Mass shooting/killing in NS

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Maggot12, Apr 19, 2020.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Family members knew this guy and were taken to the police department for protection while this was unfolding. They have related stories of this guy having had some previous conflict with police. He beat his GF up the day of the spree, she's in hospital now. There will be no making sense of what crazy people do as much as political personalities feel it is their role to do so. Unfiltered and complete facts are what are required when this investigation is closed out so each of the people directly impacted can derive what peace they can from fact. Others peripherally impacted can then have informed feeling and opinion on the matter as well.
  3. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So sad for victims and their families.

If this guy had a history of violence against family and/or neighbours which it sounds like he did, the government should be held to account on whether he had a firearms license and if so why he still had it (and possession of firearms) after committing violence.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  4. Al in NB

Al in NB A Proud 99%er

Oddometer:
    There is a special place in Hell for people like him, to be so full of hate is unimaginable to me. Unfortunately this appears to be the way the world is turning now.
  5. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :cryThoughts and prayers sent for all.
    I feel like the east coast of Canada lost some of it’s innocence.
    So sad! So tragic!
  6. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    As of today, body count at 23... :(
  7. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Canada. Wasn't this close to the anniversaries of the OKC bombing, Columbine, and VA Tech tragedies? What do the nut jobs have against April?
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just heard that... only hope that's all.

Trying to understand this, it's unbelievable. Looks like after he killed his surrounding neighbours, the next victims were the couple in Wentworth. Seems to be around 8am then he drove back south. And a big time gap from his neighbourhood to them. He may have went there just for them, then killing others as he saw them.

Disturbing stuff.. and folks can't be around to console, or cry together, to help each other. Horrible is not a strong enough word.. So many families and friends destroyed forever.

9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just read that too. Waco as well. Getting more fucked up by the hour.

10. DyrWolf

DyrWolf Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the virus we had our first March without a school shooting in 18 years, Pretty F ed up .
  11. NovaTrophy

NovaTrophy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A coworker friend sent me a delivery for me birthday today. Laid them out on a blanket my wife got for Christmas.

B4DF5887-D354-4B4D-811A-E441EBE3E17D.jpeg
    Night_Wolf, AngusMcL, Holaday and 2 others like this.
  12. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    In response to people saying that if the police had put out an active shooter alert on cell phones (as they do for amber alerts) it would have possibly saved lives, the RCMP are saying that they were in the process of putting together that alert when the gunman was killed.

How convenient.

But also blatantly untrue. For one thing they already had the alert that they had put out on twitter, so there was no need to 'create' a second one. Secondly, it is my understanding that the situation played out over 12 hours or so - so even if they weren't trying to save face by lying and were indeed putting together an alert to be put out to cell phones, it took them +/- 12 hours to do so. Huh?

How much use is an alert that goes out on twitter? I've never been on twitter in my life and wouldn't know what it was if it bit me in the balls, but pretty much everyone (even my 93 yr old Dad) has a cell phone. They'd have been better off writing it on a bed sheet with a sharpie and towing it behind a Cessna. In the dark.

Hard to fathom such incompetence but sadly it isn't uncommon these days, in every walk of life.
  13. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    @squonker .... Try not to throw the knives too hard..... good men and women worked hard and fast in a situation that was evolving in a way never before thought of as a scenario... a Mass shooting plan/protocol would have been for a single location, in a population dense environment..... throwing out disgust at those people for 20/20 hind sight isn't fair. The RCMP don't control the cell alert system... EMO does, which is not staffed 24/7 , and has never been used or designed for this type of event..... Police Dispatch or 911 operators can't simply type something into a box and hit send and it goes out to every cell...the system isn't that fluid.

I suspect there will be many new protocols and investments in information technology, once the final report is complete and we will learn alot about things that are horrific and tragic, things that we probably don't need to know about an evil, deranged person.

