mapsource update question

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by rick danger, May 26, 2006.

1. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    First let me start by saying I'm REALY bad with this stuff. Computers in general .So go easy I have a street pilot 3 with mapsource version 4.01. I bought a 276c and garmin let me unlock the maps to use both gps's. Is there any way to update the version 4.01 on line. Its from '02. Otherwise I'll have to spend $100 for the latest version to get all the cool new added stuff. Thanks for the help!......Rick
  2. ThomD

ThomD Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
  3. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every mapping package that Garmin sells comes with and operates in a program called MapSource. (Think of MapSource as MS Word and all the different mapping packages as different documents.)

Updates to the MapSource program are freely available and will install as long as you have some version already installed. The current version is 6.10.2.

In general, there are few if any updates to the mapping packages. There are a couple and they are indicated on Garmin's web site. If you have an old StreetPilot III, you probably have an old version of City Navigator or City Select. AFAIK, there isn't an upgrade path from a version that old to anything current.
  4. rick danger

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the new version from garmins website. Now that I have it in "my documents" how do I get it integrated with the mapsource 4.01 circa '02 that I have installed on my computor? Thanks for the help
  5. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    It doesn't integrate - it replaces.

The update is an .EXE file. Launch the program and it will do its thing and install itself and replace the prior version.

Not to sound harsh (and I just PM'd Phil and suggested some stickies on these kind of topics, and he's going to implement that) but go back about two or three months and start reading threads in this forum on the same kinds of questions. Most all of the questions you have now, someone else did before, and they are answered in here.

Dave
  6. rick danger

Oddometer:
    The thing I downloaded was 17.16 mb. That can't replace the entire northeast city navigator 4.01 can it. I'm realy bad with this stuff ,please forgive my stupid questions.
  7. mikeyb

mikeyb Just some guy

Oddometer:
    It will still use the map data from your original CD. That takes up most of the space. The 17.16 mb is just for the program that reads and displays the data.
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    "Every mapping package that Garmin sells comes with and operates in a program called MapSource. (Think of MapSource as MS Word and all the different mapping packages as different documents.)"

All you updated was Mapsource, not the actual maps.
  9. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Your CN 4.01 should work fine with the new Mapsource.

If you want updated map data, you're going to have to buy the new CN discs.

Dave
  10. olddude

olddude Auburn, CA

Oddometer:
    I have a nuvi 350. Did it come with a CD? I do not rememberr. Is there anyother way to get mapsource? Can someone put it up for download? I called garmin, but after 1 1/3 hr on hold I gave up (it will be my last garmin product also)

Thanks for any help

Ted
  11. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Strange, I got through in 15 minutes last week. :dunno

Read your manual. The Nuvi is a completely different breed and does not ship with Mapsource. You should have received "Dashboard Disk" Linky and that's about it from a software standpoint.

The Nuvi is in a different realm with the other GPS's and many think that it is not a good choice for use on a motorcycle since it's not waterproof and there are few good mounting options that I know of.

Here is a quote from Joe Mehaffey's website:

From what I have read about it and seen at Sam's Club, it looks to be more of a generic consumer and cage oriented GPS.
  12. nadiyasdad

nadiyasdad n00b

Oddometer:
    To get through to Garmin, you have to call when they open in the morning first thing. Anything later, and you will eat cake.
  13. olddude

olddude Auburn, CA

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. On the 950, it mounts fine with an optional sticky mount in front of the windscreen. I do not like a lot of stuff on the bars. Waterproof? That what warranties are for :D. My concern was the HD and off road, been fine so far.
    If I go to unlock mapource on G's webb site, it ask for serial #, it tells me what I have and an unlock code.
    When I plug it into Linux, it shows up as another drive. I can do anything I want on it.
    Guess I will get up at 3am to call them.
    Thanks everyone for the info.
  14. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Overkill, they don't open until 8AM Toto time or soemthing like that. :lol2

[​IMG]
  15. olddude

olddude Auburn, CA

Oddometer:
    I got through, 33 mins on hold. They are shipping it for free.
    Im not sure what you guys don't like about it on a bike.
    I can see it in brite sun light. I can hear it over the wind noise
    going 35mph or less. Seems to get me where I want to go.
    The price is ok ---- If you like to burn $$$$$ :D

This crap is so over priced... oh well.

ted