1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

May Moab Meandering 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, May 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    no matter how it's done, there are no bad moab pics.

wish i spend more time out there, but that just gives me a reason to go back.

thanks sf and sb.
    simbaboy, Chillis and ScotsFire like this.
  2. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I have not... yet. It’s pretty high on my list for Moab, and has been for a couple years. I feel like I need someone willing to do it with me, and haven’t had that available yet.
    simbaboy likes this.
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Challenging but none like it. Did it on my 72nd BD on this bike!
    IMG_2256.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
  4. Dirty bird

Dirty bird Slightly off-camber

Oddometer:
    If we happen to be on the same Imu Moab trip next spring, I'll do it with you. I like challenging trails!
    Chillis, simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  5. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    I’ll be there! I wasn’t there this April as I was still in Mexico.
    simbaboy and Dirty bird like this.
  6. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:imaposer:jack

Seriously, @ScotsFire wants to ride Kane Creek but he is waiting for a small group of riders who are as accomplished as he is.
    Maybe, @UtahGuido could do it with him as they did conquer Rose Garden 'Hell'.
    @Dirty bird I am sure we can put Lockhart Basin in the rotation for 'Moab April 2022' - -but I have no desire to ride that again.
    That one ride improved my riding by instilling confidence in me. The views were fantastic. But the difficult obstacles were way beyond my skill level and remain so. I am so glad Robert rode both his bike and mine through several (?6-10 obstacles) without once complaining though he was also getting fatigued.

Imu

just one example of Robert riding my bike through an ankle bursting obstacle if not taken correctly.
    [​IMG]
  7. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool!! Enjoyed the pics and RR.
    Dirty bird, ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  8. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2CC8BD7F-EA20-4CF1-99CD-4B658D640466.jpeg Was out there last week. On the 24th, we took Rim Rocker over to Nucla. Slabbed 90/46 west to CR154/2 Mile Rd. North to La Sal Pass and over. Looked to be the first "two wheels" over the La Sal pass. Covered a very diverse terrain. Tried Geyser Pass but it may be couple weeks out?

Old 179
    krug, Comrade Arturo, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  9. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Been out there 3 times and love that place but I'm getting too old for the rough stuff on a KLR so White Rim is as rough as I like to do now.
    Chillis, Dirty bird and ScotsFire like this.
  10. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    The first day we rode (Friday May 21) it snowed pretty good on the La Sal's. It was mostly gone a few days later, but there was still some pockets, especially on the north faces when we left on Memorial Day.
  11. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    May 23, 2021: Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, Spring Canyon Overlook, and some sand here and there

Day 3 was much more typical Moab, lots of sun! Nice break from having to worry about getting rained on. The "plan" was to go explore NW of Moab towards Ten Mile Wash a little. I assured @simbaboy it would be an easy day after dragging him down Lockhart Basin the day before. I'm not good at keeping that sort of promise.

We started west on Gemini Bridges Road to cut out some slab.
    [​IMG]

Mi Amigos!
    [​IMG]

Even an easy route like Gemini is really scenic.
    [​IMG]

"Let's go down into Bull Canyon." I nearly fell off my 450. Imu suggesting we check out a different route? Apparently the aliens replaced my friend when they retrieved their obelisk last year.
    [​IMG]
    But I didn't argue with the creature.

It's fun to drop into the canyons we look at from the top so often.
    [​IMG]
    Looking up is cool too.

These shots belie the roughness of the last mile or two of this dead end road.
    [​IMG]
    The three of us clawed our way through the rocks and climbs stopping just short of where the bulldozer gave up on a cliff side. This from a screen capture of video.

[​IMG]
    This is looking at the way back out. We'd been hoping to find the way into the bottom of Gemini Bridges, but couldn't figure out which side canyon the twin arches were in.

So we got back on track.
    [​IMG]
    A track anyway.

