mappite.org - create routes easily, feedback wanted!

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by gspeed, Apr 4, 2015.

1. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some news ;)

• Loop/Closed Route: click on symbol next to total route length to close the route, last point will match the first point. Additional points will be added before last point (unless you specify another position).
    • Cumulative distance/time is shown when clicking on leg timing/distance
    • Whatsapp support, create a route and share via whatsapp in one click (works on mobile devices)
    • If a tag is selected from the list, that tag gets added to the route when saving
    • POI icons (passes/fuel etc) are grouped when icons overlap. Campings added
    • Short URLs are now maintained internally (not anymore via external tinyurl)
    • Several minor UI improvements
    Finally, to sustain site costs I had to invent something, folks who register/donate can now save routes in cloud and have them available in any device they own (PC, mobile, tablets). I may add some additional premium features to encourage supporting mappite...

:clap:clap:clap
    Macho Man2 and Suncoaster like this.
  2. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, the most important premium feature that I'd like to see is a written, hopefully downloadable and comprehensive tutorial.
    (I've seen the video, thanks, and I've been taking notes as I go.)

Granted, the best way to learn something is often by experimenting, but sometimes I'm just so damn busy myself that I just want to skip the "figure out how do I do dat" and get 'er done.

So, I'm all about keeping it simple and I really sincerely appreciate what you're doing. Keep it up.

But a tutorial would be nice. :-)
  3. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Menhir right we should create more short videos or at least an how-to to cover all functionalities. On the other side, the aim is to have an intuitive tool as well, thus maybe tooltips could do the job

Anyway, an how to with some screenshots will be rather simple, what should it cover? What you spent time most to "figure out how to do that"?

Here a first cut:

Route Creation
    . How can I create a route (add/remove/move point)?
    . How can I add a point among two existing points?
    . How can I close loop or invert a route?
    . How can I see cumulative timings/distances across way points?
    . How can I add/remove Mountain Passes, Fuel Stations, Grocery stores or Campings to the map and to the route?
    . How can I add points on unpaved ways or use unpaved ways in my route?
    . How can I plan a trip through seasonal ways that are currently closed?
    . How can I switch map?

. How can I share a route with friends?
    . How can I export a route to GPS Navigators?
    . How can I import an existing GPX route or track?

Save
    . How can I save a route in my browser/PC?
    . How can I use tags to filter available routes?
    . How can I save a route in the cloud and have it available in any device I connect to?
    Clampett likes this.
  4. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks good. :-)

The thoughts behind my request: There has been a tendency over the years for programmers and manufacturers to put forth products without, or with limited information on how to use them. I think it's a bad trend.

I wonder if there wouldn't be as much frustration with Basecamp, for example, if new users didn't have to spend endless hours on the web searching for third party answers that could have been easily addressed if Garmin had made available a clearly written tutorial and kept it updated when they made the program available. After all these years, users are still posting all over the net trying to figure out how to use Basecamp.

Mappite is far more intuitive than anything else I've found yet, thank you thank you thank you.
    I practiced making some routes a month or so ago and then had to leave it as I became busy at work. When I got back to it, I picked up my learning where I left off and moved forward from there. It seems that every time I returned to Basecamp after a lapse, I had to refer back to my notes to get anything done.

Keeping it simple...I like that.
    rkover1 likes this.
  5. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A follow up:

I finally had time to road test a relatively complex route I created with Mappite. It only took a few minutes to chart it out...Easy.

In my case, I tried my 30 mile commute which is littered with quite a few turns while I wend my way though my old neighborhood to the interstate. It's a good test because my GPS wouldn't choose any of the roads I would usually take.

The route creating was fast and easy, and the GPS directed me along my chosen roads flawlessly.

I'm very happy with the process and the results. Good job! :clap

PS: After I created the route, Instead of loading it directly to my device, I saved the file to my desktop and opened it with MapSource and loaded it into my Zumo 660 from there.
    I wanted to see if any adjustments would have to be me. In this instance, none were necessary.
  6. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Menhir - glad to hear that.

I just published the "how to", from the bottom-left panel click on the i (info) icon and... pls. let me know your feedback. it's a starting point but it seems to me useful so I published it already.

Feel free to suggest corrections/rewording.

Thanks!
    Menhir likes this.
  7. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through it and it looks good to me. Thanks for listening.
    Mappite is so easy to learn that I almost felt embarrassed suggesting a tutorial but, as I mentioned previously, anything that helps a user learn or recall how to perform a task is a kindness.

I'm a martial arts instructor, so I tend to think that way. In my case, if my students are frustrated because I am not providing them with the information they need to learn what they are paying me to teach them they'll either quit or go elsewhere and I'm out of a job.

I can just visualize it:
    "Sir, how to I block and counter this technique?"
    "Just look it up on the web and play around with it until you figure it out." :twitch

:D
  8. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    News: from PC/laptops it's now possible to update a route via drag&drop, i.e. just drag any point or via point to a new position :clap

Hope it works as expected, I didn't test too much! Let me know if anything fails. In Internet Explored only via points are draggable, use Firefox/Chrome/Safari for better experience. The functionality is disabled on smartphone since it may not be easy to "pinch" the route line.
    Menhir and Clampett like this.
  9. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool.

At this point, I've been so busy at work and have done so little riding over the last several weeks due to a wave of very unseasonably low temperatures that I haven't had a chance to try the drag on drop in practice. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your work in the meanwhile. :thumbup

PS: Have you posted about Mappite in the Mapping and Navigation forum here? I'll bet a lot more people will see it there.
  10. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For sure I'm not a good marketing guy ;)
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  11. DelHess

DelHess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love mappite! thanks for the work you put into it. Simple, cheap and does exactly what I want to do.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  12. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @DelHess - thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoy it!
  13. motorrad3DP

motorrad3DP motorrad3DP@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    hi guys.

new user here. i posted on mappite quite awhile ago when researching options on the net and was directed here. hopefully the creator of the thread can steer me in proper use of the thread.

that said i am going to just jump in and ask some questions. i have printed out this thread and will read up periodically while on the road.

