May as well motel it instead of camp....

Discussion in 'Americas' started by theshnizzle, Mar 2, 2017.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This varies a bunch! Try the free beer routine from so-called campers who don't even speak to you. We use state parks for winter travels and in some parks there friendly folks, others they keep to themselves. Warm weather weekend campers vs. $750,000 diesel pushers crowd seems to change how they look at you next door in yer tent. Socialization, yeh sure. Any full water & electric, campgrounds with big pull throughs, expect noisy Greyhound bus sized diesel pushers to make the scenery go away from view and not too much hello, how are you stuff... This I know about.
    At my age with my back the huge tent vs. motel difference is the bed/mattress thing, it's not about the possibility of free beer IMO.
    It's not about the beer.
    Most of the older style, local owned motels seem to start at around $30 these days in USA. In my area there are no motels of any kind for most part. Campgrounds or free spots are there if you look and likely to be very safe here.
    Most any formal campground has a limit of people or tents or vehicles allowed per site which can allow joining others to save money.
    For a shower at some state parks, etc., you could pay the low day use fee then slip in a shower while there and leave. Might also say you want to "take a free look" at the campsites, take a quick shower then leave.
  2. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I DO like to ride kitesurfer! I did a ride report for my first Alaska trip and...wait.....my son helped me a lot because back then I couldn't really manage a computer.

But still,I was suprised at how much work it was and time consuming. I have been toying with the idea of posting up a rr for my Europe trip though.

I never did one for my Mexico trip.

Once I get the info I am looking for regarding a trip or area then I move on from a thread unless something occurs to me later on.

Or if someone starts shitting in my thread then I'm out a there. I have no need for the negativity or childish sniping that goes on here when threads start out with a well meaning question and ends up with cyber bullying.

Keep that down in the basement.....but that just my opinion and no one gives a rat's as about it.

Cheers!!

Damhik kitesurfer!! Now I feel kinda da guilty about not doing more rr!
    kitesurfer likes this.
  3. dksd39

dksd39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im always amazed and thankful for all the inmates that take the time to do ride reports. The writing skill and time dedication to document a trip is something i simply dont have lol. I expect to do about 60k miles this yr and i keep my friends and family updated with pics on facebook and that in itself shows me im not ready to do a full ride report and makes me appreciate them even more.
    MerrellJr likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So forgive me what happened that time what changed your opinion on stealth camping?
  5. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^

This
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    She is a very small framed woman so I would suggest you use some imagination, but I bet she simply felt threatened by someone at some point and moved on before anything bad happened. She is an experienced camper and can I expect handle herself if need be....so I doubt she wants to either relive the experience etc so why ask?
    No offense to anyone especially the Snizzle....and if she wants to add or correct anything, I'm sure she will.
    Maggot12 and Bacca like this.
  7. branthopolis

branthopolis Long time lurker Noob

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ Yep ^^^^^ I used the ParkAdvisor app quite a bit this past summer and it was a great help finding places to stay..
  8. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    after 4 attempts responding to your post...I quit! obviously, I have a tough time with computers too!
  10. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've found that most of the foreign folks who run the smaller motels are used to some bargaining when it comes to price. It's, I believe embedded in their culture. Many times I've asked for the price of a room then asked them if they'd take a lower price to keep me from going on down the road. Almost always they've agreed to a lower price to get at least some money from me. There's no dis-respect from either of us to the other...just a bit of old fashion bargaining.
  11. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Using Occam's Razor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love to camp...but like you I've found that the price of camping has just gotten out of control. I bring my camping gear along and find that I end up using it very little. It's time consuming and inconvenient to try to source out cheap camping and cheap camping usually ends up being crappy camping. I know...everyone has an exception to that statement...but lets not argue about that. That's just the way it is. I usually try to find mom an pop hotels that are not in the usual tourist towns or not in the center of activity at least. Bottom line, it's just one of the expenses of traveling in the U.S. There's no real good answer.
  12. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything you said :thumb
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded it...
    Thanks.

14. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second everything you stated above.
    willys likes this.
  15. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Looks like heavily tilted to RVs....as helpful for us tenters?
    Think we all know how we are looked at in between all the pushers with double slide-outs!
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way I look at it better than nothing. Google finds some more and don't discard olde and true "read the signs and ask people", works when you are out of the service area.

When we travel I have a 6 o'clock rule: find place to sleep at 6. In June it can get dark at 8+, so it leaves enough time to pitch the tent, and about 1hr to try alternatives if doesn't get it right first time.
    branthopolis likes this.
  17. branthopolis

branthopolis Long time lurker Noob

Oddometer:
    It does show a lot of RV applicable info, but it will show National parks, us forest service, state parks, public lands, county/city parks, military, and a few other categories as well as KOA, Jellystone, 1000 Trails, and a few others depending on the settings you configure.
    Its a good resource.. The thing I like is that it integrates phone #, website, navigate to, with your phone and allows people to post comments about and pictures of the campgrounds and has a user ratings system.
    scootac likes this.
  18. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded that app and it doesn't show the campground 2 miles from my house wehere I'm sitting using it.
  19. acard13

acard13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the Wikicamp app. It seems to have more campgrounds than most apps and not geared to RV's. It is not list prices at most campgrounds but usually has links to their website.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    scroll back through this thread to the app I suggested. No RV resorts. It's awesome and picks up all the little freebies tucked off the main roads as well.