Maybe going back to a GPS.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by BigFatAl, Sep 11, 2019.

1. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can not guarantee it will work for you. I did it just to try it out and was surprised that it worked.
  2. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course there was the time my over priced waterproof Garmin Street Pilot started SMOKING in the rain because the connection at the GPS got wet.
    Then there is the time my over price waterproof Garmin 276C hardware filled with water in the rain.

I gave up on the delicate over priced Garmins and switched to a phone. Fewer issues, and much lower cost. I usually charge the phone in the rain too.
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem charging my iPhone 6s in its Lifeproof case in the rain. The charging port is on the bottom of the phone, there’s no way rain is going up there.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  4. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    My issue is touch screen with gloves.
    This is what keeps me using my Garmin 60csx.

I like buttons that can be used with riding gloves.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I've owned the 60csx. after using it on several outings i realized why all the Garmin units never had anything for a description on waypoints/tracks, ABV they were all just time stamped:
    the arrow buttons were terrible at text input !

after testing the accuracy (which was poorer than my smartphones) and ease of use, i sold it. same with the Montana, Oregon, and others. the text input was just too awkward and slow. as a result, i never put any text descriptors into waypoints/tracks, while using the Garmin devices.

recording 25-35 waypoints while on a day ride, and then trying to remember what each one was hours or days later when finally plugging the unit into basecamp... was silly.

the two seconds it takes to remove a glove, type out a long description for each waypoint, add audio/video/picture attachments to that waypoint, is soooo much better than hardware buttons and the missing touch screen.
    levain likes this.
  6. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    5-10$ touch screen compatible stylus. Glove problem solved.

I can't understand how that point is listed as an issue in every smartphone as gps discussion.
    Not even mentioning the possibility of handlebar mounted bluetooth remotes...
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some apps require two fingers to pinch/zoom. Stylus won't help much. And while the conductive thread in the gloves generally works, I find it tends to wear out and need replaced.

But I still prefer the smartphone in spite of a few annoying things like that.
  8. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Works great in principle.
    But Try it while in motion?

With buttons I can zoom, jump forward or backward in my screens.

I get it folks, some of you like you smart phone.

I’m in the other group. Been using my 60csx for almost 15 years. I have mastered conversion tracks to routes or other way around. I have both topo and streets loaded (which operate differently on routes) and with 15 years of saved files, it just works for me.

I tried the phone thing. I’m faster at manipulating the old Garmin.

To each his own.
    BarryB, Bultaco206, bwdmax and 2 others like this.
  9. Failo

Failo Is it spring yet???

Oddometer:
    I also find myself increasingly frustrated with using a phone as a gps and have been thinking of going back to a stand alone gps, particularly the 276cx. I just miss the larger, brighter screen and the ability to do things without stopping and taking off my gloves.

I really want to like my Duraforce Pro as a gps, and I'll still use it in the car, but it's just not working for me on the bike.
    NJDualsporter likes this.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:

what are you trying to do while riding ? (in motion)
  11. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    I had a Garmin 60csx that crashed(into a tree). I couldn't imagine buying another Garmin consumer GPS. Military, Marine, Aviation yes but their consumer product and support sucks. Their 276cx is nice but not when you look at the startup problems, not at that price. All their software and hardware is proprietary in the face of a used $50 tuffphone with darn near free, updated software from a variety of sources that works, easily added apps for ther functions and it's also a phone if you want it.

I remember when MS-Windows 3.0 came out. Everyone laughed. When Windows 3.1 came out everyone with proprietary hardware and software cried. The idea of the 'killer app' was born. Get what you want big or small. Have a game plan for what you will do when it breaks.
    ohgood, BigFatAl and EmmEff like this.
  12. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can go back that far I think that the first killer app was the VisiCalc spreadsheet back in 1979.:-)
    ohgood likes this.
  13. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. For me locus has zoom in and out tactile button so that works with the stylus. And I can do it even faster with then mentionned bluetooth remote.

I avoid playing around with a screen in motion, but if I really want to do that, again bluetooth remote works better and is safer than touching screen with gloves.
    ohgood likes this.
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I've seen two people crash while trying to manipulate their Garmin's while riding. One guy slammed into a forest service gate at a pretty high clip. Needless to say, his trip ended right there. Seems about as intelligent as texting while driving. Of course there are always going to be those people that say they have no problem fiddling around with their GPS while riding. But then you come across plenty of people that say the same about texting and driving. :dunno

I never did it when I used to use dedicated GPS's. I don't do it now with phones. Also, my Samsung S5 has a glove setting. Works just fine with regular ole riding gloves.

At the end of the day. The phones with their ultra fast processors and screens with high refresh rates just wok so much better for me then any of the Garmins I ever owned it's not even a contest. I can scroll across a whole state in the time it would take to scroll across a couple miles on my old Montana.
    NJDualsporter and ohgood like this.
  15. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Touch sensitive gloves on phone, stylus on phone, buttons on Garmin- it’s all the same! If someone thinks they are safer while moving using buttons on their Garmin vs. touch screen on phone they don’t understand the situation and they are deluding themselves. Leave whatever unit you have alone while moving. Or don’t, go ahead a frig around with it. Just don’t expect to be safer if it’s buttons on a Garmin.
    ohgood and BigFatAl like this.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO if you are such a klutz that you can't occasionally touch the zoom in and zoom out buttons/icons on a gps while riding a nonchallenging section, you shouldn't be riding at all.
    You are going to hurt yourself.
  17. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    Haha, I'm with you here.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    don't forget about AUTO ZOOM TO SPEED and using hardware buttons to zoom. ;-) and auto-zoom actually works in apps, unlike the "oh crap my etrex just went to another county!" standalone experiences ;-)
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    extremely good advice. i've watched street riders go right off the edge of the interstate while messing with hardware controlled gps (or was it infotainment? i dunno!) on their mooorsicles. it's a really bad idea.... and it WILL BITE YOU one day !
    Addapost likes this.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:

I hope you can keep being right about this. Cause it's really gonna hurt when you're wrong.