1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Marbleless' Excellent Baja Adventure: Punta Cabras

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Marbleless, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Marbleless

Marbleless Intelligentsia Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Marbleless' Next Excellent Baja Adventure

Man, has it already been a week-and-a-half since I've been back from Baja? Only one thing to do - get my ass back there! Yee-hah! :jump

Three-to-Four Days: 28-30 April, Friday-to-Sunday, maybe Saturday May 1st, if the waves are good, the tequila sublime, or the riding fine...

[​IMG]

San Diego Border Region to Cabras Area

This trip's gonna be waaay more laid back than the haul-ass until after dark Baja-Lite trip. So, you armchair ADV'ers that sat out the Baja-Lite trip listen up! :devildogYer gonna get another chance to ride the first part of our trip route, sans Tecate portion. :wings

This time the trip will be to head down there, explore, surf, drink Tecate, chase Euro-hosteller tail at Coyote Cal's, chill, or whatever. Me, I'm in for the surfing, kiteboarding, and generally just seeing this part of the route that I did before mostly in the dark! :eyes

The reason for going back is simple. I've got a meeting in San Diego for work on the 26th and 27th of April, and if I'm already that far down...

The plan is to get to Ejido Erendira around lunchtime on Friday, the 28th. It's a good place to meet, as there's a little restaurant, a small grocery (abbarotes) store there, and the famous Coyote Cal's Hostel is only a couple of miles up the road.

[​IMG]

Coyote Cal's International Hostel (photo - Eph)

[​IMG]

Plenty of Room to Park Yer Bikes at Cal's (photo - Marbleless)

[​IMG]

Come On In, the Bar's Fine at Coyote Cal's (photo - Eph)

There are a variety of rooms available for couples, and budget rooms to pack in the boys in bunk beds, plus a loft with beds above the gameroom (bring yer earplugs).

[​IMG]

Spartan Accomodations for the Budget Traveler (photo - Eph)

[​IMG]

Stuff to Do for Small and Big Kids Alike (photo - Eph)

[​IMG]

Chill Out at the Beach in Front of Coyote Cal's (photo - Eph)

Let's meet at Noon at Cal's, check in for those that will be staying there, then the surfers/campers will head on up the road to Punta Cabras and do that voodoo that they do so well.

[​IMG]

Punta Cabras Bay Surf Camp (photo - DirtDiver)

[​IMG]

Punta Cabras North Bay Surf Break (photo - DirtDiver)

Reservations for Coyote Cal's can be made online at:Okay, here's the route plan:
    The Basics from the Border:
    ~95-miles to Santo Tomas
    ~110-miles to Ejido Erendira Turnoff at Hwy-1 (Sign for Coyote Cal's)

Cross at San Diego/Tijuana, and head south on either the free road "Libre" or toll road to Ensenada and gas up.

[​IMG]

Ensenada to Santo Tomas and Punta Cabras Region

Continue on south to Maneadero at the south end of Ensenada Bay. Cruise down to Santo Tomas, and make a decision:

Drive the route the Baja-Lite krew did and head out to the coast or, head another 15-miles or so to the turnoff to Ejido Erendira and take a paved road almost all the way to the coast.

Easy route for those of you with cars, lite trucks, or trailers full-of-crap and toys is to head down to the turnoff to Ejido Erendira, follow a decent paved canyon road to Erendira, then go a couple of miles up a semi-decent dirt road to Cal's and take it from there.

[​IMG]

Santo Tomas to Punta Cabras to Ejido Erendira and Back to Hwy-1

[​IMG]

Santo Tomas to Ejido Erendira Overview - 3D

If you want to duplicate what the Baja-Lite krew did, then go to Santo Tomas, and head up the dirt road on the hill that you can see from the long approach to the village while crossing the plain and bridge before the town.

Here's the route visually from North to South:

Get on a killer dirt road and climb a hill, follow it for about 13-1/2 miles until you come to a long straight section in a big valley, then turn left toward the south.

[​IMG]

Santo Tomas to Turn for Punta Cabras

The turn to the south will take you on a rougher, but fun six-mile road to the coast, where it will get stony, and come to a steep, rocky grade down to a little fishing camp cove.

[​IMG]

Turn for Punta Cabras to the Point

After you get to the flatter area, it's a piece of cake on a rocky dirt road to the surf spots, about two miles to the south.

[​IMG]

Coastal Route to Coyote Cal's & Erendira

[​IMG]

Soft Dirt Drop Down to Punta Cabras, Easier Route Goes to Left (photo - Marbleless)

[​IMG]

Dirty Rotten Dirt Near Punta Cabras (photo - Marbleless)

It's about another six or seven miles south from the surf spots to Coyote Ca'ls. Then about two miles into Ejido Erendira.

[​IMG]

Coastal Route & Paved Road to Hwy-1

The route from Ejido Erendira back up to Hwy-1 is about 10 or 11 miles of decent pavement with the occasional pothole once you get off the dirt road in the village.

[​IMG]

Ejido Erendira Back to Hwy-1

Piece of cake. If anybody's got any questions, now's the time. Just over three-weeks and counting! :clap :freaky

-M
  2. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    WooHoo!:clap I'm there! :freaky

Might have to take truck and trailer the toys though.
  3. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, and one more thing for the Baja-Lite crew:

Don't forget the Sonora Coast trip, bitches! Look what I bought today:

[​IMG]

See ya in future planning forums, you dirt dogs! - (cue maniacal laughter) :jump

-M
  4. EphTwoEight

EphTwoEight Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:roflThat picture!?:poseris that you?
  5. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    Mmmm most tempting!!!

I'm not a surfer, kite-surfer, etc., but I might just have to tag along on this little adventure. I gotta get my toes into Baja soon, or I fear I might explode :evil

This might be the perfect opportunity for me to do a little light day-riding while you're out getting towed around the ocean.

What do you plan on for the launching point Friday, and what time? I'll be coming from Santa Monica, so it will take a while just to make the border.
  6. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Will probably stay one more night in Pacific Terrace Hotel (610 Diamond Street, San Diego) after my two days of meetings. I'm planning on leaving from the hotel NLT 0900 on Friday morning, and it's only about 25 miles from there to the border.

Would be good to get insurance online first, I'll probably use the same one I used last time I went:Friday morning the 28th, we can all gas up in San Diego and head down there. No need to gas up right at the border for this trip, as we can fill up in Ensenada before we head down to the Cabras region. No worries. :D

Would be glad to have you along. Tell your friends. Come on in - the Baja's sublime. :grinner

-M
  7. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm hovering just above the glass on my scanner - scary what red wine will do to ya! :loaded

8. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Okay, here's a put-up-or-shut-up notice to the following individuals who were bummed they couldn't make the Baja-Lite trip, with quotes of dismay on why they couldn't go on Baja-Lite - 'natchurally... :freaky

I fully realize that some of you may already have commitments based on your posts above (and even one kidney stone - sheesh!) but perhaps with a minor tweak, we can get you down to Baja Norte for a little funsies.

Okay, listen up. Each an' ev'ry one o' yas above are gonna get a PM from me telling you to come to this posting if you haven't already seen it. :devildog

Get used to redundancy!

-M
  9. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    All you guys with less than expert level dirt experience, like I had going
    into the last trip (you know who you are) should defiintely take this trip.
    You will definitely learn how your bikes (and You) perform. It's a great
    short trip, don't miss it. The guys going will be able to help you out
    no matter what happens (unless you like to cry alot). Just bring along
    the important shit. I would say what's important but I brought along
    patches and all sorts of shit to repair tires etc, and no one got a flat.
    Now that I've said that, everyone will get a flat.

Seriously, there's only a little bit of nasties and it's more than manageable.
    And you are going to be riding with some really nice guys. THAT I can
    guarantee.

DO IT. M. sets up a pretty nice trip. Just don't raze him on how slow
    he sets up. He's aware of it and I have been notified that he is now in
    a three-step-program, which lasts 4 years, to get him up to regular rider
    speed.

(oh and another note, between you and me, he likes dirty pussy, I ain't
    lying) watch yerself.

[​IMG]
  10. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    This coming from a guy who's recovering from a tranny addiction? :lol3

Yup, come one, come all - but do come. It'll be a blast.

-M
  11. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me see what I can do, I'm getting warped the weekend before so it may be tight, I'll need to make a rack for my tablas de surfing, but that's doable, just got back from 3 days in Mammouth so the family is taken care of, I think I can make it.I'll probable come down thur. and either stay with my daughter in PB or with another friend in Point Loma.I snore so would need a private room at cals, if the rack doesn't materialize can I borrow your long board?I'll supply surf report from Surfline.
  12. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. I'll be driving my truck and towing my bike. I will bring some fire wood. The water down there will be in the mid 50's. Getting ready to go surf right now.

steve
  13. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will bring my attack dog:huh ; I will probably bring my 12y/o son.

I also will bring a coleman stove, pots and pans to share.

I could throw in some extra water too.

steve
  14. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you going to camp?If so I will too, if I can't get a rack built for my board I could truck my bike to SD and bring my board, do you have room for another board? I havn't surfed that area since the early 70's should be fun.
  15. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am definitely camping. Yes, I will have plenty of room for an extra board or food.. I want to leave early Friday morning from San Diego. My only thing is that i want to leave early and not wait around for someone to drop off a package. :norton No offence intended. :1drink Steve
  16. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a sweet Death Valley area trip a half and hour ago. Pretty tired - 1040 miles in 3-days. Sound familiar? Did mostly street riding, only about 100-miles of dirt, but had fun. Got into snow again in Death Valley up near Telescope Peak. I seem to always find snow on my rides...!

I'll post a ride report soon. Gotta process the pix tomorrow. Whew, I'm beat.

Talk to you guys more about Cabras soon. Should see if we can get out of San Diego early like DirtDiver suggests.

-M
  17. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    We ought to see that post in say, what, a week? Do need more time than
    that? I can wait. :huh
  18. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Dude, your hurting my delicate sensibilities with such meany-talk. :cry

Where's my hanky, I'm going to have a pout! Mom, Walter's being mean to me!

Yeah, I know I'm slow, but the ladies (sorry, Honey) lady likes it that way.

-m
  19. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    For those of you who've been lurking, maybe wanting to go on the trip, but thinking it's going to be just a bunch of no-good surf bums and no riding, think again...

[​IMG]

Punta Cabras Dirt Roads (photo - mishuna.image.pbase.com)

There are a bunch of side roads and a lot of possibilities in the area. I'll try and post a good topo map of the area from my Baja Almanac tonight so yous can sees fer yahselves...

-M
  20. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    Hey Marbleless, I'm 80% sure at this point! :lol3 Keep trying to talk me out of it though ...you might be able to bump that to 100% :thumb