1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Manawatu Adventures

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Husky 701 Enduro with about half worn Tractionator on rear, so should be OK.
    EVLED likes this.
  2. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Fantastic Weather in the Manawatu on Sunday.
    The ride started with a short 8-10 km`s down the beach from Himatangi Beach to Foxton Beach.
    A jaunt upto the Shannon dams was quite pleasant.
    Checked out a few side tracks until one got quite slippery and muddy and had a long downhill, being on my own and out of cell coverage I chickened out and turned around.
    Shannon 1.jpg Shannon 2.jpg Shannon 3.jpg

Headed for Palmy North and North range road.
    Went in from the Pahiatua Track end, started off by trying to ride around all the bogs and puddles but couldn't get any rhythm going.
    So I just accepted that I was going to get wet feet and started riding through them all.
    Most had a reasonably firm base and I didn't have to do any paddling with my feet.

Came across a group of about 8 four wheel drives winching their way up the track, so had to wait about 10 minutes to get past them.

The worst bog hole was the very last one at the southern end, didn't look much but when i went in my front wheel disappeared under the mud.
    A big handful of throttle seemed to sort that out and I popped out the other side, covered in mud from top to bottom.

The boggy bit was shorter and easier than expected so after gassing up in Woodville I turned around and rode it in the opposite direction.

That was certainly much more of a challenge riding in the uphill direction, but I made it to the top without having to get off and do any pushing so quite pleased about that.
    Headed back to Tangimoana beach and found a stream to ride up to clean me and the bike. Sand was quite firm right up until it became quicksand and the bike just stopped.

Tried to lift and dig the bike out but was not getting anywhere. Luckily about 15 minutes later a couple of guys in a Buggy came along and saw me thigh deep in the water.
    With the help of some driftwood logs the three of us managed to lift the bike clear and it fired right back up.

Another lesson learned there, then dont play silly buggers when you are on your own.

Monday was a quiet run up the Turakina Valley road into Waiouru, threw the bike on the back of the Ute and headed home with a few more roads ticked off the list.

Turakina Waterfall
    Turakina Waterfall.jpg
    Mc107, dazzadm, oldbeer and 7 others like this.
  3. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Thought you might get a bit damp doing NR road Mark. Some of the 4WD's we spotted looked like they'd been in a mud fight and lost....badly! Took my bride up to the dams on Saturday in the Mitzi...poured down on the way back...glad the weather was better for ya on Sunday.
  4. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
  5. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Poor old Connie has not been getting a lot of love lately but she finally hit another mileststone:

P1010107.JPG P1010112.JPG
    Muzz67, biggo, oldbeer and 1 other person like this.
  6. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Just watched your Kiwi Road video @EVLED . Brought back some very happy memories. I've only ridden it once, north to south two up on my old vstrom. I really should go and do it again.
    glitch_oz and EVLED like this.
  7. EVLED

Oddometer:
    Well, you're going to be close soon...
  8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes but....bit much to do Kiwi Rd and ride back to Auckland on the same day. For me at least. Havent done Junction Road yet either... Needs a dedicated trip methinks.
  9. EVLED

Oddometer:
  10. EVLED

Oddometer: