! may be going to hell in a bucket,

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Frank likes to ride, Dec 25, 2009.

1. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can see Franks pics here - although not necessarily the same ones he had posted in this thread;
    http://frank766.zenfolio.com/

This one is stunning - I'd like to think I could get something similar... if only I could drag myself out of bed that early in the morning! I guess I'll never know :lol3

http://frank766.zenfolio.com/p782870083/h287fb311#h287fb311

Looking at Franks pics, and knowing the kind of gear required to get them, I'd say he must be a pro - or should be - and has every right (and reason) to protect his work.

Trevor
  2. TonsOfFun

TonsOfFun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that Franks photographic images are quite pleasing to the eye.
    High quality photographic equipment at the correct setting, and composition with correct natural light conditions lend to exceptional images. This is the mark of a professional photographer.
    There are several other artificial ways to achieve this apparent "natural" high quality using multiple images merged, altered and enhanced using computer software. Some camera manufactures are offering digital cameras that accomplish multiple image merging, stitching and enhancement without the need to process the images on a computer. While the finished image is often stunningly beautiful they are in fact not a true representation of the original scene, they are a digital generated "fake". I do not know if Frank employs these techniques or not, nor do I care, I like the final product. Several posters on this site do enhance their photos and most likely those images are not a true representation of what the subject actually looked like.
    The question is, does it matter that the images are altered? probably not to most, after all, magazines do it (those women and men don't look like that up close in real life).
    I'm more interested in the riding experience, the trip, the bike, the rider, "the story" than achieving photographic perfection. If this site was mainly about photography than I guess that would be the main focus but it's about motorcycle adventures.
    I most enjoy real photography and true stories as told by the adventure rider. It seems more honest that way.
    Just my opinion.
  3. Louis

Louis Been off road... on a K12

Oddometer:
    +1 Dame right!
    Great pics !:clap
  4. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Fantastic shots. thanks for the address. Heck , I even do a small bit of post processing on many of my posted pictures. Just ain't a big deal. Frank makes you feel as if you were in the scene with him and them. Just great. :clap:clap:clap
  5. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looking at those pics really me really wish my driveway wasn't a skating rink so that i can take the bike out
  6. Frank likes to ride

Frank likes to ride .........................

Oddometer:
    Hello all.

Sorry I haven't been responding to this thread in a while. I ruptured a disk in my back (T-7-8) lifting something heavy with one arm, so have been unable to ride due to pain. The ruptured disk is pressing on my spinal cord and nerves, causing stabbing pain to wrap around to my chest. It kills me knowing there a beautiful brand new motorcycle sitting in my garage and I cant ride it on these rides I love. So been avoiding looking at motorcycle forums, as it just adds heartbreak to my back pain. I don't like talking about my back injury/pain, its a depressing subject, so also have been avoiding online forums for that reason. Talking about it, explaining what is going on, just makes me feel worse.

I didn't mean to kill the links to the photos in this thread. If I were going to lock the photos from forums, I would do it on all forums, not just this one.

Best way to view the riding photos of this thread is in a full screen slideshow. (Click the little box in upper right hand corner to make it full screen) here is a link:
    http://frank766.zenfolio.com/p121002546/slideshow

If you want to see the landscape photos:
    http://frank766.zenfolio.com/p782870083/slideshow

I posted these photos on this forum first. Then later on, reorganized my photos, moved a bunch, deleted a bunch of so so ones, made a new gallery called "why we ride" and posted the photos from that gallery on two other local riding forums. Unfortunately when I reorganized my galleries, I broke the older links to this older thread.

Too much trouble to fix the links in this monster of a thread. Never thought it would get so big and have so many responses. I'll post a new thread with new photos when I'm able to ride again. I'm flattered that my photos have been viewed by so many all across the globe, and have been cross posted on so many other forums.

About me: I'm not a pro photographer, just an enthusiast. Never intended to profit from my pictures. I do it out of love. My profession has always been being a damn good auto mechanic, and always have earned a decent living doing so.

Unfortunately, this injury is not only preventing me from riding, but also preventing me from working. As being a auto mechanic is a lot tougher on my back than riding a motorcycle. So I'm a little worried what the future brings. As this disk problem is taking longer to heal than I would like. I normally heal very quickly from injury. Getting older sucks!

I'm not the type that likes being stuck on a couch. Feels like prison and is torture to someone like me. Seeing a bunch of doctors, trying everything under the sun, but no luck so far finding relief, aside from strong opiates which I cant stand taking. But won't give up.

Can't complain too much, as I have had much more fun than most, and have close friends dealing with much worse problems like cancer.

Wish me luck. Seeing a new Doc soon. Hope to find relief and be back in the saddle before too long, sharing even better photos with you all.

Cheers

Frank
  7. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI Some people juggle geese.

Oddometer:
    Damn Frank, you mentioned back pain the last time I saw you at one of Yana's movie nights but you played down how bad it was. I fucked up my back in the Army so I can relate, but yours is umpteenth time worse. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you bro.
  8. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frank,

good to see you back - and sorry to hear about your health issues. Obvious that if you can't ride you're not going to be doing much auto mechanic-ing... Howerver you're also a damn good amateur photographer - have you done any investigation into what you need to do to make some income from photography? Not easy, I know, but some of your pics are exceptional. Might we worth a try given your current situation.

