Map One Long Route Or Split It?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by marco polo, May 17, 2006.

1. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Garmin 276C (bought last year), and obviously I use Mapsource. I'm planning a long ride from Ottawa, Ontario to Gunnison, Colorado in June. My question: are there any advantages/disadvantages (other then extra work) to splitting one long route into several shorter routes of roughly a day's worth of riding each? Also, do most of you turn the auto-recalculation feature off on your GPS, or not? I've generally left it on, but I wouldn't want it to bugger up my carefully-crafted work that I did on the PC in Mapsource. If I turn it off, what happens when I miss a turn in a town, for example?
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Definitely turn off the auto recalc for exactly the reason you mentioned. If you miss a turn it will just say off route and keep trying to make you get back on, but it won't change your route. You can have it do a recalc manually but it will change your whole route.
  3. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have almost always done just a single route on long trips. Except when I hope to have some free time on the ride but don't know how much until I am actually doing the ride. In those cases I plot out a bunch of smaller routes that I can string together in various ways depending on the time available.

I don't turn the recalc off but I do set it to ask me before it recalculates. The only problem with this is that occasionally it seems to be a bit touchy about the route and thinks I am off course when I am not. This seems to happen most often in the really complicated turns and all of a sudden there is no guidance available.

As far as it screwing up a carefully crafted route I don't think it changes the route in memory but just the display. So you can just stop the route and then reload it and it will again be your original carefully crafted route. But, if you save the route after it has recalced then you will lose the original. Don't take my word on this, I could be wrong. Do the experiment. Design a crafty route, download it, recalc it, verify that the recalc has changed the route and then reselect it on the 276C and see if you do in fact get the original back.
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Definately a big yes. When heading out on a similar trip I cut things up into two to three routes a day. That will give you some flexibility in doing your own recalc's as well if something comes up, a special place you want to see, traffic or weather detour.
  5. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about the same thing, I am going to try breaking it down into 1 day segments, that way I will know how long I have to go each day till I reach camp, plus it is more flexible with changes.

I always have auto-recalc off, messes up my preplanned route if I don't
  6. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    I'd like to know the answer on this for sure too. I had my V on auto-recalc and it changed a route of mine after I stopped for gas (got off route). It totally changed the route I was navigating, but it did appear that my original route was displayed on the map page. I can't remember if I tried to stop navigation and start it again with my original route.
  7. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a trip to BC and AB this summer I planned the whole trip using only waypoints. I gave each waypoint a name starting at the number 100 but I also skipped numbers every so often so that I could fill in changes during the trip. The trip also has some alternate routes/destinations in it so I fit them in the numbering system and used a different map symbol for the alternate waypoints. When I ride the route I'll just navigate to the next waypoint all of which are in order on the waypoint page. I also intend to erase each waypoint after it's been passed so that the next waypoints are always at the top of the list. The reason I've done it this way is for the flexibility it gives. I can detour or make any changes I want w/o having to change a route or wait for it to recalculate.
    For example from San Diego I have something like the following:
    100TPalms for 29 Palms
    101Amboy
    105Mesquite
    107Virgin for Virgin, UT which is an alternate route so will have a different symbol.
  8. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did the experiment I mentioned above and the recalc does NOT change the route in memory. You can always get your carefully crafted route back by simply reloading it from your route screen.
  9. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's good to know. Haven't had time to experiment yet. It's been raining for a week, and I haven't bothered to head out on the bike. Yeah, I know....
  10. Rabid

Rabid Comanche

Oddometer:
    Today I spoke with a senior Garmin Tech about Mapsource. He offered me a great tip. When establishing a route in Mapsource, set each waypoint just after each turn or just after changing roads. This way, the turn is clearly identified and you will have the new road or road identifier showing up as a turn on the GPS. This helps the device recaluclate your position after you make the turn or road change.

Many of you already know this, but I am new to a GPS and thought it was worth sharing to other GPS newby's like me.:clap
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Yep, learned that years ago - right here on ADVrider:evil
  12. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    And we also learned to try not to pick spots, if at all possible, that are not on ramps, one way or divided highway so the route can be easily reversible as well.
  13. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    As opposed to a route, I just upload waypoints that I'd like to hit. That way, I can just wander in the general direction of my destination, and the gps can just recalc whenever I go walkabout, but I can eventually get there.

I find this very handy because of arrival times estimated. So if I want to be off the road by 1900, I just keep playing until my estimated arrival time reads 1900 or so, and then I start following where it's telling me to go and I arrive on time.

I'm not a fan of preset routes, myself. I like finding stuff, wandering, exploring.

To each his own, I guess.
  14. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Great minds, I've been doing the same thing. I make a couple routes for planning purposes and based upon the planning and what I might want to see I store a bunch of waypoints and then follow my nose. Go to favorites, you can see them sorted by distance and play till your heart is content. :nod
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Been doing it way before we had these gadgets. My wife would give a me a list of places when we were gonna go on a tour, and I'd get us there. Depending on weather, traffic, how we felt, time, I'd adjust fire on destinations. Saw some of the best parts of Europe that way, because we'd constantly be off the beaten path.

Good rule of thumb there: If a tour bus can fit, find a smaller road. And stay in places on those smaller roads. Stayed with locals, and met the nicest people. Best damn thing we ever did in traveling around the place.
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Wish I had time to play and go exploring :dunno

When I am going on a trip I usually need to get to a place quickly and I don't have time to go exploring. Once in a decent riding location I usually rely on tracks/routes obtained from others who have ridden the area before.

YMMV if you live somewhere that you don't have to travel 3-500 miles to get to really good riding:huh
  17. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Long timer

Oddometer:
    cool way to use waypoints. I'll have to keep this in mind.
  18. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I follow the one route = one day maxim. That way I know the ETA and distance to my arrival point for the night. If I am dawdling I can pick it up a bit to get in before dark or whatever. Or conversely if I have time, I can pull over more to take in the views. Sometimes I plan alternate routes to give more options.

I also load additional waypoints (not in the route) to give me options if the circumstances dicatate or I just feel like a change.
  19. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    When doing a multi day trip, do you do a route for each day or for entire trip?

For overall planning, I think I like one big route, with each waypoint a day. Though imagine for more complicated rides thats hard. So far I did it to get to Alaska. But was going to do indvidual days and routes when I get there. I may break it down to day by day routes, when I really go.

Just curious. Got a Zumo 660 this week and new to it.
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think over time you might find that it is easier to manage and navigate your Routes on a Daily basis. Another suggestion would be to Name them in a "standardized" way for you. That will make it easy to locate the route and you won't get mixed up from day to day. You should do the same for your waypoints (favorites). Don't worry about having to many routes or waypoints as you can store a lot on the SDCard.