Some of us got un-tracked.
    (Video 28 seconds - no music)

We'd ridden the Hey Joe Safari Route, which drops down into Spring Canyon, several times. But had never gone to the overlook that road goes around to get to the abandoned mine. So we decided to check it out. Nice terrain headed that way.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sandy in spots. Imu and John weren't real excited about that.

John contemplating the view as we wait for Imu to catch up from the last sandy stretch.
    [​IMG]
    I will say that Imu has shown considerable improvement in his sand riding. He must have gotten some practice in April. Or mid-Michigan suddenly turned to desert. Geologically speaking of course.

[​IMG]

This area is always interesting to me. It will be mostly flat desert (with bonus terrain features) then falls into the depths of dramatic canyons.
    [​IMG]

This particular area was a little more nuanced. It wasn't the sudden pop in the face drops like a lot of the surrounding lands. Gradually (relatively speaking) got more broken and varied.
    [​IMG]
    The Secret Spire trail is off Spring Canyon Overlook Road. I assume this is the namesake for that. Short but fun loop combining deep sand with slickrock riding.

The canyons beckon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We expected over the top dramatic views given how it looks from the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    The Green River.

It didn't suck.
    [​IMG]
    But was a little underwhelming compared to our expectations. Photo wise, it was difficult to get the best parts framed well from the various vantage points. But even in person it wasn't THAT special compared to other nearby vistas.

It would provide a nearly infinite amount of bouldering if one were into that.
    [​IMG]

And it's not like I stopped taking more pictures.
    [​IMG]

After a break, we headed back east.
    [​IMG]
    John and Imu had endured enough sand for the day and started back towards Moab.

I on the other hand kept wandering north-ish, taking some lesser developed roads.
    [​IMG]
    With unsurprising results.

Still well worth the effort.
    [​IMG]

The way back out.
    [​IMG]

I also stumbled upon the Enduro Trail. Jumping on a single track, sandy, unknown path no-one knows you're on always seems like a great idea.
    [​IMG]
    Riding in these washes definitely got me some sand practice time. Imu would hate this. I'll have to bring him here next year.

The last few miles of dirt were on Ten Mile Road.
    [​IMG]

Even with the extra credit riding, I was back in town by three. Only downside was that Milt's was closed for the day.

Fun day exploring unfamiliar places. I could do more of that sort of thing.
  12. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    More and more I see why Moab calls to riders. I'll be looking for the chance to make it happen in my future. Its only a 26hr drive for me.:doh
  13. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    M
    Fly and ride?
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been to the Spring Canyon Overlook, only to Secret Spire. Like you, I've been to Hey Joe several times (never tire of it) and this year was no exception. On a different day we did Dellenbaugh Tunnel/Secret Spire and heading back to Willow Springs camp via Bartlett Wash. Kane Springs is still a trail on my to-do list. I'm jealous that you did Lockhart Basin as that's also on my to-do list. Since I get confused (easy to do) about how many times simbaboy rides Moab in one year the only thing I can say is our small group rode it a week prior to the first simbaboy ride...I think. Thanks for sharing! Great stuff.
    Dirty bird, simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  15. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first time I drove out to Spring Canyon overlook it was into a thunderstorm. I was snug and safe in my new Jeep. I turned on the phone video and recorded some of my drive back up. If you like staring at a 9 minute video waiting for lightning strikes this is for you!

16. Dirty bird

Dirty bird Slightly off-camber

Oddometer:
    It was 26hrs for me too. I didn't drive straight through though, I took 3 days.
    It was well worth the drive, Moab hasn't seen the last of this GA boy!
    ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Imu
    Dirty bird likes this.
  18. goodquest

goodquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are killing me, great stories, great pictures and seems like
    A bunch of great people to ride with. Looks like another must ride area.
    ScotsFire, Dirty bird and simbaboy like this.
  19. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I will add some of my pics to the thread.
    Great RR @ScotsFire and superb pictures.
    Imu
    UtahGuido, ScotsFire and Dirty bird like this.
  20. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I have to download pics of The WRT and will post those as soon as I do.

Here is one from the day before:
    [​IMG]
    liv2day and Dirty bird like this.