Maybe a future F1 driver....

Discussion in 'Sports' started by k7, Nov 22, 2009.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Thanks bud. Will do.
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is he hearing from any indy owners yet?
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I thought I had read that he signed as a Haas development driver, didn't I?
  4. k7

Oddometer:
    He drives for a current Indy owner who has stated on many occasions that he wants to take him to Indy. TBD of course.

Maybe you're thinking of Ferrucci and not Franzoni?

I forgot that it was raining at Barber yesterday. I actually called that for Victor on Saturday when they mentioned it was going to be a wet day by telling my wife that if it's wet, Victor has a great chance to be on the podium. He raced quite a bit in Brazil where rain is damn near as common as sunshine. lol

It appears the early favorite is a Mexican kid, Patricio O'Ward. He's won four races already and can really drive also. The kid is talented and his team is doing a great job.
  5. RedRocket

Oddometer:
    I suppose you're correct, and I have brain fade.
  6. k7

Oddometer:
    One thing I didn't realize - when they ran the qualifying event for the second race, the track was dry. Victor qualified second so his advantage wasn't necessary due to a wet track but rather the changes they made between race 1 and race 2. That should give them more confidence as the season moves forward and confidence is a huge factor in racin'.
  7. k7

Oddometer:
    The racing world lost a good guy yesterday. The guy who put Victor on the track last year was killed on the track. Without Jeff, who knows where Victor would be today. Jeff was wealthy- no doubt - but he was known for helping others. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met...a true, rare, gentleman in today’s world.

Link

The owner of Green Chevrolet and Green Ford, Jeff Green, has been killed in an auto racing accident in Canada.

Durham, Ontario Region Police in a news release stated officers were called to a crash involving a race car at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in Bowmanville, Ontario around 4:30 p.m. (EDT) Saturday.

Police say Green, 61, lost control of the 1972 Lola T300 race car he was driving around corner eight and left the track colliding with a wall.

Track safety staff including a medical doctor attended to Green and had to extricate him from the race car.

Green was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police said the race car had passed inspection before being permitted on the track.

The news release did not identify Green as the driver, but a report in the Toronto Star and several social media posts have identified Green as the victim.

One Facebook post claimed a witness stated it appeared Green’s race car seemingly did not brake to slow for the corner.

Durham police were seeking information from anyone who may have information about the incident or witnessed the crash.

The Toronto Star report indicated a Durham police sergeant said many members of Green’s family, including his wife, were watching the race at the track.

[​IMG]
    Doug Barr/Facebook
    The report stated Green’s car was in a racing class popular in the 1970s and used by racing legends such as Mario Andretti.

[​IMG]

The remainder of Saturday’s races were canceled as an on site investigation continued. Track officials said the Motorsport Park would likely reopen Sunday.

According to the website chevystore.com, Green started in the automotive business by cleaning cars in Monmouth at the age of 13, eventually becoming a technician.

Green went to Northwood University in Midland, Michigan to study Automotive Marketing and Business and earned Bachelors and Associates degrees.

Green later was in Danville for 18 years running Chevrolet and Mazda dealerships. Green moved to Peoria in 1997 where he purchased the Chevrolet dealership and later a Ford dealership.

The website states Green was involved in the day-to-day operations of both Green Chevrolet and Green Ford.
  8. RedRocket

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. People like him are rare in the world of the rich.
    shrineclown likes this.
  9. k7

Oddometer:
    Yep. Truly a good man.
    shrineclown likes this.
  10. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    RIP---sorry to see this news.

Got to watch the lad during Indy....he definitely has promise.
    k7 likes this.
  11. k7

Oddometer:
    Thanks... on both counts.

I guess the older I get, the more people I seem to lose. This makes 4 deaths of people fairly close to us in the last two weeks. Social media gets that kind of news around that much faster also. <sigh>
  12. k7

Oddometer:
    Victor and his team seem to be getting better. At Indy, Victor roared into first place but a cut tire moved him to the back of the pack.

At Road America, he set the fastest lap fairly early, backed down, watch his position fall as others got faster and with only 3 min left in qualifying, reclaimed the pole.

Tomorrow, they’ll run the second qualifying event before the first race.

5EC293C5-B299-403F-B63C-E7333B1A595F.jpeg

Victor’s dad paid tribute to Jeff Green on the stock car they run in Brazil. Nice touch.

F021E700-6E49-4A28-933C-D86D1843A99D.jpeg
    Codewheeney likes this.
  13. k7

Oddometer:
    Third yesterday and....first today!

