1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

May Moab Meandering 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, May 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did Kane Creek once years ago on my Kawasaki. I did alright but my go at the crux section wasn't anything to write home about. Actually I did do the last part of it a couple years prior to that in a mission to rescue some abandoned KLR650s. But that's another story.

I had initially reacted to @simbaboy 's suggestion that I might be up for a go at Kane Creek with a resounding "Nope!" but in thinking about with some training (yeah, right) and a little work on the Weasel to improve it's low end grunt (I have a plan) I think I'll be game for it. That and Lockhart Basin.
    simbaboy, AZ TOM and ScotsFire like this.
  2. Dirty bird

Dirty bird Slightly off-camber

Oddometer:
    Abandoned KLRs? Say it ain't so!
    Everybody chant! GUIDO! GUIDO! GUIDO!
    repeat-after-me-i-can-do-this-quote-1.jpg
    simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Start chanting “IMU, IMU, IMU!!” I know @simbaboy caves in to peer pressure.

Starting to look like Lockhart AND Kane Creek will be on next April’s itinerary.

In other news: Trying to get another post up, but had some struggles getting video put together. My computer developed minor issues in Mexico that spiraled out of control while at the shop. Trying to use a couple different systems from Vicki with various challenges chiefly related to “it’s not set up like mine.”

First world problems to be sure.
  4. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    IMU! IMU! IMU!
  5. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Imu, if your listening, one word: momentum!

Although to be fair unbalanced and uncontrolled momentum is a recipe for disaster.

Robert - hang in there with the video. I'm itching to see my unbalanced and barely controlled effort on that small ledge on the Boxcar trail.
  6. ve6kjp

ve6kjp n00b

Oddometer:
    Brilliant photos and ride - thanks for sharing. I've been going to Moab almost yearly since 1995, but sad to say only once on a motorcycle... the rest of the times in the Jeep. Now that I'm getting more back into riding I plan to be there next spring sometime.

Couple of recommendations for you if you're interested... Top of the World is an amazing journey, less difficult than Kane Creek and a 30 minute ride out of town, but the view at the end is incredible... they don't call it Top of the World for nothing. Another really cool ride that is closer to town (up sand flats road) is Porcupine Rim. I've done that one on a bike and the end of the trail is another holy grail - you are on the cliffs overlooking Castle Valley. A couple of years ago I was up there and there were California Condors floating on the thermals. For your thoughts if you haven't been on them before. As far as Kane Creek goes... it keep getting tougher every year and with all the side by sides now route finding is getting a bit more difficult.
  7. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Elbows out, knees bent, hold pressure on the throttle - in theory it works.
    Dirty bird and simbaboy like this.
  8. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    May 24, 2021: Rose colored glasses (brown stained shorts)

Another day of exploring! This time to the Northeast of Moab. The twenty odd miles of UT Hwy 128 aren't exactly a burden to ride, with the natural beauty of the Colorado River and the adjoining red cliffs, but any slab is more tolerated in this part of the world (with present company to be sure.) We hit dirt at Dewey Bridge and headed out BLM 105, aka Shura Rd, aka the way to Top of the World. This has to be one of the bumpiest roads in the region, not because it's technical but due to the washboard and large gravel imbedded within the road surface.
    [​IMG]
    Yet @simbaboy , John, myself, and special guest star @UtahGuido did our best to get to the good stuff.
    (Video 11 seconds)

As is the norm, Guido and I were easily distracted by side roads. This video was the secondary egress from a pretty cool wild camping area.
    (Video 18 seconds)

More foreshadowing than we imagined.

The scenery did help take the sting (numbness?) out of the rough riding.
    [​IMG]
    Headed down towards the Dolores River Overlook
    [​IMG]

Fun and not too technical roads.
    (Video 57 seconds)

The La Sal Mountains had gotten SNOW in the last couple of days.
    [​IMG]

For all that the Dolores River is much smaller than the Green, the views were probably better here than at Spring Canyon Overlook.
    [​IMG]

Looking up the side canyon.
    [​IMG]

Why is my taking pictures so interesting to others?
    [​IMG]

Imu preparing his Bollywood Assassin Dance Moves.
    [​IMG]

The pull out was fun too.
    (Video 1:20 - no music)

Some of the hills were a little more challenging going up than down.
    [​IMG]
    But no issues.

Guido's Weasel
    [​IMG]
    He says it needs some help, but that Beta 125 kept up with the rest of us just fine.

It was just about then that someone, the so called Indian Guide, took the wrong right turn. For clarification, if there is a "Designated Route" sign on a BLM road, it is NOT the main drag. More a side track to keep the barbarians (like us) from creating their own more challenging routes. Poor John was just keeping the Michigan license plate in view and was led astray. Fortunately the Guido search team caught up before too much trouble ensued.

