May just cry - right cylinder failure and leakage

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Adam G, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Adam G

Adam G n00b

Oddometer:
    To keep it short and sweet, I ride my R65 Monolever on certain days to one of my jobs, she's been due a new battery for a while as she's struggled starting, however I go to jump start as I'm now late, take her down the hill. No luck. Turn back around, pushing her all the way to the top, drop her on the right hand cylinder, have to pick her up with a knackered sciatic nerve. Get home etc.

Buy a new Odyssey PC680 battery, 2x NGK Iridium spark plugs to assist in starting. All installed and the cranking power to start the bike is insane. However, it sounds completely off, try going for some throttle and it the engine dies, switch sparks and see the same issue. Right hand spark plug was covered in oil, fuel, something. Then I look below the bike, drip drip drip, oil coming from the seams of the right hand cylinder and the small boot cover.

Anyone got any ideas of how bad this actually is - pictures are as follows, excuse the not so amazingly clean bike, been riding it in some bad weather here.

Attached Files:

2. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do a complete tune up, including re-torquing the cylinder heads and adjusting the valves and go from there. The crankcase vents to the RH carb, so the oily right plug is pretty normal, and the pics show your push rod tube seals are leaking, again a common thing. This doesn't appear to be anything too bad, and it should..................should....be easily remedied.
  3. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks to me like you need to do a top-end seal job.

I'd start with a full tune up, making sure the carb settings are good and you aren't running rich.

If it is an oil issue, that could be rings or valve guides. How many miles on this bike?
  4. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just the pic or my poor vision, but that spark plug gap looks a tad excessive.
    ME 109 and Uke like this.
  5. TwoShoes

TwoShoes How Many Shoes?

Oddometer:
    ... and you might want to stick a nut on that engine mounting through-bolt, just saying.
  6. Adam G

Adam G n00b

Oddometer:
    She's at 67k at the moment.

And right that's a good place to start, thanks everyone.
  7. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    crankcase full of gas?
  8. mrclubike

mrclubike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second that
    That sure is a lot of oil coming from the cylinder base area

The iridium spark plugs are a waste of money
    You will oil or fuel foul them way before the wear out
  9. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if you were having the oil and base gasket trouble before you dropped it on the cylinder?
    ME 109 likes this.
  10. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    if it was on the side for a couple minutes, it wouldn't have time to fill the cylinder with anything so check elsewhere.

Right hand side...take the gas tank off and check the 3 plastic connectors, check the kill switch and the carb cables. Drop the bowls and see if both have gas.

If more than 3K miles since last tuneup...as suggested above start with the valve reset, check cables and free play, put in a set of NGK plugs, and yes..add a nut/washer to the engine mount so the engine won't rattle around in the frame..and torque both.

And yes push rod seal weeping is expected with that number of miles...just be prepared because doing a top end on an R65 is not the same as a regular airhead because of the short rods and short cylinders..REALLY hard to get the wrist pin C clip off and on due to space limitation.

But done right, this is something that lasts a long time.
  11. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Just dropping the bike on either jug rarely does more than scratch the covers. Don't ask me how I know this.

The missing engine mounting nut is indicative of maybe this bike needs a few loose ends tightened up.
    ccmickelson likes this.
  12. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The oil fouled plug and the oil leaks around the base gasket/O ring don't have much to do with each other. The right side cylinder can tend to get slightly more oil in it because of the way the crankcase tube vents into the airbox.

Likely what happened is that the carbs dumped some excess gas into the engine when you dumped the bike. If falling over caused all those leaks you have a stud problem. Re-torque heads, and do a tune up adjusting valves etc and see what happens.
    Mouse likes this.
  13. Richardtheroadie

Richardtheroadie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When mine leaked like that it was a stripped head bolt. Put in a helicoil and it is back to not leaking. If you are trying to torque the heads and they won’t tighten up you may have this issue. Good luck!