Mapsource/Basecamp powered by Atom processor?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by team ftb, Dec 2, 2018.

1. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings all!!

So I have been through four, yes four Microsoft Surface Pro computers as my travel computer. I've given up and need a computer that is small and above all reliable for my travels. I found a 10 inch Lenovo that fits the bill for a couple hundred bucks. Only thing is it has a Atomx5-Z8350 Processor. I've never had a PC with this chip or an Atom Chip before. Will this chip be able to run Mapsource/Basecamp without any issues? Will it handle Google Earth ok? I'm not doing any picture or video editing on the thing just using it for traveling on my offroad motorbike.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    The processor will not be a problem. I've had a couple of 8" Windows Atom tablets that I've run Basecamp and a lot of other apps on. Can be kind of slow on things that require a lot of network bandwidth (like Google Earth).
    What is necessary is 2Gb of RAM.

My $65 Nuvision tablet worked great for 10 months but now won't charge or power up. The company won't reply to service requests.

I'm looking at the Surface Go at the moment. I've also been looking into seeing how Windows programs run on an Android tablet running WINE.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^+1

My ~2011 ASUS notebook has a sticker that says it has an Atom processor.
    I do sometimes run Basecamp and Mapsource on it when I am travelling with no real problems except probably some slowness.

A few times a year I create a Basecamp backup of the database on my main home computer and shoot it over to the Notebook, so the two computers have the same info.
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should work. Make sure you get enough storage.
    What kind of trouble with the Surface devices? Mine have been good to me.
  5. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.

I just saw the Nuvision yesterday when looking for PC's. That loos like a perfect option for a minimalist choice to utilize basecamp. Have you heard a lot of failures with the Nuvision over time?

Sadly I've had 2 of my high dollar Surface Pro computers fail quicker than your NuVision.
  6. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Motopsychoman stated 2gb RAM needed. The small laptop I was looking at has 4GB so hopefully it will be ok.

I would like to hear more about the Nuvision tablet and reliability as that's a nice cheap option.

Well the four surface Pro's I have all gotten new from MSFT have failed. Why? Not from the usual problems of cracked screens or swelling batteries but failure to boot up. Despite all the tech help and troubleshooting from MSFT. Despite loading the MSFT Surface Pro software. The fact that they had to build this to deal with all the Surface issues should have warned me of a potentially high failure rate. I have had three failures to boot, and unfixable, thereby having to be sent back to MSFT. The fourth one I got from warranty, I used for two weeks in the states where I got it, brought it back to Thailand and two weeks later the Touch screen is not responding. Doh!!! That was the final straw so I am abandoning the Surface product line as my experience has been horrid. If it was a $69 NuVision tablet I'd give it some latitude, $1200 for my Surface should have got me more top quality and reliability.

Hope you have better luck.
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't say that I'd recommend the Nuvision tablet. It replaced an 8" ASUS tablet I had for ~3 years that finally gave up. The Nuvision had a better display, worse WiFi performance, similar app performance, and died in just under 10 months. So, I guess if you want to figure that it cost me less than $7 per month, maybe it wasn't too bad a deal. 8" is a nice size for carrying on the bike.
  8. team ftb

Oddometer:
    Yeah after reading the reviews on Amazon there is a decent amount of dissatisfaction in regards to reliability.

If anyone has any recommendations for a small tablet about 8-inch or so that runs Windows operating system let me know.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I'm now using a Lenovo 10" Thinkpad tablet. So far, so good. I carry it in a Pelican 1065 case. I used to have an 8" Windows tablet that was fine running Mapsource but it charged through the micro usb port and that quit working. I couldn't locate another 8" Windows tablet so bought the Lenovo. I carry a bluetooth mouse as it makes using Mapsource (and I presume Basecamp) much easier. I get by with the touchscreen keyboard.
    khpossum likes this.
  10. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have an RCA Cambio 2-in-1 10.1" Touchscreen Tablet PC, With 2GB from Amazon. The latest on Amazon has a 32GB SSD. I use a 128GB card for extra storage. It runs BaceCamp well but I keep the map details mid level. Only had it a couple of months.
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win10 isn't 32gb friendly. Works for a while but then the updates plug it up. My 8" 32gb 2gb ram tablet is now basically useless.
    wbbnm likes this.
  12. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an Asus 1025c Netbook. It is upgraded to 2 gigs and still running Win 7. (Win 10 can be run but only a very basic driver as the video chip isn't supported by Win10) Screen is 10" and it has a 320 gig hard drive. It restarts in seconds (Literally!) and has great battery life and runs the relevant Garmin Apps. In some cases I have it simulate 1024 by 768 resolution for some apps (1024 by 600 is the actual; resolution.) My main use for it is for doing Garmin updates and route stuff while on trips and syncing my iPod with iTunes. For that it works just fine.

I keep looking for a decent 1024 by 768 Win 10 Computer that has 10" or so screen but almost anything I have come across doesn't have the storage, the battery life or it costs way more than I care to spend.

..Tom