So feeling pretty full of ourselves for the good deed accomplished, Gordon and I talked ourselves into attempting the Rose Garden Hill route. Imu and John were having nothing of it (wise decision my friends) and pledged to meet us on the Onion Creek road, where we would come off the Rose Garden or establish the staging area for our own needed rescue mission.

Going North to South, the only significant obstacle to climb is just past the Dolores Overlook turn off. After that it sort of lulls you into a false sense of security.
    [​IMG]

Still great views.
    [​IMG]

Then you get slapped, and not necessarily in the face.
    (Video 47 seconds)

It stays moderately technical till towards the end.
    (Video 39 seconds)

(Video 28 seconds)

Then shit got real. The descent down the actual Rose Garden Hill.
    (Video 4:34 - no music, though clown tunes would have been appropriate)

Stop half way to let my heart rate drop, and to snap a pic looking back up.
    [​IMG]

And down.
    [​IMG]

Second half down was much easier.
    (Video 1:24)

I dropped my bike twice, and Guido took a fall onto some rocks that probably bruised some ribs. Otherwise we were both real glad we didn't have to go back up.

The last couple of miles or so was fun, packed dirt two track that rode like a roller coaster with the whoops and road twists. I'd do that stuff all day long! Too fun to stop for pics. We exited to Onion Creek Road and met John and Imu about half way down the canyon. Milt's for lunch and shakes afterwards capped a very eventful and fun day. The guy accompanying his singing with a stand up bass at the Blue Pig that evening was icing. This exploration thing is a pretty good gig.
    bomose, liv2day, simbaboy and 5 others like this.
  9. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Soon. That would make part of a nice compilation of video, so it might not get put up with the pictures from that day.

Firstly, thank you for the compliments. We'll be back in April with an open invite for new players.

We did Top of the World a couple of years ago (well some of us anyway). I'd definitely go up again. One of my favorite pictures of me ever was taken up there.
    [​IMG]

Porcupine Rim? That one I haven't done, but it's on my radar. Perhaps another 2022 addition...

Long Canyon, Lockhart, and especially Chicken Corners showed extensive damage from all the traffic, seemingly side-by-sides and/or jeeps. I'd never seen so many rentals out on the trails as this year. There's talk of limiting or restricting access to some routes and it may become necessary in some manner.
  10. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Gee, it doesn't look that steep in the video.

And I've got to get my elbows up. What a gomer. I need lessons.

Thanks buddy.
    ScotsFire, simbaboy and Dirty bird like this.
  11. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your pics :thumb
    ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  12. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  13. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed.
    Imu
    ScotsFire likes this.
  14. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff but how about key off & coast down hill? Clutch for engine braking but engine off?
  15. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Maybe. Whatever works I suppose. We weren't going for style points. As a matter of fact I did enlist Robert's help in getting my bike down the last ledge and we used brake and clutch with the engine off to slow the bike down.
  16. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    i always want my engine running on terrain like that, because boulders come up that require a blip of the throttle to get over. If you're in a position where you can't reach the ground in time, down you go!
    bomose and simbaboy like this.
  17. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was the first time that my Wife rode dirt trail with me.

I was nervous during the first several water crossings because I thought she would do what I used to do when facing a rock or ledge obstacle: slow down and then go down. But she did well and what I had said to her helped her she later told me "Your bike is a 1st gear tractor. Just point where you want to go and keep going. Don't worry about the rocks you see"

[​IMG]
    bomose, liv2day, AZ TOM and 3 others like this.
  18. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    Water crossings on her first dirt is very impressive! :clap
  19. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure how this dropped off my update feed and radar, but damn glad I stumbled across the thread again @ScotsFire!

Outstanding pics man, what a killer ride and time in the UT desert.

Hard laugh at
    , as well as wanting to take Imu there with you next time :lol2 :lol2 :lol2. Need to get my shit sorted so I can join you.

Going to catch up on the next page of updates, know it'll involve great pics and some envy.
    simbaboy likes this.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    Ahhh...descents with loose and embedded rocks and wonderful steps to add to the fun. Know it's steep when it looks so from the lens of a GoPro - damn man. Likely something wrong with me, but I like that stuff. Maybe not so much in the moment, but the sense of satisfaction after tackling the challenge - fantastic.

Liked the vids you posted @ScotsFire, the short clips are cool and I really enjoyed the two clips heading down Rose Garden. A bit freaky if I'm honest - where do you have the camera mounted on the bike? Couple times it felt like you were going to go off the edge :eek7 :eek7

Exploring like that to find new stuff is killer, good on ya for getting out to do that :thumb :thumb
    simbaboy likes this.