Maybe a future F1 driver....

Discussion in 'Sports' started by k7, Nov 22, 2009.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    More that a second of the best time. Not looking good.

Loss of confidence? Over driving? Worn out engine?
  2. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    I think Jeff's loss is hurting him terribly...and I'm guessing he's worried about damaging the car.
  3. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Hoopy Frood Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go Fund me? Team ADV?
  4. k7

Oddometer:
    That's a tough ask and generally speaking, it takes someone with money who wants a ringside seat. He did a go fund me and you & I were one of a small handful of contributors.

I read this the other day: Behind the Shadowy Billion-Dollar Payouts of F1, NASCAR, and IndyCar

When it comes to sponsors, there are teams who have them all like Andretti Autosport and Team Penske, and there are others who hardly have any, like newbies Harding and Juncos. Also, there are top teams like Chip Ganassi Racing who used to have it all (back in the Target days), but their current state reflects how hard it can be to sign multi-year, multi-million-dollar sponsorships nowadays. Their current deal with PNC Bank appears to be bringing decent cash, but sources close to the team claim that everyone at CGR, including Scott Dixon, earns less money today than they did five and 10 years ago.​

and....

"What money?" would be what approximately 30 percent of the grid would say when asked that question. Reporting reveals that top drivers on top teams can make a decent living (although they're still severely underpaid compared to other athletes), that some drivers earn an "ok" six-figure salary thanks to sponsors, and that about 30 percent of the field doesn't make a dime—they're simply hoping for a breakthrough. Most shockingly, there are still others who have gone into debt in order to buy a seat, hoping that any prize money or sponsorship money they earn during the year will repay the loan.

This is a glimpse into the top open-wheel racing series in the United States.

Sponsorship and team salaries aside (if any), this is what drivers could receive from IndyCar each race should they finish in the top 12.

• $30,000 first place
    • $20,000 second
    • $15,000 third
    • $11,000 fourth
    • $10,000 fifth
    • $9,000 sixth
    • $8,000 seventh
    • $6,000 eighth
    • $5,000 ninth
    • $4,000 10th
    • $3,000 11th
    • $2,000 12th
    Think that's not so bad? Think again. Not only are these anemic numbers considerably smaller than what Champ Car and CART drivers used to make in the 1990s, but what most people don't know is that drivers' contracts state that anywhere from 50 to 70 percent of the prize money goes to the team—without exception. These clauses typically feature sliding percentages, in which a driver who finishes 15th and below might keep 30 percent of the prize money, 10th to 15th place keeps 35 percent, the top nine 40 percent, top five 45 percent, and a winning driver gets to keep half of the prize money.

So let's build a hypothetical season for a hypothetical driver with that specific prize money breakdown. If said driver were to win half of the races in the 2018 season (not counting the Indy 500)—and that would be quite the feat—he would only net $120,000 in prize money at the end of the year. Because drivers are considered self-employed and these monies would be earned in several states and under different tax laws, it's safe to assume that our driver would have a tax burden of around 35 percent, which means that if no other income is earned that year, our hypothetical all-star driver would've risked his life at 230 miles per hour for an entire year in exchange for roughly $85,800, after taxes. However, our made-up driver would earn even less if he opted for the minimum life and health insurance plans offered to high-risk athletes.

"Drivers all have to be self-insured," an active IndyCar driver told me. "Nothing is offered from the series. Justin Wilson didn’t have life insurance when he was killed."

This is why drivers with decent reputations must spend their entire racing season selling car, suit, and helmet advertising space. If they don't win half the season's races, and they don't race for a team who pays them a decent salary, and they don't have hefty sponsors—they couldn't afford to rent a decent apartment in suburban Indiana.
    Victor is talking to other teams already but we know how that goes - they need money, he needs a seat. They need wins also and he can deliver that. More wins will attract kids with money. Victor gets dropped in that case... no money.

You gotta really want this since the payoff is very limited. We throw money at him but that's out of love for the kid. We don't have the means to give him that much as we're facing retirement. I have some side stuff going that may pay off in 5 or 6 years but even then, it won't be the million that he needs to run another year at Indy Lights. The best hope is for one of the major teams to pick him up or another Jeff Green comes along to which half a million wouldn't be a huge deal. That would probably resolve many of his issues.

5. viajero

Oddometer:
    And Mazda is dropping their support for the Road to Indy at the end of the year.
  6. k7

Oddometer:
    Yep. Victor posted a note on FB that kind of told me that something was up. That was confirmed later in the day. I assume that Anderson Promotions is pursuing another manufacturer i.e. Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc.
  7. viajero

Oddometer:
    Racer.com has an article saying that engines are set for the next 2-3 years.
  8. k7

Oddometer:
  9. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is he closing in on a seat yet?
  10. viajero

Oddometer:
    Racer.com posted an article about him doing a touring car race in ?Argentina? in a Renault. He's to be a co-driver.
  11. k7

Oddometer:
    He did and ended up 9th after starting in 20th.

He did another endurance race in norcal...the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Victor put them on the pole:

And, in his own words,

One of the most awesome experience of my life!! 25H of racing!! I’m happy to had the opportunity to do it and even happier for our result, we made the pole and we fought like crazy to come back to top 5 after lose 1 hour and a half to fix the stator!! But we made it!! Top 5 overall and 2nd in our class!! ​
  12. k7

Oddometer:
    Not yet but typically, anyone who really needs a driver and has money won't come knocking up the very last minute. I got the impression that he was going to give it up and go into coaching but maybe the endurance stuff will open a door for him. It certainly can't hurt. The boy was born to drive.
  13. k7

Oddometer:
    https://www.radicalsportscars.com/news/radical-locks-out-esr-podium-at-the-25-hours-of-thunderhill

"The #10 led the field into turn one, and for the first few hours jockeyed for the lead with the Norma. Contact while Eric Wagner was behind the wheel forced the car behind the wall for a quick alignment, but a bigger blow came shortly after when the custom electrical generator the team was running failed and had to be replaced, taking the #10 out of commission for almost 90 minutes. They then mounted a remarkable comeback, led by Dempsey and Franzoni who drove at qualifying pace. From running as low as 34th they clawed their way to back into the top five."
    shrineclown likes this.
  14. k7

Oddometer:
    Victor’s back in Brazil. The “Old Stock Car” vehicle is his father’s. No clue about the other race but man, what a car, a Lamborghini Huracán. One of these is not like the other. https://m.facebook.com/ViaItaliaRacing/

2A9C7720-8303-4079-8A1C-14203F3882B3.jpeg
    shrineclown likes this.
  15. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
  16. k7

Oddometer:
    ....and, they won!

(In Portuguese, sorry.)
  17. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
    :clap

From google's auto translate:

He seems like a super kid, I hope he keeps getting good rides.
  18. k7

Oddometer:
    Victor just posted this. He’s racing the Roar Before 24 in Daytona this weekend with the same team he raced with a few weeks ago. If they do well, he’ll race the 24 Hours of Daytona. I wonder if they’ll go to Le Mans? Lol

65B8962A-F9C7-4111-9064-47AF91BE1F5B.jpeg
    Codewheeney likes this.
  19. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
    I'll be rooting for him. Looking forward to the 24 Hours, get the racing year started right. Domestic IMSA sportscar racing has been great these last few years.
  20. k7

Oddometer:
    Victor has an offer on the table to race Indy Lights again but he needs to cover tires and entry fees. Yeah - that's $150k he doesn't have. We'll kick in what we can considering that I'll likely retire this year but if you know anyone with $$$ to spare, loves racing and wants to sponsor Victor, let me know and I'll put you in contact with his dad.