Marzocchi Fork Maintenance De-Mystefied?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mayoisnasty

mayoisnasty trials wannabe

Oddometer:
    Apologies for the resurrection. :pope

A few questions for the experts here. I don't know why I have had so much trouble. I've done this job before, albeit on old dirt bikes and street bikes many years ago. Been off bikes for quite some time. Anyway, I began to replace seals and fluid on the left side (thought it would be a cinch) and found something unexpected right off. When I was separating the two halves to remove the seal, the lower bushing stayed in place leaving the top bushing, washer and seal in place. Is this a problem? I went ahead and reassembled as I figure parts for these are non-existant.

I filled the fork back up with oil with a 6" air gap as motobene described and reassembled it. I worked out all the air (I thought), but when I have the fork in my hand and invert it I can hear a gurgling sound from the oil running to the other end. Also if I bump the fork against the heel of my palm lightly, the spring clanks around inside. I disassembled, drained and filled the fork up again with the same result. What am I missing? If I'm struggling this much with the left fork, I am reluctant to tackle the right side.:baldy

edit: yes, the spacer is in there :lol3
  2. mayoisnasty

Oddometer:
    I am used to there being holes here to work out trapped air.
    20200524_155407.jpg
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have not mentioned what you are working on other than it`s a fork.
  4. mayoisnasty

Oddometer:
    It started out as a simple seal kit. Now I am trying to get oil back in it to a correct level, air removed and have the fork feel like it should. I have triple checked myself three times. At this point I am just going to take them both to a suspension shop.

Edit- marzocchi 40 mm. Left fork leg. Open cartridge. Seems all the past talk (including this thread) I can find is about the right side closed cartridge fork.