May 3-7 Ouray Ride Report (long)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by billcat, May 9, 2002.

1. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    What a blast! This area is absolutely gorgeous right now and there is nobody out there. I only shared a campground the first night by Almont, and the San Juan Mountains are beautiful. Riding highlights were Red Mountain, south on hwy550 from Ouray and “The Silver Thread”, hwy 149 over Slumgullion pass. Beer was drank, women were chased and bullshit was spread… perfect trip.

Attached Files:

2. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    Came down from a cold morning in Breckenridge to a hot and sunny day in Lakewood. Rested up, packed the bike and enjoyed some great spring weather coming out of the valley. The wind picked up around Boreas Pass on 285 and forced a quick stop in South (Who killed Kenny?) Park for more layers. I needed ‘em when I crossed a snowy Monarch Pass with no cars clogging the lane and some nice sweeping turns.

Went to check out Waunita Hot Springs (off hwy50) but the dirt road was rutted washboard and then went on private property so I turned around. Stopped in Gunnison for Kielbasa and beer then got turned around trying to find some camping north of Gunnison on 135. Finally settled on Almont C.G. that had great fishing but was right off the road (read noisy).

Ouray Colorado, May 3 - May 7 2002

Date Time Price Trip Od. Gal. Mil. Town
    3-May 14:33 $3.49 83.5 2.102 39.7241 Fairplay
    4-May 10:09 $9.00 191.9 5.004 38.3493 Gunnison
    5-May $6.51 141.9 3.767 37.6692 Ouray
    6-May 14:31 $6.30 138.1 3.602 38.3398 Silverton
    6-May 19:49 $4.31 115 2.75 41.8182 Pagosa Springs
    7-May 10:50 $7.43 178.5 4.373 40.8187 Gunnison
    7-May 17:05 $6.30 195 4.094 47.6307 Idaho Springs
    7-May 62.3 Lakewood
    Totals $43.34 1106.2 40.6214

Attached Files:

3. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    Arrived in Ouray at 1:30pm. Was careful driving through Ridgemount as some guy on a Honda GL warned me about cops through there. The ride really picked up south of Gunnison. There was no wind and the roads became more curvaceous. Picked up a topo of the area and met a country hippie named Steve and had drinks at a cool little bar called The Portal. Left to set up camp at Angels Creek outside of town (not on the map but easy to find and really nice) then came pack to The Portal for more beers and (you know I was really drinking heavy) Karaoke with the locals. Crazy town. Met some girls from Nebraska that livened things.

Attached Files:

4. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    Fucking crappy BMW boots lost the heel. I can’t believe these fucking things keep falling apart. Slept in late and enjoyed the Sunshine. Dropped down to Silverton and had my first taste of Red Mountain. It’s like ol’ Page Mill Road of California on steroids. Tight 15mph (posted anyways, heh heh) turns, abandoned mines, and sky spanning vistas make an A ride. Ate at the Brown Bear in Silverton, really good food. Then bombed back to Ridgeway as the Ouray Market was closed on Sunday. On the way out I met Marley, an 1100 Gs’r. He is out of Texas and was vacationing. Cool guy, I told him about the first annual gathering and about the site, hopefully he checks it before bombing up to Ouray July 11, 12th.
  5. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    Was going to take Engineer Pass over the summit out of Ouray but the call of Red Mountain was too strong. I really nailed it this time without the passenger. Then had to eat lunch at the Brown Bear again. From Silverton I went up some nasty 4wd roads on past 110 and Gladstone. This was the hairiest shit I had pulled on the big GS. The road was slippery, wet and steep. Went a ways past Corkscrew Pass and then headed back down past the Sunnyside mine and into Silverton.

Filled up the tank at Silverton, two miles out of town the bike chokes itself off and dies. I get it to fire up again and it coughs sputters and dies. Fire it up again and rev it at 4-5 rpm for a minute or so and it seems to clear up the problem. I think this was from me overfilling the tank and getting fuel in the canister. Sound right?

Wolf Creek pass was fun, but the real excitement came when I got to the valley and had to start dodging the young big horn sheep and the deer as they made there way to the Rio Grande River. Got tired of that quick and stopped for the night at Palisade CG.

Attached Files:

6. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    Went without the tent and woke up to a cold ass morning. Packed up the bag and thermarest and rode into Creede for a huge plate of Biscuits and Gravy and lots of Coffee. My fingers were fucking numb ass cold. Leaving Creede I was on The Silver Thread (Hwy 149) and it ripped. This road never straightened out and was a blast to tear off. Stopped at the memorial for notorious cannibal Alfred Packer and enjoyed great sunshine and turns. After a short stint on hwy 50 and 285 I decided to go north through Leadville on “Top of the Rockies” scenic byway. Cold but pretty.

Of course, I had to wrap this kick ass trip up proper with a few Powderkeg Stouts at the Tommyknocker brewery in Idaho Springs. Then it was superslab 70 to put the bike back up, grab the dog and head back to the hills.

Attached Files:

7. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    wow, those pictures are huge. I will try to find time to fix that tomorrow
  8. supercreep

supercreep _______________

Oddometer:
    super cool, bill. you keep your bike in lakewood, eh?
    when are we gonna go riding :evil
  9. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    Riding, Friday or Saturday both work. I am staying down in honor of Mom.:):
  10. supercreep

Oddometer:

this weekend is not looking to good - i have a job coming in in an hour (9:30) that i promised to turn around this weekend (the favors i do for people, i should have my head examined). i am supposed to be in st.louis next weekend but i am thinking of blowing it off and going riding all weekend. what are you up to next friday or saturday?
  11. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    That is a definate maybe... I will be up in Breckenridge but the snow may be melted enough that I can drive to my place. I could get over halfway there last weekend so I am hopefull. If we rode out that way so I could check it out early enough to bring the bike back down if neccesary this just might work. But I have to be there this weekend. Something about that road just opening up brings out all the idiot jeep allstars and they like to try to brake into the cabin. I prefer to be there with both barrels loaded when they try. :gun1
  12. billcat

billcat z

Oddometer:
    I'll check back periodically so if you can talk that gorgeus red head 10+ model client of yours onto the back of the bike this weekend for a quick ride then let me know:evil
  13. supercreep

Oddometer:
    i'll see what i can do. yeah, crusing into breckenridge (via 285 or ?) is good w/me. haven't been there in a couple months on the bike (it was snowing on me) so sounds like fun. schedule is always changing so i will know more in a few days.
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    queer. afraid to leave your home state? :huh
  15. supercreep

Oddometer:
    is "queer" a question or a statement? if it is a question then i answer no. if it a statement then you can eat the corn from my shit. also, i like to leave my home state. why?
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:

:rofl