Maybe move to Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Mattbastard, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Back in 2015 Mrs. Bastard and I moved from Milwaukee after 35 years of live all over Wisconsin to try our hands at some of the best weather in the ConUS; San Diego. Well, yea the weather's perfect but that's all it has going for it. Cost of living is absolutely nuts! a 3bd-2ba with a small attached garage can run upwards of $600K depending on neighborhood (our current rental is that size with comps in the mid $500's in Mira Mesa). And the politics is getting rather nutty as well. We're self-proclaimed Libertarians who lean Red if we have to pick a side, there's no place out here for independent thought like that from what I've gathered. Now with that whole "New California" movement, and we're both pretty sick of our jobs, we're looking east. My folks live in Ft. Myers, and I've got business connections in Tampa so we're thinking Gulf Coast between Tampa and Naples.

So, what's the riding like? And for that matter, life in general? My dad rides his 2014 Street Glide with his American Legion buddies on weekly rides and occasional rallies. I prefer street riding, and I'm not opposed to packing light for a long weekend into the Smokey's a few times a year. I've been to FL a bunch of times and the motorcycle scene doesn't seem too much different than it does here in San Diego.
    KimPossible likes this.
  2. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    I’m in the western corner of the Panhandle, but I can tell ya for a certainty that compared to CA, FL will offer:
    -lower housing prices/property taxes
    -flatter & straighter street riding (possibly an advantage on a Street Glide):lol3
    -more libertarian-friendly politics
    -a great deal more rainfall & humidity
    -overall cost of living savings that will finance many long wknd trips to the WNC mountains

As for life in general, of course that’s highly subjective. But without a doubt the FL Panhandle has offered me the highest quality of life I’ve ever experienced...then again I’ve never lived anywhere but the Southeast. I know this—I’m waaaay too much of a cheap bastard to ever be happy in California!
    KimPossible likes this.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind he's a KLR rider. :lol3

But he speaks the truth.
    wee-twin and Buzztail like this.
  4. iMakeTheMaps

iMakeTheMaps Walking Contradiction

Oddometer:

The riding is generally better in the northern part of the state. More of it overall. Less populated for street riding, many more options for off-road riding. Living in the Tampa Bay/central FL area gives you pretty good access to the entire state. Other than the western panhandle and the Keys, you're basically no more than 4-5 hours to anywhere in Florida, with a lot of destinations in the 2-3 hours range.

There's a line at approximately Lake Okeechobee that divides the state. From there down you're in South Florida, and it might as well be a different state than the rest. Central FL is a blend, the northern part of the state is actually part of the South. Not only do demographics, culture, lifestyle, cost etc. change, but the weather does too. Tropical to sub-tropical makes a difference during the transition periods between our 2 seasons of 'Nice' and 'Hot Sweaty Mess'.
  5. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I live in Tampa, have lived in Hillsborough County all my life. LMK if you have any specific questions about the area.

Where do you want to live? City? Suburbia? Boonies? Plenty of each here. Houses (and the traffic to go with them) a plenty. I echo the S. FL comment, it's definitely different once you go past Alligator Alley.
  6. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've lived in CA all my life and I totally agree with you.. however, although there are earthquakes (like 1 every 10 years) I'm not sure I could deal with the constant hurricanes and sweltering summers either. Is there an option C?
  7. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Hurricanes are a crap shoot, have a mind of their own. I've lived in central and N. Florida 70 years and seen 3. One that skirted the coast in Daytona (Dora in '64, but hit Jax beach), Matthew in '16 and Irma in '17, only ones to hit Jax since Dora (but we sit in a big cove and the Atlantic ones usually don't take a left here).

I was in Englewood briefly last year kind of a neat little coastal town but you could see the growth like everything else on the SW coast, too claustrophobic for me and too far to get the heck outta Dodge when necessary. SE coast may be worse, Jupiter to Miami is nuts. Center of the state, except the big O and 30 mile radius, is pretty laid back and has some nice towns from medium to small. The best riding is in the north central and panhandle, on or offroad.
    EddieFL likes this.
  8. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Sweltering summers, yep those are a certainty. And FL is indeed smack-dab in the middle of Hurricane Alley, but I wouldn’t call the hurricanes “constant” by any means. Like waybill said, they’re a crapshoot—last time my county got slammed was Ivan in ‘04, knock on wood. Hell, the entire state got a 12-year break from ‘05-‘17, with no major (Cat 3+) hurricane landfalls...of course, Irma made up for lost time:dunno
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    At least with hurricanes you have a head's up. Not so much with fault shifts.

