1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Maps! Paper ones. Anyone still use them?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TT RDHS, Feb 5, 2018.

1. TT RDHS

TT RDHS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love maps!
    And if I were not such a luddite, I would probably love GPS.
    But I have not succumbed to the lure of that "new" technology yet.
    Anyone else still use the map pocket in their tankbag?
    ;-)
  2. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ME!!!!
  3. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always carry an atlas with me ... good for checking the big picture over a cup of coffee. :)
    10K, mutt550, Morgan Steele and 5 others like this.
  4. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer:
    Without a map (Mrs. Greg bought me plastic-coated maps of all 50 states) in my tankbag map window, I am TOTALLY out of kilter.

Yes, I also ride with a GPS, but nothing...no, NOTHING...takes the place of a map.:clap

--Doc
    413Sean, OLDNX, DCrider and 6 others like this.
  5. st3ryder

st3ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use maps exclusively. No GPS for me. I will plot my route, write it on a sheet of paper and slip it in my tank bag window, and navigate from there. The maps/atlas in the tank bag as well. :-)

And if I go off route...well, some of the best rides I've had have been when I was "lost". Finding a new twisty bit of road accidently, is still one of the best feelings I get from riding. :-)

But I ride on paved roads only. I can see GPS being a great advatnge in unfamiliar cities when looking for an address or maybe even off roading. But for back road sweeper seekers like me, I do it the ole fashioned way, and enjoy myself doing it.

Just some thing about using a map, like reading a news paper at times instead of a device, that just feels right. :-)

I like to get a topographical view/idea of where I am. Can't be done on a small screen. And really, I couldn't stand listening to a voice pop up and tell me when to turn when I might have a groove going on. Maybe I just want to keep riding and ignore the directions and see where the road takes when the riding is good. :-)
  6. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought my first GPS, next trip will be the first not depending on a paper map. I'll still have one as a back-up though; they don't run out of battery power!
    OLDNX and Kawasakirob like this.
  7. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    The GPS doesn't know how to take the roads less traveled in most cases. If that's the point, there's no substitute for a map or atlas.
  8. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    If somebody shoots your GPS you have a paperweight. If somebody shoots my map I have a map with a hole in it.

I have a Garmin GPS and can't figure out how to use it, so it is still maps or just a compass for me. It is funny asking for directions now, most people have no idea where they are even if they live there. They just ask why I don't look on my phone. My what?
    shinyribs, rufus and Rockred like this.
  9. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    True; I bought my GPS specifically because I can go online and create a whole route exactly how I want it, then download it to the unit. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
    Kawasakirob and ydarg like this.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I always carry paper maps.
    bajaburro and TT RDHS like this.
  11. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have only ever used a GPS is to log, and find again, a fishing spot in the ocean.

Have never used a vehicle equiped with GPS, and seldom even use paper maps when on the road. I check out my route out, on paper, or on Google Maps, before I hit the road, and wing it from there, using road signs and memory. Yup, I do occasionally lose my way, but am not usually bothered. It is all part of the adventure.
  12. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Aj Mick, post: 34272538, member Yup, I do occasionally lose my way, but am not usually bothered. It is all part of the adventure.[/QUOTE]

I ain't lost, just never been here before.
    OLDNX and Aj Mick like this.
  13. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gps for the car, never on the moto.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    "I may not know exactly where I am, but that doesn't mean I'm lost."

I'm not lost as long as I can find my way home!

While doing the CDR & the HOW routes a GPS is the best tool for following the routes. In some of the National Forests there are just too many intersecting dirt roads with no labels. To have to constantly refer to a paper maps would slow the progress to a crawl.

Backcountry Byways' HOW route includes GPS tracks and paper maps with the route highlighted on the maps.
    Bucho and SFC_Ren like this.
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Maps = good.

GPS = uh, don't know, don't have one.
    Aj Mick likes this.
  16. RatAssassin

RatAssassin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old school map guy here. I just prefer it on wilderness or motorcycle trips.

As my buddy once said with a huge grin on one of our adventures, I believe in Quetico......"You're not lost if you don't care where in the hell you are in the first place."
    CaptCapsize likes this.
  17. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A map in the tankbag window on every ride. I also use a navigational GPS in case I get lost and to track my route.

I probably have a dozen atlas books and a few historical map books.
    joe a likes this.
  18. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find a GPS lets me plan routes to link up the best riding roads without having to worry about remembering 1000 directions. It means I can focus on enjoying the ride instead of worrying when then next turn-off is. In that sense, I feel it's technology worth having; I just carry a map for dependability now, should plan A go tits up.
    Kawasakirob and Chaostrophy like this.
  19. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's GPS? What's a smart phone? OK just kidding.....................I have heard of those devices, but I have no use for either. I do my research on Google maps before I leave home and use paper maps, just as god intended. Do I get lost.........yes of course I do occasionally, but I have met some real nice people when I ask for directions. I just play the dumb tourist and people are glad to help you with directions. Besides, I'm a contrarian, and refuse to follow the crowd:evil
    bajaburro and TT RDHS like this.
  20. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on "getting lost"

One can only get lost someplace once, after that you know where you are.

One is not lost as long as you still have fuel in the tank.....

Once the tank is empty, then you are hopelessly lost.
    Chaostrophy likes this.