Step back and be compassionate to those who were there in real time, trying to sort out a fast moving target travelling in a police car, the perfect camouflage, through multiple locations in a rural setting...It's too easy to get caught up in the media hype...they are selling ratings, not information. I have seen very little that is being reported that isn't an opinion, or supposition and not backed by fact. Overall very few FACTS have been released, and until all the evidence has been gathered, processed and determined to be factual, by the professionals who do that, I'm going to continue to ignore the SCUDS being thrown at the Police by the spin doctoring media, and give those front line folks the respect they deserve, until the real facts come out in the final report.

Hope spring is springing up there in the Arctic... It's a mighty beautiful place!
    drrod1, BritGuy, EmmEff and 8 others like this.
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Nobody is slamming the boots on the ground staff but I believe it is a fair criticism of the upper echelon of the RCMP. They were in a very stressful time and the situation was very fluid and they did not have it under control or contained. Twitter is not the right platform for informing a very rural area of the situation. Period. That is the sole criticism and it is a valid one.
    Know the people you serve.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It is a valid point, and an alert may have saved a couple folks, that otherwise woudn't have been on the streets, driving or walking.
    I'm not on any social media, but the alerts on my phone certainly work.

And looks like he had a hit list, which really is of no surprise to me, given the route he navigated through. And probably on his was to Dartmouth to take out some neighbours there.

Nathan Staples, who lives about 15 minutes from where the killing began Saturday night, said investigators told him Tuesday that his name was on a list they found at a property of the shooter.

He was reportedly seventh or eighth on that list
  16. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are factors here that the general public will never understand.

I can create a thought process by asking a couple do simple questions.

1.) How many Officers do you think are on duty in a rural Nova Scotia area at any given time? We’re not talking Traffic Services, but General Duty Officers?

2.) When the officers arrive and clear the scene and there are multiple victims, and EMS has arrived - what function do those limited officers serve?

3.) How many back roads, goat paths, highways and fields could the perp have navigated to avoid police?

4.) Those critics of not using the Alert System. If the Alert goes to EVERY phone in the province - they would have alerted the gunman at the same time and given him the opportunity to change tactics from hunting people on a list to full on pandemonium.

5.) If an alert had been sent - what would it have said in the moment. The perp was fast moving and the situation was evolving minute to minute. The alert, by the time it went out, would have been obsolete. Maybe Twitter wasn’t the right medium, but obviously people were doing their best to think on their feet.

6.) There is much talk about the “Brass” - I can pretty much guarantee that most of the “brass” works M-F, 0830-1630. They’re simply not available on the weekend. There would have been a lot of moving parts to figure out.
  17. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    Thanks @C-Stain .... I don't think most people understand just how rural of an area this occurred in, and how limited the resources are. I also believe that, as you stated, use of the alert system could have made the situation much worse. My experience in most of those areas where the people would have possibly benefited by a message wouldn't have gotten it anyways because cell coverage in most of those locations is far from reliable. These are just my opinions...... and we all know about opinions....
  18. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    My last full-time job in the US Army Reserve was 2014-2015, in California, as the NCOIC for Continuity of Operations (COOP) and Current Operations Support (COS), being the focal point for all bulletins, operations orders, and emergencies for a seven-state region from California to Louisiana. There was a storm that hit Louisiana, Texas, & Arkansas around 4 PM my time and 6 PM their time. I had to use the phone tree to get everyone involved and coordinate data regarding personnel, buildings, equipment, and resources. These people had all left their jobs and were home or en route to home, and it took hours to do this. This is in a densely populated areas with highways.

I can only imagine the total confusion when the RCMP didn't have coordination or enough boots on the ground to adequately understand the situation and respond appropriately. My deepest sympathies to all involved and my condolences to the families that lost loved ones.
  19. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    According to what I heard this morning; no legal permit to purchase firearms & nothing publicly about what specific guns were used as of 2:00 om AST
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    From the town where he started, to where he began the next morning, most of that area, is not even a single house per km. And being in a patrol car, was the perfect scenario for him. I believe the alert should of went off, but I won't throw stones.

Sounds like Constable Stevenson ran her patrol into his, while he was roadside killing another victim. That was the turning point, and the real tracking began. Where she lost her life and the killer lost his, is about 20kms.

I still don't understand what went on between 11ish in his town then to a town 45 minutes away at 830 the next morning. He could have drove to Yarmouth and back.