May Moab Meandering 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ScotsFire, May 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Thanks @liv2day for the encouragement. I’ll get you the April dates when we narrow it down, probably around the first of the year.

The GoPro is on the “number plate” above the headlight. I think this works well most of the time and it’s an easy reach to turn on/off. It is pretty vertigo inducing if I’m creeping through rocks and need to be turning the handle bars back and forth quickly. Trying to get better about recognizing those situations and moving the camera to my helmet.
    34D2B18B-FD8E-4513-9F4D-03434BE6AC1C.jpeg

There are still a lot of pictures and video to get up. It’s been remarkably busy for an old retired guy. Also my laptop is still being tortured by the repair shop. Had to be sent to the repair center three times so far. The other computers I have available aren’t working out for video editing other than some simple trimming.

Stand by to stand by. More coming soon.
    liv2day and simbaboy like this.
  2. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a true funny story.....
    Robert asks to borrow my tire pressure gauge.
    He uses it and both Front and Rear the gauge does not move indicating 0 PSI.
    While he goes inside the gas station to buy a new one I go check my own tires........it reads 16 PSI in the Front.
    By this time Robert is opening his new pressure gauge when I yell out to him that it reads fine on my tires.
    He uses the new gauge on his tires and it reads 0/0.
    Thank God he has had rim locks the last 5 days of riding.
    Imu

Lockhart Basin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    At Anticline Overlook:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Dirty bird

Dirty bird Slightly off-camber

Oddometer:
    I can't see the pics in your post, but CAN see them in the reply box. Crazy!
  5. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Don’t exaggerate. There was at least 2 psi in each tire.

Front would look a little flat on bumps, but the rear looked fine
    Chillis, simbaboy and Dirty bird like this.
  6. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tubliss! Tubliss!
    ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  7. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I was not feeling well here.....I had nausea and had to ask Robert what the altitude was.
    He said about 6K or so. I really think that a key component to riding Moab (in addition to adequate hydration) is having adequate physical conditioning. My fitness level has deteriorated significantly since last year.

[​IMG]

Guido was actually getting tired too:
    [​IMG]
    GringoRider, Chillis and Dangeross like this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Needed that laugh @simbaboy, thanks :thumb
    Chillis and simbaboy like this.
  9. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    We had a good Group and no one complained about anything.....

[​IMG]
    GringoRider, Chillis, liv2day and 3 others like this.
  10. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    May 25, 2021: Perspectives

@UtahGuido rode with us again for a second day of checking out areas we hadn't ridden much before. Like the Lockhart Basin day, we trucked south a ways to save range on the bikes and to make the slab time easier in the increasing heat. It was a pretty easy drive out to the Needles Overlook road, but not all the way out to that point. I also expanded @simbaboy 's worldview by introducing him to Caro Emerald.

The first almost twenty miles was wide gravel road (yawn). Dusty enough that everyone spread quite a ways apart from each other.

Looking towards Lockhart Basin.
    [​IMG]

Our first objective was Anticline Overlook. I wasn't sure what to expect except that it was supposed to be above Hurrah Pass. First views are up Kane Creek.
    [​IMG]

Then actually overlooking the ridge that Kane Creek Rd and Chicken Corners Rd meet at Hurrah Pass.
    [​IMG]
    This was an amazing sight. Having ridden out to Chicken Corners several times, this different perspective was really neat. You can see some of the buildings on the north end of Moab from this overlook, near the Colorado River.

This view shows some of the anticline, or arching of the rock layers, that give this point it's name.
    [​IMG]
    The potash plant is in the center top with the drying beds just out of the frame to the left.

Looking towards Island in the Sky in Canyonlands along the Colorado.
    [​IMG]
    Chicken Corners Rd on the bench above the river too. If you haven't gotten out to this viewpoint, it's well worth the time. Imu liked it so much he brought K back the next day.

But we didn't come out all this way to just spectate.
    [​IMG]
    We bailed off the main drag as soon as we could, heading south on the two track that roughly parallels it.

For a while it would be pretty flat, if sandy at times, then have some turns and climbs where there were cross drainages or steps up in elevation.
    [​IMG]
    Not too bad really, technically speaking.
    (Video 11 secs)

It seemed to bother some more than others.
    (Video 24 seconds)

[​IMG]
    It's funny to me to hear my camera "clicking".

Imu was right in his above post, mostly.
    [​IMG]
    John didn't complain.

(Video 45 seconds)

It was kind of like some weren't excited to be exploring.
    (Video 14 seconds)

No way were we getting back on the easy road that quick.

Views were good all the way around us.
    [​IMG]
    Really surprising how quickly the La Sals were losing the snow.

Gordon lost his brand new spare tubes.
    (Video 1:34)

The terrain got a bit rougher as we got onto the actual Boxcar Bridge Trail.
    [​IMG]
    But compared to the previous few days it wasn't too bad.

