May as well motel it instead of camp....

Discussion in 'Americas' started by theshnizzle, Mar 2, 2017.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at camping fees across the northern states on the way to D2D. Dayum,when did camping get so expensive? Since I am a non-resident I will pay a extra higher fee for park entry plus my camping. It looks like $ 30 USD is about the going rate no matter what state I am in.

Entry fees range from $6 to $9 bucks with camping fees in the $25 range. That's about $ 40 Canadian per night average to camp. I am not sure if there will be tax on top of that. I have had better luck negotiating cheap motel fees to about the $ 40 to $ 50 range.

I'm not a offroader so I won't be riding down remote roads looking for free camping.

It looks like the city campgrounds are about $ 5 cheaper when I can find them.

I like to camp but for a extra $10 or so and I can get a roof over my head and a bathroom....:dunno
    Hi-De-Ho and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check hotels we had trouble to find anything under $100 a night around tourist traps. If you find anything under $75 you are in luck. YMMV
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't look for anything in a urban type center. I ride off the beaten track into small towns with a couple mom and pops. There's deals to be found if you are willing to be patient and your standards aren't to high.

Sometimes you can be plesently suprised
    willfreely, Hi-De-Ho and Thunderally like this.
  4. insomnia

insomnia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hang out at bingo halls if your a silver tonged devil you can get a free bed supper and breakfast and free love all you can eat if you have the stomach for it :lol3
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I have an App by a company called AllStays. They make a lot of camping related apps. I chose one called Camp and Tent. It specifically leave out RV Parks. It's a fantastic app as it allows me to just ride and not plan my stops. No matter where I am I can fire up the app, put in whatever filters I want and it will guide to any tiny small cheap, even free campsite in the area I want to overnight in.

Get it and have a look, it makes camping possible for me because I hate deciding days before my trip where and when I have to stop to camp.
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    rs42sport and rwebell like this.
  7. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to have that app but I can't remember why it didn't work for me as well as I had hoped. I turn my phone off when I cross the border because of data and roaming charges.
  8. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd second this one. I was once sitting at a $45 campground, nothing else in sight, and pulled the app out. 5 miles down a gravel road was a 'horsemans camp' listed as free camping. It ended up being $10 if I remember right, and was one of the best campgrounds on the trip.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of turning your phone off put it in airplane mode, which will turn off all data. Go to McDonalds, they almost always have free wi-fi. I wonder if you didn't have a Canadian version of the App? Mine works great, and so does everyone else's that I've talked to.
  10. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've found that if you check around you can find some great deals on motels. And with the Cannadian exchange rate in our favor by about 25% all is good.

For example...a room at The Bunkhouse in Dawson City is $85 CAD or $63 US. If you get another rider to share one of the twin beds you only pay $33 US a night. The trick is to get someone to share a room or campsite. If you do that then a motel is just about the same as what is being charged for a nice campsite.

For me, I'll gladly pay 20 to 25% more for a motel room instead of camping (unless the weather is beautiful and the campsite is great).
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    NV state parks are still a good deal, $14-$20 per night (-$2 for NV residents). The fees aren't entirely clear on this point, but the camping fee includes the day use fee unlike some places where they require you to pay an entrance fee on top of any camping fees.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yes there are great deals here in the lower 48. And most of the Provincial Parks in Canada are a great value at about $12 a night.
    Shadow Sixniner likes this.
  13. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z and Tewster2 like this.
  14. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not in Ontario they aren't...$54 for a single tent space!!!! Provincial parks that is....worst place to camp at imho!, plus 100's of drunken city dwellers each weekend.
    Once you leave Ontario the prices drop like a rock....so you can find cheap campsites along your way imho.....over rough camping if you need the pumbing lol
    SSBB likes this.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep I guess Ontario is different. I only have experience in AB/BC/YT.
  16. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Also you can camp free in tons of places in the western U.S.. Nevada is over 86% BLM land, all of it open and free for boondocking. I've used https://freecampsites.net/ to find sites as well.
    Drwnite likes this.
  17. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While private campgrounds can be over $100.00 per night US, at beach front locations in Florida, the national forests provide camping ranging from free up to about $12-15.00 for a site with running water and electricity. Many forest campgrounds have flush toilets and hot showers as well even when using the cheaper non-electric sites. In Georgia the state parks are expensive and in the mountain area hard to find a spot during peak tourist season.
    National Parks charge an admission fee but there is an $80.00 pass to give free admission for one year to national parks and many other government sites. The forest service does charge admission to some sites claiming they are a concession. Admission fees at national parks can range from $12.00 per person up to $25.00 for a motorcycle. The US national parks are worth visiting and at $80.00 the pass may well pay for itself in a few days. The America the Beautiful pass can be bought at a national park entrance station.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is always a fairly high "non-resident" fee charged at the gate. I don't mind paying 2 or 3 bucks extra but not 6 to 9 bucks.

I ALWAYS stop and use McDees free Wi-Fi. Then I have to search and then write down the directions usually for at least 2 campgrounds in the area I am going in case one totally sick or is to expensive.

I like to have options. Anyway,it's kind da time consuming to do that every day.

I would have to pay a lot of higher entrance fees to get my worth out of a $80.00 park pass. Don't forget I have to add 25 to 30% on every price. That $80 pass is around $110 for me....
  19. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snizz....soon it won't pay to slip under the border the way our $$ is dropping....we may see a neg $$ if it keeps up...lol.

We're definately staying abover the border now...just so you know...lol. With a dash for the border into Alaska. Just searching now for a mining trail to bypass it...lol....the last time i did that I ended up at some guy's mine and he wasn't happy to see me at all!!!!
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    The campground in wawa is 30 a night but mine was right by the water at least not a shitty provincial park site for over $40.00
    willys likes this.