I realize you got a lot of those pics because you were able to RIDE to the location, so it's going to be difficult to get new ones now. But you must have a big enough collection to be able to start trying to market them until you are fit to ride again?

Good Luck!

Trevor
  9. Frank likes to ride

Frank likes to ride .........................

Oddometer:

Yeah, don't like talking about it. Does no good. So when people ask how I'm doing I don't say much. Percocet 10's help take the edge off, and allows me to go out and catch dinner or a movie, but no way I should ride or drive while on that stuff.

Doc's say this particular disk is too dangerous to operate on. So just passing the time, hoping that it heals itself. Right now making appointments to give acupuncture a try. (only thing I haven't tried yet)

Maybe its karma for teasing so many with these photos... Now its my turn to sit on the couch while others are out having fun riding.

They can't all be great years. :D
  10. barryadam

barryadam No Value Added

Oddometer:
    Frank,

Good luck with your back. You have inspired so many people by caring enough to share your skills. If you let them, you will find that there are a lot of caring people here and in the other forums that may inspire you. You just need to be open to it.

Coming back from shoulder problems is nothing compared to back problems. But the thought of not being able to keep doing the fun stuff is the same. It certainly makes you think of how lucky you really are when you finally recover. And you will.

Stay for a while. You have more friends than you know.

Barry
  11. Fitty

Fitty Shopping cart rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. So sorry to hear about your back. I'd like to add my best wishes for a complete recovery.

Thanks so much for all the joy you've brought to us with your photos.
  12. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frank...Thanks for updating us on what happened to yourself and the photos.... Sorry to hear about the back injury... I hope the 'good times' return real soon for you ..

Thanks for the new link .... awesome as ever. :thumb
  13. FargAT

FargAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frank -

yours is one of the threads I'm religiously visiting. As a fellow rider and photographer, I'm blown away by many of your images.

I certainly wish you a speedy recovery and manageable pain 'til you're ready to hit the tarmac again -

Mike
  14. SirSparkz

SirSparkz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Frank those are hands-down some of the best motorcycling pictures I've ever seen, I'm floored! Hope the back gets better and you get back out and take some more, thanks for sharing them!

:clap
  15. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Great photo slideshows! I always loved your moto-pics, but the landscape slideshow was awe-inspiring. There are soo many wonderful images there, but 52 (Valentino Rossi) and 82 (Lunar Eclipse) stood out to me.
  16. ..::LOST::..

..::LOST::.. utter n00bie

Oddometer:
    Frank,

Very sorry to hear about your condition. Now I'm going to bleed my heart out to you, and everyone here in this forum. I had suffered with chronic back pain for nearly 15 years. What's chronic, well for "me" and worse case it was paralysis. I could move sure, but very very painful. I remember spending weeks in bed trying to get back and forth to doctors. When the injury first occurred, also in the Army, I couldn't do shit. Standing was the most painful thing ever... Honestly felt my life was over and I wanted to ball up and cry. It was truly a depressing time for me. But! With time, treatment, and therapy you'll come out of this. I will say you'll never be the same, but I want to be an encouragement for you and your condition. I understand the pain, I understand the depression related to something like this. I don't know your condition, and we're all unique with our back injuries (some heal some don't). I'm not a religious person, but I'll pray for your expedient recovery and live a pain free life. Like I said I dealt with back pain for years, but I was eventually fixed - that story is really and adventure too! You wan't know what I did to celebrate after I was fixed? I purchased a motorcycle! That's right, December 10th 2009 I had my 3rd and final surgery. 4 months later I got my R1200GS. 6 months later I rode my first 12hr endurance MTN Bike race! Hang in there buddy! Give it time... You'll pull through this!

Very Respectfully
    Jay (..::LOST::..)
  17. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    It's no fun to be an invalid - even if only for a period of time :cry

Some years ago I was chained to a hospital for 3 months after a bad crash - it's not something I would like to try again :puke1

- but it is gratifying to hear that you still want to share your amazing photos :clap

Get well soon.

Regards
    Tonny
  18. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Frank. :clap:clap:clap
    Thanks for the update. Spending most of my life as a heavy equipment ( drilling rigs on land and sea ) mechanic. I also know the pains of back, muscle and ligament injuries. Hang tuff and it will come though the waiting to heal is costly and mind wrecking. ( I was off for 6 months once for a torn, detached retina in the right eye. ) Soft ball hit. :huh
    I've stepped up my taking pictures on the move to be more creative thanks to your efforts and results. Just so hard for me to delete even the bad pictures. :lol3
  19. The Jinx

The Jinx I'm an angel... :p

Oddometer:
    Frank

U have inspire me on taking shots from motorcycle! :thumb

I have been taking with P&S now, will try with dSLR when more confident! :D

Get well soon!

God bless U!

Regards
    sbw
  20. EMTNEK

EMTNEK Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend acupuncture. Had a around L-8 spasm last year that pinched a nerve and caused atrophy in the thigh over a several month period. Found a really good acupuncturist that runs a pain clinic in a hospital in addition to his practice. It took some time but worked better than any painkillers or muscle relaxants. Most of his referrals are from neurosurgeons. He has a very high success rate with disks avoiding surgery. Has put firefighters back on the job full time who were scheduled for disk surgery. This is in Massachusetts but I am sure that there are some well qualified ones near you. He was not a touchy feeling new age type, but a clinician and former president of the American Acupuncture Society.

It can work and is worth the effort.