Marlborough Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Kokopelli, Apr 26, 2014.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Won't work. That's uphill.

How about we ask all the campervans in the SI to carry a bucket of water up north and empty it as they pass?

You heard it here first.....
    bikemoto, dazzadm and KiwiPewe like this.
  2. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done, this kind of thinking made the British Empire what it is today!

:hide

:D
    glitch_oz and MrKiwi like this.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Romans probably taught them that...:pierce
    Watercat, MrKiwi and KiwiPewe like this.
  4. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    my front lawn is dirt. Saves mowing....
  5. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like more riding time to me...
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  6. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    :ricky, indeed... New bike needs a bit more running in :nod
    dazzadm likes this.
  7. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    my front lawn is now stacked neatly in the hay shed :D
  8. KiwiPewe

Oddometer:
    Trail ride in April for those interested:
    [​IMG]
    innathyzit likes this.
  9. KiwiPewe

Oddometer:
    Charity event tomorrow at the Riverlands truck stop tomorrow:
    Polish_20201003_104757353.jpg
    Mike had the Beatnik business on main street here in Blenheim.
    Not only did Covid put an end to his business model, but also got cancer in a particularly bad way.
    One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet, doesn't deserve this shit.
    So if you're able to come along, look at heaps of bikes and talk shit with other riders and maybe make a donation to a good cause, do it.
    Pic above stolen from the book of faces, search cruise for Mike if you want actually correct information in this.
    See you there! :thumb
  10. KiwiPewe

Oddometer:
    Avid followers of this forum have probably already suffered through my on-the -fly ramblings here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/summer-ride-planning-need-some-help.1474185/

But I shall try and put it in a slightly more coherent form here, as to not thread-jack more of @enduro0627 creation.

So, the question was raised whether it was doable to visit Titirangi bay and Port Ligar in one day. Good question, that, why not find out!
    From my base in Blenheim it's a grand total of 465kms, how hard could it be?
    Screenshot_20201212193749.png

Google estimates 11 hours , 39 minutes but that's for a car and we all know how bikes are so much superior. Leave early, back for afternoon tea, piece of piss!

So I decided Sunday the 13th was going to be the day I knock the bastard off. Prep the bike the day before, kit ready for an early start, bloody good!
    So Sunday starts with ideal weather, not too hot, not too cold, no rain, but slightly overcast. At precisely 8:16 me and Big Katie set off!
    IMG_20201213_081610_5.jpg

A quick fuel stop in Spring Creek, and of to Picton, into the familiar twisties of the Queen Charlotte Drive to make a drop off at the bosses farm in Linkwater.
    IMG_20201213_091729_6.jpg

Now that the formalities are out of the way, we can hit the Keneperu Road proper. After passing some properly scary and unmarked potholes early in the piece (And making a mental note where they where for the way back) I settle in a nice rhythm through the tarmac section.
    Quick stop for a picture:
    IMG_20201213_095059_9.jpg

At Keneperu head the road turns into gravel, which I actually preferred at that stage. Traffic is light and before long I hit the crest overlooking Titirangi bay where I meet a nice chap volunteering to take a photo for (with) me:
    IMG_20201213_104320_4.jpg

Down to the beach, where there's actually some light rain keeping the dust down, sweet! Evidential pictures:
    IMG_20201213_105658_1.jpg IMG_20201213_110003_PANO.jpg

Head back, don't forget the potholes, turn right in Linkwater, and after just two hours I'm in Havelock enjoying a scone and a cuppa, while Katie has the company of some shinier bikes.
    IMG_20201213_125238_8.jpg

After refueling the rider, Katie gets a top-up of some freshly pressed dinosaurs, that's when I notice an oily drip at the RH front:
    IMG_20201213_184134_0.jpg

After checking the oil level, much prodding, looking, humming and hah-ing I decided that that is the mess I made when I topped up the oil the night before and it finally made its way to the bottom of the labyrinth that is the Big Katooms engine bay.

Joining three quick road bikes I quickly get to the French pass turn off, re-check the oil situation, all seems to be well, press on!