1. i went to save a file and saw that it would be saved "in the browser". what does this mean exactly? where is this data located?
    2. i signed up and donated using paypal (super convenient). however i am not trying to upload the route to save to a dropbox folder and i am confused as to how to do this. i do not see an email with registration info. and i don't know that i have an account yet even after donating. how to i set up an account?
    3. is there an UNDO? at the end of browsing a created file i accidentally dropped a pin and it screwed up the route. so undo would be really welcome since i had to IMPORT my recently created file to get back to where i needed to be.
    4. is this thread and the UI the proper place to learn about the software?
    5. anyone have a good place to ask some lunkhead questions about google maps?
    6. i can't even remember what i am using now for MC trips. here is what i see on my iphone. can anyone tell me what is dead and should delete and what is still alive and i should try again:
    OSMaps, guru maps. navigon. copilot GPS. locus lite. glympse. motion x gps. furkot. tourstart
    7. i seem to be accidentally adding places. is there a way to prevent this or does anyone know how i am doing this? i have a tap pad and am accidentally clicking on it?

some notes for myself in case the developer will taking suggestions (ALL apologies for being so bold as to make suggestion and advance apologies if these have been addressed previously).

A. more prominent undo function if it exists.
    B. search for towns or addresses /within/ the list of places. so i can delete a wrong address, enter the correct one, and simply have mappite replace the old address with the new one. or add a pin and search within the list instead of having to go to the search bar and enter a location and then rearrange it in the list. but maybe there are other options here i am missing.
    C. ability to customize zoom in and zoom out scale. also maybe a toggle to more incrementally or more macro-ally scale in and out.
    D. customizable mouse click options.
    E. recently added functionality so you can know what you accidentally added.
    F. i seem to be accidentally.
    G. ability to do double click to add places instead of single click? right now i seem to be adding places/pins by mistake.

again apologies if any of that is sort of dumb noob stuff. i'd rather post stupid things than have something intelligent to add and forget it.

- jon
  14. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoop, this thread was quiet for a while - thanks for the wake up, some feedback:

1. i went to save a file and saw that it would be saved "in the browser". what does this mean exactly? where is this data located?
    This is a bit technical, the route get saved in your browser "local storage" area which is a sort of cache, exact place on disk depends on browser. It works great but in case you delete all your browser temp files or change PC you'll lose your routes. Also, if you want to share the route, for example, from your PC to another PC or your phone you need to copy the URL or generate a short link (menu share->short link) and send it via email, text, whatapp etc.
    2. i signed up and donated using paypal (super convenient). however i am not trying to upload the route to save to a dropbox folder and i am confused as to how to do this. i do not see an email with registration info. and i don't know that i have an account yet even after donating. how to i set up an account?
    Thanks for supporting mappite, you should have received a user/password to enroll: if not pls. mail to info@mappite.org
    Once enrolled, whenever you save a route it gets saved on cloud (in mappite.org servers) and it will appear on each device you enroll to (you can enroll in as many device as you have using the same user/pwd).
    3. is there an UNDO? at the end of browsing a created file i accidentally dropped a pin and it screwed up the route. so undo would be really welcome since i had to IMPORT my recently created file to get back to where i needed to be.
    Right... undo is limited, juts one undo action works. I need to improve that.
    4. is this thread and the UI the proper place to learn about the software?
    Yes... I admit, I should do better marketing...
    5. anyone have a good place to ask some lunkhead questions about google maps?
    Can't help on this one - you may have notices that once you create a route with mappite you can move it to google maps (share menu)
    6. i can't even remember what i am using now for MC trips. here is what i see on my iphone. can anyone tell me what is dead and should delete and what is still alive and i should try again:
    OSMaps, guru maps. navigon. copilot GPS. locus lite. glympse. motion x gps. furkot. tourstart

Furkot and OSMAnd are still live for sure.
    7. i seem to be accidentally adding places. is there a way to prevent this or does anyone know how i am doing this? i have a tap pad and am accidentally clicking on it?
    Perhaps, need more details. With a touch device a viapoint can be added with a long tap, while on a PC/Mac it gets added with a single click which may inadvertently happen if you touch the pad. I see, I should add an option to let that happen with double clicks.

Thanks for your feedback and improvement suggestions
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  15. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    i had an issue importing the route to google maps.
    it only let me do the first leg of the trip and i couldn’t find or get back to the other legal
    anyone have ideas?
  16. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How many legs you have in mappite? Can you post an example? Perhaps a way is not available in google maps.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  17. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    i’ll have to do it when i get back. you need a screenshot of the path or do you need an actual file. i think it only saved it to a browser afaik.
  18. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just copy the url or generate the short link and paste it here -
  19. gspeed

gspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope you did not get lost because of mappite ;)
  20. Coronelcortez

Coronelcortez n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! First of all, let me say that this tool it's perfect for the kind of dual-sport stuff I do, combined with Google Earth when a lot of off road is involved, and it works great! Or worked, anyway.
    Since last year, I have been experiencing a problems with the labels (pics attached). I tested it on Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE, etc, and both Windows 10 and Linux (my primary OS).
    I also asked friends and relatives to test, and the same happen to them. Any clue why this could happen? Of course I tried everything, from changing theme, to plugins deactivation, reinstalling browsers, etc.
    When I see the code the labels are there, but don't appear on the screen. Would love any help you could provide!
    Thank you very much.

Attached Files: