March Baja Trip Ensenada, Mikes, San Felipe, San Quintin, Ensenada

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Jeffh555, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Jeffh555

Jeffh555 F'n n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip to Baja in late March.

Last March I went from Ensenada to San Quintin, stayed at the Old Mill, and went back to Ensenada on the same course.

This year we're stepping it up a bit. here's the basic plan...

The dates are March 25th through 30th.

Saturday -
    Drive to Southern California

Sunday -
    SoCal to Ensenada through Tijuana border crossing, toll road.

Super Burro for lunch.

Unload rigs at Estero Beach, drive rigs into Ensenada, buy some $5 sunglasses, get dinner at Papas & Beer.

Have a couple beers in the hot tub/pool. Stay they night at Estero Beach.

Monday -
    Estero Beach to Mike's Sky Ranch, through Ojos Negros.
    This is the first 140 mi of the 2007 Baja 1000 course, about 30 mi of this will be on the highway. We will also climb about 4000 feet in elevation.
    It will be a long day and we need to hit the trail early.
    Stay the night at Mike's Sky Ranch.

Tuesday -
    Mike's Sky Ranch to San Felipe.
    50 miles as the crow flies, route is to be determined.
    Hotel/Resort to be determined.

Wednesday -
    San Felipe to San Quintin.
    70 miles as the crow flies, over a 4000 ft mountain range, route to be determined.
    Spend the night at the Old Mill hotel.

Thursday -
    San Quintin to Quatros Casas.
    ~60 miles, same route we took last year, but only the first half.
    We can move at a relaxed pace, get stuck on a beach, do some rockcrawling, film a little, surf, or whatever we want.
    Spend the night at Quatros Casas.

Friday -
    Quatros Casas to Estero Beach.
    Again about 60 miles, also same route we took last year.
    Another day with a relaxed pace on so we can play around a bit.
    Eat Super Burro.
    Get into Estero Beach with enough time to do some hot laps on the race course, before relaxing by the pool.

Saturday -
    Cross border to California, or stay an extra night...

The main question I have is... What route should we take from San Felipe to San Quintin?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated...

Jeff
  2. cfbadger

cfbadger Big Chief

Oddometer:
    Got any idea what this will cost? You plan on trailering down- where will rigs be left? sounds good so far.
  3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Eagle1

Oddometer:
    :1drink Made two trips to Baja in 2007. One trip in Feb one in the end of Nov. Rode Honda XR650s and stayed in motels, rode desert all day , ate 3 great meals a day, gas for the bike, a couple of beers every day, cost me around $60 a day. Budget that and you'll be real close to what your daily expenses will be other than stuff on top of this. Wish I was there now!:wink:
  4. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why enter Mexico and return to US at Teajuana? Takes forever.

You might think about rearranging your trip and enter via Calexico and taking it from there.
  5. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is the fastest point to cross into Mexico? And back? Thinking Gulf side. Do the Gulf coast, return on Pacific coast. Thanks
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:

Crossing into Mexico from anywhere in the US is fast, its coming back that takes some time. Tecate is the quickest crossing sometimes taking only 10 minutes, Mexicali can be quick but only because they have a moto lane. TJ takes over a hour+ no matter how you cut it.

I would skip TJ all together. Cross into Mex at Tecate, park at Santa Veronica or Rancho Ojai (Tecate KOA). Both places have safe parking for 5 bucks a day and are located east of Tecate near El Hongo. Head down the dirt to Ojos then slab it over to Ensenada if thats where you really want to go. I would skip Ensenada all together and go to Santa Veronica to laguna Hanson stay at Rodeo del Rey. (Veronica to Mikes can be done in a day easily, 165 miles dirt, just get an early start.) Hanson to Mikes the next day. then go from Mikes over to the west coast and hit the beach to San Quintin.

Getting from San Quintin to San Felipe?????? Look at a map, you'll see the problem. I'm not saying that there isnt a way though, there is, it goes from Quintin straight across to Puertecitos. Its long (extra gas needed) its technical, its relentless never ending bushwhack rocky single track much of the way and route finding is nebulous at best. If you are slow and dont know exactly where you are going, it will probably require a night out in the bush with no gear as night riding it is out of the question. Besides that, once you do that ride, you will want to rest for about 3 days.

Give your time constraint, the best ways to do it is to go back forn San Quintin the way you came from Mike's, to San Matias, then Diablo dry lake, zoo road, SF. Or if you want something more adventurous and technical, go down to El Rosario then take the Nichols Trail over to Catavina, then to Cocos, Gonzaga, Puertecitos, San Felipe. The Nichols trail is an awesome tech ride in the MOFN, extra gas required and take about 10 hours to get the 130 miles from El Rosario to Catavina, and thats if everything goes well.

Once you get to San Felipe, leave San Felipe via zoo road to Diablo dry lake, up to Trinidad, over to Ojos on slab, then up the fast dirt from Ojos right into Santa Veronica or Rancho Ojai. That would avoid the whole Mexicali mess and laguna salada dry lake (between SanFelipe and Mexicali) is nothing special.
  7. Jeffh555

Jeffh555 F'n n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the usefully info.

We are coming from San Luis Obispo, where I go to college, through LA to meet up with some people, and as shitty as TJ is, it still seems like the logical way to go.

We want to start and end the trip in Ensenada because we really like Estero Beach and feel comfortable leaving our tow rigs there.

at this point, we are leaning toward Ensenada->Mikes->San Felipe, then to get from SF to San Quintin double back up Zoo road to El Diablo lake bed have lunch at Mikes, then make it down to San Quintin.

As for how much it's gonna cost... $100 a day or so, including fuel... at least that's what it cost last year.

Any hotel recomendations for Hotels in San Felipe? We are a handful of college kids, so it would be nice to be kinda close to the nightlife.

Jeff
  8. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'd say 100 bucks a day tops, all depends on how much beer you drink. Mikes is 60 per person with dinner and breakfast included. There are many places to chose from in SF, just cruise around near the beach and you will find plenty of good places to stay.

San Quintin has severl good places, but I like to stay at Don Eddies landing on the back bay as its out of town and the chow is decent.

Also, Santa Veronica and Rancho Ojai are fine for leaving your rigs if you want to start/end from there on a future ride. I've parked mine in both places numerous times.

Also, if you dont want to wait in the long lines through TJ coming home, simply head north out of Ensenada to El Sauzal and pick up Mex 3 to Tecate and cross there. Its a little more driving, but its a nice drive through the wine country and will probably save you a little time as the crossing usually takes less than 10 minutes as opposed to over an hour+ at TJ.
  9. perkgana

perkgana az-peru

Oddometer:
    Hi Im leaving around march 20 south to mexico but im riding from arizona to mazatlan (and other places) and then crossing to La Paz and riding up thru baja. If you want to meet or change a little your course and join us/me let me know. I'll do the baja part solo, my friends will continue going south

Send me an email if interested.

perkgana@hotmail.com