[​IMG]

Again, it was sandy in a few spots, but really not bad.
    [​IMG]

(Video 56 seconds)

The trickiest spot was Kamikaze Hill.
    (Video 1:59)

Tricky enough we had a little debrief afterwards.
    [​IMG]

The next hour or two was easy two track back to where we parked, followed by lunch at Milt's (FINALLY!). This whole area south of Moab deserves a lot more riding sometime in the future. Imu and I even discussed camping out this way for a few days to get rid of the "commute." Most of it isn't as scenic as other nearby areas, but there is a bunch of fun riding and no-one else out there to speak of.
    GringoRider, duhrider, NSFW and 8 others like this.
  11. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Caro Emerald :clap:clap
    Loved the music on the way to Anticline.
    This was the only day of riding about 10 days where I felt a little sick - -the heat and mild altitude got to me.
    I was sitting a lot more than I should have, you are right.
    When I thought we had reached the end of the trail and you said "you know me better, we are going forward...." that almost had me puking.
    Then, we got into a canyon where it was hot and I could not get comfortable whether I sat or walked around. I chose to walk around as there was no shade. I wasted a whole bottle of water splashing myself on the head and neck. I knew if John could keep going, I could at least try.
    You chose some excellent trails. I want more sand practice next year at Tower Arch.
    Great videos and pics and excellent narration.
    Imu

EDIT: I heard myself say "Shit, there is a Kamikaze Hill coming up?"
  12. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stunning scenery!! Great photos, and I really like the idea of short snips of video...I may have to copy that idea! :-)
    simbaboy likes this.
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy hell @ScotsFire - that's an insanely amazing capture man. F*ck - like aerial drone worthy. What a crazy cool picture, the road snaking on either side of that ridge line (??), the incredible scenery fading in the distance...wow. Like wow x100.

Plan to watch the videos when I have bandwidth...at work :lol2 :lol2.

Great update man, appreciate you posting the pics and story to go along with it. Yeah, I need to get out there and ride. Wow.
    bikerjim2000, simbaboy and ScotsFire like this.
  14. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    May 26, 2021: Moab is for Lovers

After five days of hard riding, we took a rest day off the bikes. I spent some of the morning pirating the internet from the Hampton Inn, where @simbaboy is known as The Mayor. In reality, it's Mrs. Simba they really like as she gets the staff pastries every day when they stay there. I agree with them, she's a sweetheart.

Speaking of sweethearts, mine was flying into Moab that afternoon. @NotaYinzer had booked a flight to arrive in the evening, but of course the airline changed her itinerary so she got in mid-afternoon. This revision meant she had to leave our home in N Idaho at closer to half past bed time rather than oh-dark-thirty as the flight was out of Missoula. It was also not communicated to her. The way she found out was a message telling her she could check in for her flight, which happens 24 hours ahead of time, a few hours earlier than she expected.

As an aside, I know many people that have been experiencing jacked up travel itineraries. My uncle had some credit card info scammed by unauthorized online booking services after changing a flight without his knowledge, so be careful whom you utilize for your bookings.

This day was also Vicki and my anniversary of our first date, so I really wanted it to be as romantic as possible. Thus the first stop after her arrival being the laundromat to get my clothes out of the dryer. After getting her unpacked at our campsite and getting a coffee and some food/beverage for later, I took her (in the truck) up to Island in the Sky in Canyonlands NP.

First stop was the Schafer Overlook.
    [​IMG]
    Preview of the next day's riding.

We did the short hike out to Mesa Arch.
    [​IMG]
    More impressive with the rising sun shining through. https://advrider.com/f/threads/wand...atest-ne-wa-nwp.1271588/page-12#post-40632786

The cloud cover didn't help the lighting.
    [​IMG]
    Yet still not a bad view.

Some of the flora was nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I am secure enough in my manhood to put flower pictures on the internet.

Once we got out to the Grandview Overlook, the sun started to poke under the clouds, which made the lighting a lot more interesting.
    [​IMG]
    Also a nice view of the White Rim Trail, which is coming up a couple days later. We walked out the Rim Trail from the overlook to catch the sunset.

Me and Miss Tipsy, we got a thang going on.
    [​IMG]
    Especially when she's wearing my quarterzip.

[​IMG]
    She does suffer from camera envy though. Takes a pretty good shot, she does.

Proving that my poor decision making is not limited to motorcycles.
    [​IMG]
    I thought I caught more air than that.

There's the sunshine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought it was cool how the virga was mirroring the rock points.
    [​IMG]
    Ended up being coincidental. But still neat.

Last light over the WRT.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moon came up just after the sun set, which made for some great views, but hard to photograph.
    [​IMG]
    Very well anyways.

Vicki got a good introduction to the sights around Moab, but her real SE Utah experience started the next day.
    GringoRider, liv2day, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  15. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
    Very Nice!
    Imu
  16. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    To my surprise, after traveling 1400 miles to the Moab KOA (of all places), I met a lady (babe) from Colorado Springs who was on a girl's weekend with her boss and friends. She was attracted to my KLR (babe magnet) and stop to admire it's sex appeal, we started talking and I found out she likes riding dirt bikes. Unfortunately, I had to leave the following morning to make my way to the Grand Canyon for a helicopter tour reservation (that got cancelled). Long story short, we have been in pretty much daily contact since. I have planned a trip to Colorado this Summer. :getiton
  17. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
    Unless she sees your KTM and wants it for herself. That would be grounds for a breakup.

Imu
    Dirty bird likes this.
  18. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    The KTM is out of the question!
    simbaboy likes this.
  19. Dirty bird

Oddometer:
    She's already mentioned that the KTM is the same colors as her Denver Broncos.:hmmmmm
    simbaboy likes this.
  20. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, sounds like she is only interested in you for your bike(s). Beware such a Gold Digger. :rofl