Mammoth to Virginia City Round Trip Plus More

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MotoChaos, Aug 16, 2019.

1. MotoChaos

MotoChaos Left Behind

Oddometer:
    Going to be riding up to Mammoth soon. During our stay, we are taking a day to ride up into Virginia City via the 395. Our plan is to come back to Mammoth on the Nevada side via Silver Springs - Mason - Smith Valley and eventually joining the 395 in Bridgeport.

Anyone done this? Thoughts? Things to see?

For day 2, we are still thinking of destinations. Is Hawthorne, NV worth a look? I see that Walker Lake is up that way.

Thanks for any tips.
  2. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Road ride?
  3. MotoChaos

MotoChaos Left Behind

Oddometer:
    Yes. Maybe some good fire roads. My group has done the road to Bodie but we are on big bikes and want to do the touring thing this trip.
  4. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Virginia City, go down 6 mile canyon road, cross hwy 50 onto Ft Churchill Road (fair to good gravel road, goes along the Carson River, after 15 miles comes out on 95, Ft Churchill State Park on the East end. Take a look at the ruins there if you have time. Just south of Ft. Churchill on 95s is Buckland Station, another historic site. Pit toilets in the back, no potable water. South of Yerrington you will go through Wilson Canyon, pretty cool narrow canyon with Walker River flowing next to in. Oh, get fuel in Yerrington, not much in between there and Bridgeport and Brideport gas is about $1.50 -$2 more per gallon that about anywhere north of there. Just south of Smith you'll go straight onto SR338 (208 makes a fairly sharp right turn) and that takes you to 395 at the south end of Bridgeport.

In my opinion not much to see in Hawthorne but if you go check out the military museum there. I forget the proper name of it but it's easy to spot. There's a chance you may see bighorn sheep around Walker Lake but if they're not right along the road and you don't know where to look you will probably go right by them.
    To answer your question "has anyone ever done this?" Yes, I have gone to Bridgeport this way several times. Desert scenic. I like the route myself.

If you're going Mammoth/Virginia City/Mamoth in one day that'll be a lot of seat time and not much seeing the sites, but I'm sure you knew that already. Have a great trip!
    slogger and MotoChaos like this.
  5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I'd skip Hawthorne. But if you go that way, stay on 95 south to 6. Go west at Benton on 108 and take it back to 395.

You could also get creative and go around east side of Tahoe, over Luther, 88 east to Woodfords, south on 89 through Markleeville and then east over Monitor back to 395. You could also back track on 395 5 miles or so back to Holbrook Jct then east through Wellington staying right and going through Sweetwater and into CA and back to 396 in Bridgeport. All paved. Have fun
    MotoChaos likes this.
  6. MotoChaos

MotoChaos Left Behind

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Appreciate the ideas!
  7. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trip down 338/182 into Bridgeport is a great road. Nice smooth high speed sweepers.
  8. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    7C21B8C6-FECA-42D1-AFDA-DB9CD2BECA7C.jpeg BBFD8632-ADD5-4BE6-B763-77D124EB453F.jpeg Don’t skip Hawthorne. True, not much to see. Walker. Lake is impressive. If you can do smooth unpaved roads, take Luckyboy Pass back to Bridgeport. It will put you out on 338 / 182 just north
    of Bridgeport. Catch it on the south side of Hawthorne as you are leaving.
    slogger likes this.