Marlborough Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Kokopelli, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yep thats me, I've always told him to get something smaller that can handle a drop instead of the red speed demon, no denying it is fun in small doses though.

Feel free to come along on saturday if it suits, we get along at a reasonable pace with plenty of breaks for photos.
    The trips so far have been 10am till around 3 or 4pm.

And if you know of some other good rides, let us know :D

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Bucky78

Bucky78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi kiwibul, Welcome I have been having a blast doing this ADV thing and all the crew I have met on this forum have been great.I'm on call this week (so can't do a ride this weekend),but I fired up the KTM today and went for a trail ride down port underwood area with a guy from work. Awesome weather and a few new Hill climbs from hell found :evil.

Attached Files:

3. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Probably the wrong day of the week but I think I am going to blow some cobwebs out with a blat as far as 'The Store' or Kaikoura this evening.

Not much of an adventure but just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone was keen =)
  4. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    Nice one Bucky. Hill climbs from hell? Keen!
  5. Bucky78

Bucky78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking down one of the hill climbs we did(from the top).This one goes all the way to the bottom of the bay. we are replacing power poles on this line and they have cleaned up the track a bit.you need a good run up at the bottom as the first 200m is really steep with a slight curve in it(we are having trouble getting our 4x4 honda rhino style bikes from work up it ). more than happy to show you it, next time i'm down your way.

Attached Files:

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Not good for my R80, even worse for the rider. You get to go to neat places.
  7. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    meow
  8. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'd have the skill to nail that easily, but I'm dumb enough to try haha.
  9. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hmmm Bucky, definitely a cool spot but I reckon my tires might be a little worn to attempt that at the moment. :lol3
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Ahh yes. The drop off straight down to Opua Bay.

Have you or can you get us access right to either ends? If so there would be a choccy fish in it for ya.
    Which is the bay with the big new house & golf course - Oyster Bay? I'm scouring the topo maps trying to find the bit where the northern ridge road drops down a bit too steeply for me on a solo ride to chance. I know it was along from the private road down to his place.

So all of a sudden Bloody Blenheim of all places becomes the mecca of adv riding - I never thought I'd see the day:lol3
  11. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Hahaha I know aye, I was that used to riding on my own all the time and now there's a good bunch over here and it's growing all the time! :lol3
  12. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    So, weather is looking average tomorrow with morning rain and high winds but I'm still keen for a ride.

Anyone else keen to still do Port Underwood?
    How about a meet at the Picton Shell at 10am and we'll do the ridge track down to Whanagakoko Bay and head around to Tumbledown Bay.
    Then backtrack out to Oyster Bay and follow the coast back around Rarangi and Blenheim.

How about it lads?
  13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Depends how I feel tomorrow morning. I am pretty tired at the moment. Otherwise I am keen.
  14. Bucky78

Bucky78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all sorry for the late reply (have been flat out with work), I will see what I can do about access to that area Padmei and set up a ride .have fun on the ride tomorrow guys .
  15. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Well Koko wasn't feeling up to it, Bucky's working, Taz is in Aus and so I went down the Shell just in case anyone did show up.

Nope so I fuelled up and went anyway, just cutting out the bit from Oyster Bay to Blenheim, instead returning straight home.
    It was average weather, not much wind and rain really but enough to soak me.
    However it sure was fun on those muddy roads, there were some looooooong rear end slides :evil

Also I went for a drive up the Leatham Valley on Thursday as a mate was over from Aussie for a few days.
    Well the hunting was shit with nothing at all seen, not even a hare:
    [​IMG]

The rivers were at a medium flow however they were still at least 33" deep, maybe a little too deep for the bikes at the moment as that's higher than the seat on the XT225 :huh:lol3
    (And this wasn't the deepest crossing)[​IMG]
  16. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    That Leatham looks like bloody good country. I must get in there for a looksie.

Glad you got a snorkel on the lux, a builder mate drove his one into a river a bit tooo deep & bent a conrod. Aparently the Hilux' have quite a low air intake. Funnily enough a couple of months later I was at a customers who had a bent conrod on his mantle piece - same thing had happened, except his was off a brand new DOC truck on its maiden voyage:D
  17. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yea mate, it's a rugged country up in there.
    The first hut (Caves Hut) is easy to get to with a standard 4x4 with street oriented tires as you don't cross the main river at all, I went up to there first years ago with the family for a few days.
    The first Leatham River crossing is only a short distance before the 2nd hut (Barber Hut) but this first crossing, while not the deepest it is the roughest by far with some sizeable boulders.

The snorkel was the first thing that went on the truck when I got it, cheap insurance for under $300 as the original intake is behind the left headlight. :huh
    Then I lifted it 2 1/2" and went up a few inches in tire size, it now stands about 5" taller than standard and goes like a champ.

Last time I was coming out of the Leatham, river levels had risen and the top crossing was up onto the bonnet.
    I wasn't keen to do it again for a photo as the current was fast and I almost needed to stop and wash my undies :lol3
  18. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Back when I used to get my hands dirty, Hilux motors with bent conrods was commonplace. Best i saw was three bent. Funniest was a guy who drove through a creek and hydrauliced his motor, bending 2 rods. After I rebuilt it he took it for its first drive through the same creek and done it again. Cha ching.
  19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:

I am keen to come along next time you go in there. I am happy to drive, but not going through any deep rivers in my city hilux. I haven been shooting any furry animals in a long time and I need an excuse to buy a small freezer.

Having said that, once the river levels drop, is it possible to ride up there with a water-shy boxer?
  20. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Maybe in a few weeks we could do a weekend 4x4 trip up there for a day or overnight when the water levels are down as a recon trip for the bikes?
    http://hydro.marlborough.govt.nz/reports/riverreport.htm
    Checking that out it appears it was at a peak when we were up there and it has dropped 300mm since then.

Apart from the 3 river crossings the track is comparable to the smooth hard pack quality of Mt Patriarch.

I haven't been out to the Boulder Hut which is one of the side valleys, that looks like another good drive/ride without the main river crossings.