Martime tour, what to see?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOXER1, Jul 26, 2004.

1. BOXER1

BOXER1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. I'm planning on taking a trip through Gaspe, New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia next week on my ZX-6R. I know this has nothing to do with dual sporting (still dreaming of an 640 Adventure), but I thought that some of you might have some ideas of places that I should visit.

My base camp will be a familly cottage an hour north of Qubec city. I plan on taking 4 or 5 days for the trip starting from there. I will be going to gaspe, then going through New Brunswik and PEI on my way to the Cabot Trail in Nova Scatia. Are there any nice roads/places that I should know about? I want to ride the bridge to pei but where should i go for a days ride on the island?

I will also be camping since I am on a budget. Thanks in advance :beer .
  2. DirtDOG

DirtDOG Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer:
    Go here for pics from the Gaspe' area. It is a great trip. Start at Riviere-du-Loup and ride the St Lawarence all the way to Forillon National Park, nice campground right on the cliff. There are some great interior roads through the Gaspesie Provincial Park but might not be acceptable for a sport bike. As you cross from the north side of Forillon to the Bay of Gaspe' side, take a left and ride all the way out to the Cape Lighthouse-short hike and fantastic view. The ride from Gaspe' to Perce' is one of the best I've been on don't miss the overlook just west of town gives a great view of Perce' Rock.

In NB, Kouchibouguac National Park is worth the stop and most everything else is nice between there and the bridge to PEI. PEI speaks for itself, just ride the whole thing and take the south ferry to Pictou, NB to get back to the mainland. There are tons of places to camp on PEI as well as the rest of the maritimes. Have a great trip.
  3. BOXER1

BOXER1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the great advice Dirtdog, you got me even more excited about taking this trip :D .
  4. geralds34

geralds34 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DirtDog - Where's the pics
  5. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the pics, here's the site, https://dirtdog.smugmug.com/gallery/9076

The pics suck as I had to scan them in and something happened to them when I moved them into another program. It will give you a general idea of the scenery.
    DD
  6. Shazam*

Shazam* Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. BOXER1

BOXER1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks :D
  8. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Boxer 1...... here's a suggestion from personal experience ( I just returned from Chibougamau and Natashquan) : Run the north shore road from Quebec city all the way east past Saguenay river at Tadoussac (nice 20 min ferry) , take the cheaper ferry at Escummins to Trois Pistoles on the south shore , then east to Matane ( 44 huge wind generating windmills 1oo ft high - ask the locals for the back road up the mtn to see them up close - all paved) , south thru the Matapedia valley ( very pretty valley ) to Campbellton. on to Shediac and PEI over the fixed link. The north shore PEI is best for beaches and views but all PEI is good. Then back to mainland on the ferry to Caribou NS near Pictou, then Cape George coast road near Antigonish. Cabot trail is all good but I prefer to run clockwise up the west coast, better scenery faster. Stay left for Chimney Corner/Whale cove coast road, better scenery. Always stay left on any road that is not a dead end when going up the west coast of CB. Check out Meat cove and all roads up there. Especially White Point near Neils Hbr. Unknown paradise there ( we shot a Barra McNeils video on the headland, that's how I found it). Park bike at wharf and walk (or ride) dirt road over hill to incredible grass headland 2 mins away. Only the locals know it's there.

have fun. email me anytime for questions. Tree pmtree@hotmail.com :thumb
  9. BOXER1

BOXER1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Tree. I'm leaving Toronto early tomorow morning and will try to see many of the spots you mentioned. But since I'm headed for the cottage on the south shore not far from Riviere-Du-Loup, visiting the north shore will be for the next trip :evil . I will be visting Matane for sure, and plane on doing a loop around PEI. But I'm glad you told me to go clockwise around the Cabot Trail. Many people advise to go counterclockwise for a better view, but I figured that there would be more traffic travelling in that direction. I will also visit Cape George now since you mentioned it.

But I'm pretty sure that most roads around those parts will put the best Southern Ontario roads to shame :ricky .

Stay tuned for the pics in about 2 weeks. (1 week travelling, 1 week relaxing at the cottage :D ).
  10. DirtDOG

Oddometer:
    Man, you've got to ride all the way out the south shore to Forillon Nat Park. Stunning scenery, as good or better than Cabot trail. If you want to see some really stunning stuff, get your bike to Newfoundland.
  11. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Man..... Newfoundland, I could write a whole page on that place.
    That's where we Nova Scotians go to get away from it all !
  12. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Don't know if you'll get that far south- but Bay of Fundy NP is a pretty impressive sight! The tides are just mind boggling. The other cool thing about the area are the hummingbirds- hundreds of them. There's a restaurant that overlooks the water- big white clapboard bldg right in town(sorry- it's been a while) and at every window they have a potted red flowering plant- you eat your dinner and watch the hummingbirds right next to you- it's cool!