And there's CADS. Cali doesn't have CADS. :deal
  10. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    " lean Red...independent thought"

:lol3 Awesome! C'mon down to FL. We're all pretty equally content with the Wild West feel of the place. Even us free thinking blue leaning wierdos. :chace
  11. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Good stuff all around, thanks everyone. I've been to FL a lot, both for work and recreation. I can live without the hills, and I like that it's still close to bluewater. I'd love to take up sailing but it's so damn expensive out here. A slip in a dive marina is over $500 a month without even mention boat prices and registration fees/taxes.

WTF's a CADS?
  12. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    It's another section of the forum:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ture-dual-sport.884056/page-274#post-34104108

They have this one guy there that can balance tires really good. :D
    Huzband likes this.
  13. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. EagleTodd

EagleTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, I lived in Minnesota 50 some years. Rode MN and Wisconsin a lot. Trails and road. I have been to San Diego, but only for vacation. So I don't know much about the riding there. I am currently living in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida in the Winter and Hinckley, Minnesota in the Summer. If you come from Wisconsin, you will be disappointed in the riding in South West Florida like I am. Minnesota and especially Wisconsin, was heaven for riding. So many options, so many rural roads, so much forest land. South West Florida, not so much heaven. Roads are flat and straight. The joke down here is: Tail of the Dragon has 318 curves in 11 miles, SW Florida has 11 curves in 318 miles. The other thing is that Florida is a peninsula. So water on 3 sides. 140 miles and 3 hours for a coast to coast ride. The traffic in the cities can be bad. The heat can be tough. I need to stay hydrated when going on a days ride. Sitting in traffic at a stop light can be tough. That's the bad stuff. I can ride all WINTER THOUGH!!!! I still love riding down here though. And I continue to venture out further to try to find more routes.

Good luck with your decision!!
  15. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living where is very subjective. We retired 20 years ago and moved from Southern California to destin Florida in the panhandle. Affectionately called the redneck Rivera! In the beginning, the beaches helped compensate for the underlying problems. But after 15 years in Florida, we were ready to get out of dodge!
    Heat
    Humidity
    Fucking mosquitoes

We have since moved to New Mexico and absolutely love it.

Food for thought..
  16. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    No state income tax, some affordable real estate, steady weather outside brutal May-early October heat/humidity/wet season, some ok-riding in panhandle area and north-central.

I’ve lived in almost all “4 corners” of state; st. Augustine, Deland, Tallahassee, Jupiter. I definitely had the most extracurricular fun in Tallahassee and St. Augustine with the bike, maybe not best in terms of career/salary levels. South Florida has grown on me, but I want out sooner than later, get back to seeing more rural parts and more affordable rent.

Your dollar will definitely carry you further, but it’s also not near the same niceness as San Diego.
  17. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    New Mexico is the new Florida.... everyone go there!!!
  18. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    He moved up to V-Stroms. Have you seen the value hit they took?
    Philip Kuntz, Ginger Beard and JCool like this.
  19. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Grew up here. Moved away and then returned. My Michigan wife and my NC son both hate it here. Too flat, hot, rainy, muggy, buggy, congested, infested, sink holed, Mouse Housed, golf coursed, gray headed, hanging chad, insane drivers, pot smoking divers, Snow Birds, Florida Man, Football fan, Flood plan, insurance scam (car and house). No snow or autumn glow, out-of-state tags everywhere you go. Fire ants, sharks, gators, mosquitos, jelly fish and rip tides. Zero lot lines, two zones of time, wild swine (could be a plus) and red tides. I-95 is New York and I-75 is Ohio. Pensacola really belongs to Alabama and Tallahassee really belongs to Georgia. Diseased orange trees, dying Everglades, homeless people in spades. Then there's the whole Miami Cuban sandwich vs the Tampa Cuban sandwich. We all know the Tampa Cuban is the original.
    As far as I see it, what's not to love.
    coletrain and CaptD like this.
  20. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Did I mention sand gets into EVERYTHING?