98635C80-D6D5-47A6-87BE-E5C165314887.jpeg

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. – This past week has been a roller-coaster of emotion for popular Brazilian Victor Franzoni. After losing his mentor and good friend (and fellow Pro Mazda Presented by Cooper Tires racer) Jeff Green to an accident during a vintage event last weekend in Canada, the reigning Pro Mazda champion claimed his first Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires pole yesterday.

Franzoni finished a slightly disappointed third on Saturday, but fully made amends this morning by securing his first victory on the highest rung of the Mazda Road to Indy open-wheel development ladder for Juncos Racing.

Colton Herta, from Valencia, Calif., maintained his recent run of success by finishing second for Andretti-Steinbrenner Racing, while local favorite Aaron Telitz (Belardi Auto Racing), from Birchwood, Wis., overtook early leader Patricio “Pato” O’Ward (Andretti Autosport) for third with a fine pass just three laps from the finish.

O’Ward, from Monterrey, Mexico, started on pole for today’s Mazda Indy Lights Grand Prix of Road America Presented by Cooper Tires, with Franzoni alongside on the front row of the grid. A fine start saw O’Ward edge clear on the first lap, his escape aided slightly by Santi Urrutia (Belardi Auto Racing) finding his way past Franzoni.

After finishing a frustrated second in the Indy Lights championship in each of the past two years, Urrutia showed his paces by edging closer to O’Ward before glimpsing an opportunity to dive for the inside line under braking for Turn Five. The optimistic move resulted in stout contact between the pair and enabled Franzoni to pounce past both of them on the exit of the corner.

After Urrutia made a lengthy pit stop to replace his car’s nosecone, O’Ward was able to maintain second place for a few laps, despite intense pressure from championship leader Herta. Finally, on Lap Seven, Herta was able to use his AER/Mazda turbo engine’s push-to-pass feature to its optimal effect by overtaking O’Ward on the long downhill run toward Turn Five.

Herta, though, was unable to challenge Franzoni, who turned a series of fastest laps and continued to pull away to become the season’s fourth different winner. Franzoni’s eventual margin of victory aboard his distinctive Soul Red Dallara-Mazda IL-15 was a commanding 8.0153 seconds.

Herta, who has now finished on the podium in all but one of the nine races held so far this season, finished a relatively lonely second and has now stretched his championship lead to 17 points over O’Ward, 245-228, with eight races remaining. Herta also picked up the Tilton Hard Charger Award after lining up fourth on the starting grid.

Telitz delighted his home crowd by using the last of his push-to-pass capability to squeeze past O’Ward for third place on Lap 18 and secure his third podium finish of the season.

Ryan Norman, from Aurora, Ohio, rounded out the top five for Andretti Autosport.

Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires will return to action at Iowa Speedway on July 7/8 for the second oval race of the 17-race season.

Victor Franzoni (#23 Mazda Motorsports-Juncos Racing Dallara-Mazda IL-15): “This has been a difficult weekend for us. We came here with two kinds of pressure: to get back into the points fight and to make a good showing for Jeff (Green). I got the pole yesterday but had one of the worst races of my career, and today I had the best race of my career – and I’m glad that I could give that to Jeff. He’s the one who got me into Indy Lights and to give him this victory means so much. The Juncos team gave me an amazing car, it was so fast today. It took a while, but it’s so nice to have my first victory in Indy Lights and now we have to try to win every race and get back into the championship. I think when you win a race, you open a door and you start to win more races. It will be difficult, but I’ll try to use the end of the year to win and learn as much as I can. I don’t know what will happen for next year but I know I’ll be ready.”
    shrineclown likes this.
  14. k7

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a rich friend or uncle with a spare $40,000 lying around ? Several racers wrecked on the same corner in Toronto including Victor. It didn’t look that bad but the damages are about $40,000 which Victor doesn’t have. He’s obligated to get the car on the starting line but he can’t race in it’s damaged condition. His father has no idea what’s next.

@#$&%
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Will Victor be racing at Mid-Ohio?
  16. k7

Oddometer:
    Last word was that he would be racing there. I’ll reach out to his dad and confirm.
  17. k7

Oddometer:
    @viajero - Just confirmed that Victor is racing at Mid-Ohio and his dad is there with him.
  18. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hope he has a better weekend than his previous outing.

If he expects to keep his ride he'll need more wins. There are some very good drivers coming up through the lower feeder series.
  19. k7

Oddometer:
    Yep. It’s a crowded field in Pro Mazda too. I don’t see a path forward for him. He can’t win the championship this year and without Jeff Green (rip), he can’t even afford ProMazda. I think all of those factors got to him in Toronto.

Anyone know a real multimillionaire worth over say, $50MM who loves Motorsports?
  20. k7

Oddometer: