1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Matched ADV suits (top and bottom) VS Whatever else

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dinkydonuts, Jun 28, 2020.

1. dinkydonuts

dinkydonuts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect this is going to be a very superficial topic, but that's why I'm asking because maybe I'm not aware of certain things.

So when you buy riding gear, you can often buy a matched top and bottom set. For example I've been looking at the Alpinestars Andes V2 jacket and pants. Around $475 for the set.

But I already have a pretty decent Alpinestars jacket that I paid $220ish for a few years back. Hasn't been in any accidents and is super comfortable to wear. I just don't have pants that match them so I pretty much just wear whatever I have at the time. I've even worn some North Face ski pants with them during very cold winter rides and it worked out great.

So is there any benefit to getting a matched top/bottom set of gear besides appearance and possibly the availability of a waistband connector?

Would the specific season of riding impact this decision as well? For example winter gear is often without vents and zippers so you're pretty much just dealing with solid colors, but spring/summer gear needs vents/zippers/exhausts/etc and the matched set would reflect this design choice.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    What?

I mean, you already covered the basics - It’s nice to zip together so your jacket doesn’t go riding up when you’re sliding down the road, and matching features to weather is good. Other than that, who cares?

If you like your A*s, get some of their pants. Most important is crash and then weather protection.
  3. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I buy black pants because they go with pretty much anything.
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  4. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can always get the waistband connector changed, so that you can zip together different brands' jackets and pants. It's an easy and inexpensive job by anyone who makes or repairs motorcycle clothing.
  5. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like to match brands, but no huge reasoning behind it other than having them zip together easily. Thinking about it, I have a lot of gear and the only set that isn't matched is that I wear either Darien or AD-1 pants with my Belstaff Discovery jacket because I don't think Belstaff ever made matching pants for it.