Maybe going back to a GPS.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by BigFatAl, Sep 11, 2019.

1. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gave up on stand alone GPS’s about 5 years ago and went to smart phones only,but now I’m considering going back.
    My main question is this,is there a stand alone GPS that doesn’t need to be connected to a computer for downloading routes/tracks ??.
    I do not own a computer,iPads only and don’t want to buy a computer just for the GPS.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, yes the Zumo 396 has WiFi for easy map and software updates without a computer.

Second, look at something like the Lexar MicroSD to lightening card reader and the iOS app from Lexar. It allows you to move files from iOS device to card and vis-versa. I used it on my TAT ride to move some gpx files I had put in Dropbox onto a MicroSD card that I put in my Zumo to do an alternate path.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could you share with us why you are going back to a GPS? I have a Zumo 590 sitting in my closet for the last 4 years and was thinking of selling it, but wondered if I'd ever want to go back.
  4. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the rides I do are sent to people via computer and then downloaded to there GPS device.
    Getting the sender to email me the tracks and then get them in my iPhone or my android isn’t always feasible.
    I’ve had 3 different OLD Garmins but back then I had a laptop,I find using the smartphone works well when I can get the tracks or routes on them.
    The BDR ones seem to transfer to my phones ok but some others don’t .
    Davidprej likes this.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    how are you getting tracks?
  6. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BDR ones are just downloaded from there website straight to my phone but others are emailed tome and I may or may not be able to download them.
  7. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your phone IS a computer. I cannot image a situation where tracks can easily go to a "computer" but not just as easily go to a phone? That doesn't make any sense to me. Am I missing something?
    SmittyBlackstone, EmmEff and worwig like this.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if it's an email attachment, just hit the download button and open with whatever map app your using
    NJDualsporter likes this.
  9. Addapost

Oddometer:
    That's how I get almost all gpx tracks onto my phone- email. TAT story from this summer- I bought all the other states gpx files but I forgot to buy Sam's Utah tracks. I had been following UTBDR and Kevin's tracks until I got to Baker NV when I decided right then and there eating lunch at Subway that I wanted Sam's Utah tracks to follow to Idaho and complete the collection. I ordered them from his website and he emailed them to me before I was done eating. I opened the email, downloaded the file to Gaia on my iPhone, finished my lunch and was off.
    SmittyBlackstone and BigFatAl like this.
  10. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TomTom Rider you can download and update at an cafe or petrol station that has wireless internet. It also has a crap load of bike orientated options as it is made specifically for bikers, I believe it is to date the best unit I have owned and I say that after many years with many Garmin units. The location for petrol stations is an example of how niffy it is, you can turn on the option of a side bar showing a constantly updating distance to multiple stations, unobtrusive and useful. I am really happy with it.

Touratech (I may have spelled that incorrectly) do a lockable mount mine fits to the 10mm cross bar. Also a great piece of kit.
    kickstandsup and jasiu like this.
  11. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess it’s in the way they formatted or sent ??.
    I don’t really know because I’m not computer savvy.
    But here’s a example
    I did a ride called the griptwister tour,it was a 3 day 600 mile off-road ride.The route is sent to the participants via a CD.
    Supposedly you put it in your computer and transfer it to your gps.
    It took awhile but I finally got the tour operator to email me the route but it took several tries.
  12. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Ok got it, that makes sense. Not sure how I would handle anything sent to me on CD, I haven't had a CD drive on a computer in 3 years.
  13. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    additionally, most of the somewhat older gps's don't work when plugged in to a mobile or tablet. Sometimes it will work with a OTG-cable and an additional power source, but often not. Bugs me too, thinking about selling my garmin 390lm.

But the other options have their drawbacks, too. Charging a cellphone in the rain? Mostly not possible, even with IP86-phones. Via Qi - maybe, but phones often get hot and then fail in the sunlight. Rain on the phone screen does fake-input and the app is acting up. Brightness often not sufficient.

I wish they'd make something like the garmins hardware-wise, but with android, so you can run the apps you want, that'd be perfect.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your gps has a removable uSD card, you can pull the card out and use an OTG card reader to transfer files from an Android phone to the card.
    You just have to get them to the right folder, Garmin\GPX for a Montana.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    CDs ? snail mail ? wow, that poor ride organizer, that's a lot of work instead of just emailing tracks!

...but you're the receiving end of this deal. if the organization is sending gpx (or kmz or whatever) tracks, it literally takes ten seconds to download, import, and view them on a smartphone.

i don't know how you would do that on a stand alone, do they have web browsers ? Gmail ?
    Davidprej and BigFatAl like this.
  16. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    A. How does going back to a stand alone GPS read a CD?
    B. I have actually plugged a OTG cable and external CD into my Android phone to read files on the CD. I could read files sent to me on a CD. That is probably limited in formats and such.
    C. Maybe you can use a library computer to extract the CD data and not buy a computer just for those occasions.
    mouthfulloflake and BigFatAl like this.
  17. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t know there was a way to get info from a CD to a android phone !!.
    I think I will just keep the phone and get a OTG cable and external CD/DVD reader
  18. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess the route is 25 years old...
    BigFatAl likes this.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

(this is a joke)

i think you can still get serial to USB-c dongles, so that old 200 baud modem can still be used at the payphone booth !
    NJDualsporter and BigFatAl like this.
  20. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Nope.

plenty of screen brightness, and I wear sunglasses, and have a tinted screen on the helmet often, sun, heat, pouring rain, still charging my Duraforce Pro via a $3 USB cable, that is not a real issue.
    BigFatAl likes this.