The road is actually in quite good nick, so we're making good progress, just one quick photo stop (and check the oil again....)
    IMG_20201213_144303_9.jpg

About halfway between Elaine bay and Cissy bay, the turn off to Port Ligar, the road turns to gravel. The Port Ligar road gets progressively worse as you go, and after a few k's in the day is starting to catch up with me and I need to stop for a rest. Finding this nice launching spot I park myself on this tyred (:drums) old pier and just enjoy the scenery.
    IMG_20201213_152623_4.jpg IMG_20201213_152827_1.jpg

Back in the saddle and press on until the view demands another piccy stop:
    IMG_20201213_160104_4.jpg

Shortly after that I get to the sign:
    IMG_20201213_160856_5.jpg
    IMG_20201213_160917_PANO.jpg

A friendly beekeeper coming past with a truck and trailer kindly waited for me to take off ahead of him so I set off back to the Cissy bay turn off, only encountering one local who considered this a one way road. You would think a fatality on this road just the day before would make people a little more cautious, but no....
    Article: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/30...tances-in-marlborough-sounds-death-police-say

At the fork I decided to visit French Pass, being 'only' ten klicks away, would be rude not to. Good decision, the views where absolutely stunning
    IMG_20201213_170135_PANO.jpg IMG_20201213_171146_PANO.jpg IMG_20201213_171236_9.jpg

After a well needed rest I made started my track back to civilization, which went actually quite quick, probably helped by the fact that the road got better and better as I went. After only an hour and a half I was back in Rai Valley where it was time for another rest.
    IMG_20201213_184155_1.jpg

Only that the time I thought I had I didn't really have. A couple of passing riders from Nelson reminded me of the impending night closure of the Pelorus bridge which would leave me stranded on the wrong side. So with only about 10 minutes to go, grab yer gear and get the hell out of Dodge.
    Or Rai.

I made across, with about 4 minutes to spare by my clock, while the workers had their obligatory OSH meeting, brilliant! Saved by the health and safety clowns, who'd have thunk it!

Back home at 19:38 after 11 and a half hours and 9 and a half hours riding time:
    IMG_20201213_193848_0.jpg Screenshot_20201216092912.png

In conclusion, @enduro0627 : Yes it's do-able, but probably not quite as enjoyable as a two day ride. I was a tad knackered after that one....

Attached Files:

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    What, you didn't drop into Bulwer?
  12. KiwiPewe

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that, so not that time:
    IMG_20190804_122010.jpg
    glitch_oz, Watercat, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  13. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, thanks for the ride report. So pretty much as the G**gle estimate. They are getting rather good with this computing stuff lately. I have the same experience on my rides.

As our holiday, we are going only for French Pass to keep it a holiday instead of a cross country rally race.
    oldbeer and KiwiPewe like this.
  14. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recce!!
    MrKiwi and KiwiPewe like this.
  15. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I know how @KiwiPewe rides, so two days for us mere mortals...
    KiwiPewe and enduro0627 like this.
  16. KiwiPewe

Oddometer:
    Why, I'm a saint I have you know! :lobby
    :lol3
    MrKiwi likes this.
  17. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    Should have dropped in for a cuppa! Our boat is normally moored by that ' tyre'd old pier' and that fatality was on the road through our property, too many of them unfortunately.
  18. KiwiPewe

Oddometer:
    If I'd known you were there I would have.
    Those tyre marks where she locked up the rears with the cops spray paint marks was a timely reminder to take it easy.....
    MrKiwi and Underground like this.
  19. Adventure Moto

Adventure Moto Formerly Known as MOTOXNUT

Oddometer:
    Question for the locals.
    On the way back from the Dusty Butt I will be doing the Molesworth and Mt Patriarch and end up in Havelock for the night.:muutt

My GPS ( Basecamp ) shows a Loop off the southern end of Northbank Rd, starting on Fabians valley Rd then Bartlett's Rd which becomes Kiwi Rd and then Onamalutu Rd and back onto Northbank road.
    My question is do these roads all loop up to create a through road.
    Google maps does not show them and I think that I tried to do this loop about 10 years ago and found locked gates & forestry Rds.:(
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a local...but tried that from the other side (Onamalutu Rd) in Nov. 2016 and finished up at a locked gate where the plantation pines started.