Manboy in the Promised Land: Free Bike to Oblivion

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by SleazyRider, Dec 20, 2011.

1. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This and two others are my favorite ride reports of the last 10 years.
    You combine the spirit of Easy Rider with a modern sensibility. I love your sardonic life view. I wish you'd share more about what it's like to travel so far on such a low-powered, Un-faired motorbike.
    Keep it coming!

Ted
  2. SleazyRider

SleazyRider Desolate Loner

Oddometer:
    Finally wrapping up Alaska:

[​IMG]
    ...on the shores of destruction bay: I met a couple of Mexican guys on BMWs riding form Guadalajara to Alaska and back when crossing the border into BC. Antonio was trying to bring a couple of cartons of smokes with him and the guy at the gas station was giving him a hard time. Great guys and Danny gifted me a tiny bottle of tequila which I doffed under the midnight sun. It would not be their last gift and I would see them again, shortly and then much, much later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haines: Wildlife abounds in Haines, Alaska, a land of super natural beauty. Grizzlies munch on salmon and bald eagles swoop about. There are too many bears here. On my way into town I stopped at a river overlook to snack on some delicious nutritious sardines. I was watching a black bear cavort on the other side of the river when he looked up and spotted me. Our eyes met and he bore the expression of a curious dog! He jumped into the river and started swimming, coming to say hello! I jumped on the bike, furiously kicking it over until it finally started, the bear having scrambled up the bank.

[​IMG]
    Sourdough hotcakes and eggs, courtesy of Gina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Soap by Gina, of the Great Alaska Soap Company

[​IMG]Gina making the soap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was able to snag a couchsurfing gig in Haines, and was so grateful for an actual insulated walled structure with roof and to be out of the rain. Gina took me to see the bears, fed me delicious nutritious halibut and sourdough hotcakes, and clued me in to her soap making operation. One of the few fond memories of Alaska. Seriously, it rained everyday I was in Alaska and I didn’t see the sun for two weeks. Is it gay to want to fellate the sun when it comes out? The ancients, man they were on to something with that sun worshipping business. I’m tired. I’m going to Mexico.

The Great Alaskan Soap Company: Run by Gina St. Claire: Haines resident, Alaskan, and a St. Chrisopherette who protects solo adventurers from the storm and cleanses them with handmade soaps. Fisherman’s Friend, made with anise and smelling for all the world like fresh licorice is a personal favorite. Listen, by all means buy all you soap here! Made in Alaska by a real Alaskan.

[​IMG]
    I'm on the ferry now, headed back to America.

[​IMG]
    This isn't my tent, I slept under the awning on a beach chair

[​IMG]
    A pod of orcas streaked around the ferry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In the bowels of the ferry. Antonio is there in his orange jacket, see you in ol' Mexico amigon.

[​IMG]
    Sun comes out nearing the continental USA - F--- You Alaska
  3. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff man, a lot of this stuff isn't in your blog, which I been following after we met in Tok....back... fuck me I can't remember when....

Did the CB500 make it back to Brooklyn?
    Last I read you where playing squid on a TL1000S in Brooklyn! Is this true?:freaky

I thought only Africans rode TL1000's in Brooklyn. Have ya gone to the dark side man? Cant say I'd blame ya.:1drink
  4. SleazyRider

SleazyRider Desolate Loner

Oddometer:
    Whats up Alex!?

man...that was back in August of 2011!

...and yes I am here in BK on the TL, of which all colors and creeds can and do ride, but is kind to no man.
  5. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea I remember now, after seeing you in Tok I spent most of three days riding in the freaking rain to get out of Alaska. Cold and soggy ride it was. The weather broke in Grande Prairie, it was lovely after that.
    Looks like your ride to the ferry was soggy as well.
    Good to hear from ya, keep in touch. A.