1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Marbleless' Excellent Baja Adventure: Punta Cabras

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Marbleless, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dyvking

dyvking ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer:
    Here ya go 'Vato..
    All you need to know, and more. Linky. If you have more questions.. just ask!
    :1drink
  2. dyvking

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, there's a good strip at Bahia Tortugas :D
  3. Marbleless

Marbleless Intelligentsia Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Well, we could do July, although it is going to be hot to get through the Catavina section. If everyone thinks that 95-100 degrees in that section is too much, we could save it for the fall.

Otherwise, I gots another idea, and this one's waaay bitchin' nearer to the cooler Pacific coast, much closer, too:

Punta Baja, Las Pintas, Punta San Carlos, y Environs

[​IMG]

El Rosario (Mama Espinosa's Baja 1000 Restaurant) and Punta Baja

[​IMG]

Las Pintas

[​IMG]

Punta San Carlos

Ahh, Punta Baja, I camped and surfed there back in '02 last. A great bunch of surf spots in a south facing cove. Windy, but offshores there. Good camping, lots of doable wash crossings, and much dirt for the big pigs.

Las Pintas, an rocky archaeological area with pictographs and a spring.

Punta San Carlos, a great surf and windsurf/kiteboarding spot with a great graded dirt road in there.

Tons of dirt riding around there, and just at the edge of where the "Real" Baja begins.

Yes, this is the place for the next Baja-Lite Trip. I will write it up soon. Howz about sometime in early July? Say about 5-days? One day to get from the L.A. area to San Quintin, stay in the Old Mill Hotel. Then 2-1/2 days to explore the area down there. Last night back in the Old Mill, then a day back up to the So-Cal Megalopolis?

Who's game? Let me know your dates. I'll set it up over a weekend so we get at least two days free from the Man for the trip.

This is gonna be good...

-M
  4. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    I'm in and dates are flexible as long as I have advance notice.
  5. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Todd ya gotta be carefull around El Rosario, some bad guys live there. Two fishermen were clubbed to death in their sleeping bags on a beach just north of there. Also I know of a wheelchair bound guy that stopped on the long decent out of the desert, going into El Rosarioto take a piss. Some locals stole his van and his wheelchair leaving him stranded. We stopped a few years back,( on our way to Bay of LA with my boat), for lunch at moma's and got a serious stink eye from some locals. Lets go.
  6. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this are the days I have off in the next month (June 16th til June 31st) and I have another option which I have not used of (7 days), however I would have to work something with my boss to use it in month of July or re-arrange the schedule...
    what day were you considering in doing this trip? and
    In regards to weather I would personally wait til the fall for venturing further inside Baja. I did it a few years in the peak of summer at 115 here in the US and I can tolerate it , But prefer to stay below 100!
  7. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Hey, man. Let's not have more of this "Baja Norte Travel Warning"-ish stuff. We don't wanna scare the horses, eh?

-M
  8. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    M-

I agree that an amorphous "Avoid Baja Norte" warning is totally bogus, particularly when issued with obvious "let's get the Tourons down to Cabo Wabo and fleece them for all we can" motivations. But Gregg seems to be reporting some specific instances of criminal and anti-Gringo activity in a very specific area. If I were planning a trip to a bad area in LA or Sandy Eggo, I would only hope that someone with experience would give me a heads-up. Then I could do further research, and determine if the "threat level" was justified.

Forewarned is forearmed.

SIM
  9. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are exactly right Jim, ignorance is not always bliss.I get a monthly Baja news letter, in which the members keep each other informed on the local conditions, most of the gas station rip offs also occur in the El Rossario area.Baja has changed in the last 40 years and ya need to know whats up.
  10. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    A couple of reports of bad stuff does not a trip killer make. Watch yer back like normal and get some current, local knowledge. But - do go.

Guess we better have enough hombres on our next trip to kick some ass back at any hooligans that try an' take us on.

Me, I'm still up for going to that area. It is not to be missed.

Peace.

-M
  11. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what sort of strip are you talking about......landing strip.....
  12. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, I will ask a few friends across the border about what is going on down there.... Next week I will stop at a mexican news stand in east LA and pick up a copy of the ever famous mexican magazine ALARMA and see what is says...

But I am in.....
  13. dyvking

Oddometer:
    Pilot talk. Landing strip.
  14. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    Whoohoo. Now I can take my new plane down there and meet you!

[​IMG]
  15. posole vato

posole vato Vato Loco

Oddometer:
    La alarma..... that rag is a big joke! every mexican in the barrio, including me, know that paper is a bunch of bullshit!!!!! that is the same magazine that reported a blood sucking beast known as the "CHUPAcabras" was responsible for sucking the blood of mexico's live stock....btw..according to la alarma....they reported that CHUPA also made it here to the hood, i mean east los angeles, but if you ask me, i never saw him and i've been living here in this tight knit community for fourty years

as we say down here in this part of los angeles...."La Alarma es Pura CHISME!"
  16. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    Nice!!! Is that an L39 trainer?

...you need to paint it Orange so it will be fast enough to keep up with the Katoom! :D
  17. dyvking

Oddometer:
    Holy Albatross, Batman! Great lookin' bird. Now, if you can just uncover a gold mine somewhere so that you can afford to fly 'er! :evil
  18. Marbleless

Oddometer:
    Hey Vato, I think I know where your Chupacabras may have emigrated from. We saw this sign just north of the surf beach north of Punta Cabras. A fitting place for the beast to be from...

[​IMG]

Beware Chupacabras... But Only If You're a Cabra (photo - ZenMoto)

See you on the next ride?...

-M
  19. dyvking

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, Cabras can't afford Beemers. :D

Too nice a morning. This is the first non-fog day I've had in a while. I'm heading out here:
    [​IMG]

Everyone be nice to a mutha today.
  20. hludwit

hludwit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am glad you know what I am talking about...
    and we all know (at least those who have read it) It is like the N.I here in the states.....

You have to see it to believe it, You Have to go thru it... to talk about it!

That is how I feel about the stories and rumours ( kidnapping,UFO's and thinks like that)