Maprika

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by PNWet, Oct 31, 2018.

1. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a search and didn't find anything for Maprika.

Last week I learned about an app called Maprika. I've never used it, so bear with me...

It has an Android, iOs, and desktop version, and I believe they're all free. With it on your desktop, you can take any map, open it in the left pane, then open a geo-referenced map in the right pane of the same area. Using the geo-referenced map, you can geo-reference the map in the left pane.

The map in the left pane can be (or maybe is supposed to be) an image. Using it, you can geo-reference historical and even hand-drawn maps of the area you're interested in.

I can see tons of uses for this. I watched a lengthy video on youtube about a person who liked to treasure hunt, and geo-referenced a bunch of civil war camps (apparently both armies drew fairly accurate camp maps). With that, he's been able to go to those camps, and using his metal detector, look for buried relics. I have found that both WSU and UW have tons of maps imaged and they are free to access. Here's an example: http://content.libraries.wsu.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/maps/id/956/rec/1

As for ADV, maybe you've got a paper map of an area, maybe you have an old hand drawn map (like the only official USFS trail map of Evans Creek in WA), maybe you want to draw a map for your buddies to find your camp or route, etc. Using Maprika, as I understand it, you can georeference those maps.

http://www.maprika.com

note: I am in no way affiliated with Maprika, and again I've not used it yet.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences with Maprika.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like abandonware?
  3. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It still shows up in the iTunes store for me. The name that shows is "GPS on ski map by Maprika". My friends and I use it while riding in the woods because you can see where everyone is.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i don't think it's actively developed anymore, but that's not a negative if the features are good enough for your needs. it uses the same compare-n-place-waypoint method for manually georeferencing images as locus and a few other apps do, which is far superior to the Google Earth method of stretch-n-skew method. much more precise, much much much faster.

if you're interested in just downloading maps, check out avenza. Avenza is still being developed and very similar in day to day usages to Maprika.

if you want to do more georeferencing of your own maps (from pictures trail heads, online sources, etc) check out locus, it's good at a lot of other things, and it's georeferencing process is similar to Maprika and Avenza.

if you want to covert pdfs to jpegs, there is an application called X2IMGPRO that works very well for this. you'll have to dig through the Internet's to find it, as it is no longer in the play store. this is it's version and info:
    Screenshot_2018-11-01-06-09-50.png
  5. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used Avenza, and it does a good job at tracking me on an already geo-referenced map, also called a GeoPDF. I have the free version, and it only allows a handful of GeoPDFs, after that you need to buy the full version. To my knowledge, you can't make a GeoPDF with Avenza, you can only read them.

I have Locus Pro. I didn't know you could make a GeoPDF with Locus. I didn't know Locus could even read them. How do you do this?

Haven't heard of X2IMGPRO.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

oh wait, i may have confused Maprika with Avenza. i don't use them often enough to stay current. i have used Maprika to georeference images, sorry about the confusion!

locus uses the same point comparison purposes as Maprika georeference image files, but locus cannot directly do pdfs, but x2imgpro will convert pdfs to jpeg, which locus can georeference. make sense?

i have about 55 kmzs created from jpegs in my locus/map items / directory from trail head maps, screenshots of Facebook posts, online images from forums etc.... helps to find great roads and greater single track. :-)
    PNWet likes this.