lot of information regarding Malles Moto but there are still a specifics I'm probably missing, silly things no doubt but when I get time I'll write them down.

Cheers Neil.
    Deadly99 likes this.
  4. sequent

sequent South Australia's own....

Oddometer:
    Awesome idea for a thread. Together with Neil, I'm also hoping to be Malle Moto in 2017 and have questions too. Will get my thoughts together and put a few of them up here for those with the experience to answer...

Dave.
  5. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Ok got an easy one for you.

I'm just working on my bike today.
    I'd just like to confirm that at Dakar you do not need indicators (turn signals) and also that the rear brake light only has to work off the rear brake pedal and doesn't have to work off the front brake lever.
    I was given the above info by the team owner who built the bike. They fitted turn signals but I'd like to remove them to reduce unnecessary cables and current running around the bike.

Cheers Neil.
  6. manuellucchese

Oddometer:
    Hi Neil!!!

So for the indicators correct, you do NOT need them and for the brake first of all you need 2 Rear fender lights, usually one underneath and one above the fender. At least 1 of the 2 lights has to work with 1 of the brakes, this means you can have only the front brake or only the rear brake activating the stop light. One thing you will also need for scrutinizing is the horn (I used a normal scooter horn, easy to mount and to make it work) and a mirror on the handlebar (everyone dismounts it after stage 1).

If you have any other info's you need while preparing the bike let me know, BTW you gave me the idea to make a future post on my blog regarding what is checked at scrutinizing before putting the bike in Parc Ferme!

Cheers
    Manuel
    RussellM, Gian, sequent and 3 others like this.
  7. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the confirmation on the indicators Manuel, that's exactly the sort of "cut to the chase" no nonsense answer I'm looking for :clap , it helps me move forward without any doubt in my mind !

That wasn't a bad thread back in the day but some of the info is out of date now. Particularly what you take / carry.
    As of the last two editions it's been one box as the trucks no longer leapfrog each other to get to the bivouacs. The MM truck will also carry one large gear bag and two spare wheels with tyres fitted. The tent I think they provide. You also take a sleeping bag, not sure if it has to be inside your gear bag though ?

I don't believe they carry spare tyres, you have to put those on a service vehicle you've rented space on. Memo, RMS ? etc

Above brings me to a question on the logistics and mechanics of changing wheels / tyres.

Assuming RMS truck is big enough to carry extra riders tyres and mousses (it could be any other provider), I buy my required quantities off them and they meet me in SA.

The first change of wheels is easy because they are on the MM truck.

Now the used set of wheels / tyres I have two options either ...

I go and take my used set to the Michelin guys and they change them for me but I have to go past the RMS guys to pick up my new sets of tyres and mousses.....thats a lot of weight to be carrying what could be a ridiculously long way or multiple trips first to the Michelin guys who I believe park "close" to the MM compound and then to the RMS guys who could be anywhere. Then going back to the Michelin guys to get my wheels back and put them on the truck before midnight. Presumably I have to dispose / remove my old set from the Michelin guys also and take them back to whoever is carrying them for me.

Seems like quite a time consuming tyreing (:D) job. (Probably confusing to read to).

Or can I just take my used set of wheels to RMS and the next day I pick them up with a new set and they take my now used set ?
    I'm thinking this might be classed as outside assistance / support though. Either way someone might protest.

How hard is it in reality to go through the nightly or bi nightly tyres and wheel swap ?

640 Armageddon likes this.
  9. sequent

sequent South Australia's own....

Oddometer:
    Another simple question - Are you allowed to wear a backpack (just a small 20-25 litre job) in Dakar? I can't recall seeing a photo of anyone wearing one, but wondering where people store little bits and pieces (like the sleeves of their jackets if they remove them, or a sandwich or apple or whatever)? I can see that some people must wear something under their jackets, and I assume that's because you have your number riveted onto your jacket and a backpack is not allowed to go over this?
  10. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost of rain this year, how to manage it, stay dry. How better to manage it?
  11. manuellucchese

Oddometer:
    Ok so now i will explain exactly what you can bring:

1 Trunk 80cm x 45cm x 35cm - (You can put whatever you want, spare parts, tools etc)
    1 Big Gear Bag in which you can store some extra spare parts etc
    1 Set of spare wheels
    1 Tent (The organization does NOT provide the tent)
    1 Sleeping Bag
    1 Backpack

The MALLES MOTO truck has:
    - Bike Stands
    - Oil Change Containers
    - Tools (they have most tools you might need but in any case you should bring your own buying kit set so everything is always in order, easy to store and neat. This is exactly the set of tools i used: http://www.amazon.it/BAHCO-S87-Set-chiavi-bussola/dp/B0007WGHR6 )
    - Flex
    - Drill
    - They can bring you during the race a couple of extra tyres depending on space on the truck

TYRES:
    I fetched mostly used tyres some of which i got from Chavo Salvatierra and RMS who i thank again! I bought some new tyres and mousse during the race.
    My Advice: You have 1 new set of mousse and tyres on the bike, 1 on the spare wheel set, arrange 3 extra sets with some team.
    I used sometimes the same set for 3 stages depending on type of terrain and km.

MICHELIN TRUCK:
    The michelin truck is usually next to or very close to the Malles Moto truck, so you might as well arrange that anyone selling you tyres and mousse to bring them to the Malles Moto truck so you don't have to go back and forward searching for team which might be very time consuming.

FOR SEQUENT QUESTION:
    I personally used this backpack, everyone puts it underneath their jacket thats why it seems no one has it. It is COMPULSORY to have at least 3 liters of water, this backpack i used comes already with 3 liters: http://ogio.com/moto/hydration-packs-1/baja-70-hydration-pack-black
    My Advice: Store most tools either on the bike or in bashplates that have toolboxes like this one i used on my Yamaha: http://www.rebelxsports.com/product/force-ktmhusqvarna-rally-bashplate/
    In my backpack i tried always to put stuff like spare injector, spare chain attachment, mini chain breaker, T handle with 8mm, 10mm and 12mm (I put only this type of bolts so i could almost completely dismount the bike with only 1 tool) This is the one i used: http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0389 (Worked really great). Had also some energy bars, medical kit, and most lightweight things. DON'T do the mistake of carrying too much weight because it will literally kill your back after a few days.

You can have anything you want under your jacket and you can have your number directly printed on the jacket if you want. I will present next month a new Dakar Rally Jacket i developed with Rebel X Sports with multiple internal pockets and the jacket is fully customizable with one's sponsors, race number etc so you don't need to rivet the number.

PS. If you are not racing a KTM Rally Replica also be careful on using towers and fairings because if you don't have also complete spares (Which don't fit in the box) and you break something you are f*cked. I just finished producing my light handlebar setup for Yamaha and Ktm Exc bikes and for sure will race again with roadbook/trips on my handlebar and Iritrack on the triple clamps behind the headlight because in this way i can have several spares at a much lower cost than fairing/tower.

In Malles Moto you really need to think at every detail in the most practical way because you will never have enough time and will end up working until late night.
    barakamonk, Coen, Natcur13 and 14 others like this.
  12. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience :thumb. That's invaluable!
    nry, troy safari carpente and sequent like this.
  13. laufer

laufer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Manuel great post!!!!

Have any one a "box list" with the common spares, tools, etc... Also what about a mechanical scheduled for every day ?

I'm racing in Malle moto the Africa eco Race 2017, and just preparing the bike and all the bits, and will be great any info and tips!!

thk u all
  14. manuellucchese

Oddometer:
    Hi Läufer! Thanks a lot.

Mainly these are the things i do every day unless i have crashes or something major happens:
    - Engine Oil Change
    - Oil Filter Change
    - Air Filter Change (i have 14 air filters pre-oiled so that the process is super quick)
    - Rear Brake Oil Change
    - Bolts check (I mark all the bolts with a black marker in order to also visually see if they are getting loose)
    - Wheel Nuts check (I purchased and Excel Torque Wrench which makes the tightening more precise)
    - Clean electrical contacts (Use simply contact or brake cleaner to keep any connector and so on clean)
    - Chain Tension Check
    - Radiator Water Level Chack

This is it, if you keep concentrated and avoid chatting with anyone and just take your time in a couple hours you have done it all and in this way you lower the risks of having issues. I find it more productive at least for myself to do all the work as soon as i get to the bivouac. This means i arrive, relax 10-20 minutes with some drinks and snacks, then get working on the bike and once i finished i go for a shower and for dinner. The reason behind my schedule is that sometimes while working on the bike you might find out you have a serious problem like i found out in Fiambala Marathon stage this year where while i was immediately working on the bike and the others all resting i found out i had a broken radiator and that i had been racing over 200km with no water.

Last but not least i just published a video on the budget for Dakar showing also the difference between racing Malles Moto, Amateur level and Pro level:

barakamonk, Critt and Gany like this.
  15. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Go Manny !!!!!
    Great , thanks.

Max
  16. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big race to watch will be Manuel vs. Lyndon in the Malles Moto category!
  17. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the winner is JURGEN.
  18. manuellucchese

Oddometer:
    This year its gonna be real fun i guess to watch and for myself to race because the field is packed with fast riders all wanting to win Malles Moto:

- Jurgen Van De Goorbergh (Won Malles Moto 2016 and was 31st overall) This year he is going to switch from the Rally Replica KTM to an EXC, interesting switch
    - Julian Kozac (2nd in Malles Moto 2016) Argentinean rider on Yamaha, really fast and being from Argentina knows quite well the environment
    - Myself (3rd in Malles Moto 2016) Gonna try my best to try get the win, managed to be 1st in the first week during Dakar 2016 but then in the second week Jurgen completely changed pace and i was unable to keep up, i'm sure the first week he was playing it smart and infact i crashed! I still have no clue which bike i'm gonna race and how i will find a bike heheh
    - Diocleziano Toia (4th Malles Moto 2016) Crazy italian friend that just gives it all taking huge risks, he will also race to try and win
    - Lyndon Poskitt (Got a top 10 stage result in 2013) Very fast rider but also super good mechanic that has been traveling the world on his bike
    - Scott Britnell (1st Dakar participation) A Military that has competed this year in ADDC and Qatar, he is surely looking to finish Dakar but i'm sure he will be giving his best to get on the podium
    - If you know other riders coming Malles Moto this year just list them, so we can start building the hype around Malles Moto Dakar 2017!!
  19. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the “Malle-Moto” class (riders with no technical backup, only their own hands and tools) more than ten competitors have signed up. This will be one of the most international years in this class. Among others, we find Mateo Olivetto (Italy), Lyndon Poskitt and David Watson (UK), Mart Meeru and Toomas Triisa (Estonia), Jasper Riezebos and Jurgen Van den Goorbergh (Netherlands), Lkhamaa Namchin (Mongolia) or Simon Marcic (Slovenia).
    http://www.irishmotorsportsnews.com/2016/08/07/bike-quad-entries-decided-for-dakar-2017/
    DesertSurfer, K_N_Fodder and Gian like this.
  20. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Right! Manuel, Matteo Olivetto I think he lives around Padova so very close to you, he usually does some motorally races ;)

what kit is this?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.matteoolivetto.com/
    *kartman* likes this.