Marlborough Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Kokopelli, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Now cut that out. I bought the Bighorn for work only - I don't need you guys tempting me to take it offroad & break something.
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, adventure driving works for me as well, especially in winter.
  3. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    sweet, i could bring the wives vitara up, she keeps telling me it needs a good wash:rofl
    i'm heading down to Reefton on friday, doing the ghost road on the mountainbike on saturday and taking the dr up big river on sunday with my sons on their ktm's if anyone is down that way let me know, the more the merrier.
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Let us know what Ghost road is like. I think it's faired the storms pretty well. I want to get a bike rack fitted to the moto & ride down to do it.
  5. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    will do. last report was lyell end up to the ghost lake hut has now been cleared, forecast looks shit for the weekend,:cry it is winter after all...
  6. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Soo did you get down there? I have been reading a writeup in Spoke mag & the pics look fantastic.
  7. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    Bugger! no, took the drz up big river with my grandson on the back on saturday, and was going up ghost road today but the whole area was in fog and low cloud so decided to stop at teetotal flats on the way for a ride, got there and at 11.30 it was still 3 deg and white,:vardy so with the heater working well in the van i just carried on passed, so unable to help on the track condition, but the ride up big river was great.
  8. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. Worked out how to attach the mtb rack to the back of the moto Will wait till spring to get down there tho. Queen charlotte may be a earlier ride.
  9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Being new here, I have no idea where these places are. Could you give me a rough location?

I've been busy working, and working on the house the last couple of days. Maybe next weekend I'll have time for a bit more riding.
  10. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    Big River is at the back of Reefton, 9k to the start of the trail and appox 16k up to big river, suitable for both adv bikes and mtb. Ghost road is about half way through the upper buller road by the Lyell camp ground mt bikes only, and the teetotal flats are just west of St Arnaud up by the Nelson Lakes, mt bikes only.
  11. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    I'm currently up nelson lakes with some friends, we mountain biked the trails around teetotal road yesterday, about 26kms for the day.
    The higher more advanced tracks are extremely slippery and covered in lots of windfall currently.

So far over 60 for the weekend which included some roads.

I'll post up some pics and video when I get home, tonight has been full of beers and music :D

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:

Thanks. I like the place names ☺
  13. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

Big River is a bloody good ride. Do-able their and back from Beavertown in a day.
  14. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    So who's still keen for a Leatham trip?
    Theres another young lad in Blenheim who I have invited here, he's on a DR350 and we've set a tentative date of 21st-22nd depending on the weather and river levels. :deal

I'll be on my bike and have offered my truck to Taz if his bike isn't going by then.
    Otherwise, my truck will be available to someone who doesn't want to take their shiney wagon up there. :lol3
  15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I am keen. Not sure about the river levels. I am guessing there could be flooding by Thursday.
  16. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Yea, it's risen almost 200mm in the last few hours, up to just under a meter deep at the moment and bound to be rising.
    21-22nd is the weekend after this one.
    Extended forecast is showing a possibility of rain next week too.

I'll keep an eye on the river and forecast and if it's looking good, I'm in with a grin.

The WOF tester suggested I put some new tires on before my next ride beyond work, guess I'm going tire shopping this week.
  17. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    you looking at day trip or an over night at the hut?
    where do you go for your tyres?
  18. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Gidday mate, hope Tonz party didn't disturb you too much on Friday night, me and Taz stuck around till about 11 and left before things got messy :lol3

I'm keen to do just a day trip at the mo but if there's enough takers I'm sure we can find a hut with some space.
    It's an easy day trip in and out, a bit over an hour from Blen up to the Leatham Valley conservation area boundary, 24km of twin track and fords to the Bottom Gordon Hut which is the end of the road, then back out.

I deal with Julian at Picton Tools and Tires for the most part, he always gives me a real good price on Pirelli MT21's.
  19. kiwibul

kiwibul Staffy

Oddometer:
    shit, you could have passed a beer over the gate i was a bit dry:freaky. i have a customer with a large forestry block up the Leatham we could do a wee detour around the tracks.:evil have you tired Andrew at ITS tryes on Main St. he has been a adv rider for years and can do some good deals.
    if this rain keeps up i think water wings mite be in order:rofl
  20. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    I'd be keen to overnight depending on the forecast.

Awww what'd we miss? haha

Undies togs territory at the moment for sure!
    Just about had to swim to work this morning then Lyn here tells me her nephew pulled some kid out of the river in Blenheim. That'll have the news in Marlborough covered for the month haha.

Hey man, that sounds good. Have you had a nose up there before?

I think it might be upgraded from waterwings to life jacket status this week haha. Usually disappears pretty quick though.